Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I've always liked FF10's combat system for how easy it makes it to plan ahead. Though admittedly it's also partly because I was never that big a fan of the standard FF4-FF9 ATB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I always kind of liked how combat in these early areas is basically a "match the party member to the enemy" game. It's obviously not gonna stay that simple forever, but I don't think it ever entirely stops being a thing you keep in mind.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Eh, the entire Overdrive system is kind of a mess. But that's a topic for later, once we've met everyone.
I do like that you can keep them saved up for when you actually want to use them (looking at you, FF9) but there's certainly room for improvement.

Falconier111 posted:

As someone with chronic tendon pain caused by rapid repetitive movements I am so looking forward to putting off using some people’s Overdrives as long as possible.
I pretty much only regularly use the ones that don't require special action commands (so Yuna & her aeons, Kimahri's blue magic, and the Chemist), but I'm fully aware that'll have to change if I ever get to the point of trying to fight endgame superbosses.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

When I played through this bit, I eventually managed to get Tidus into a position to use the Jecht Shot - immediately before he decided to switch out for Wakka. :negative: I'm sure there's a way they could've made this first impression worse, but I certainly can't think of one.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Isn't 13-1 the one where they made the FMVs before planning the plot, and ended up having to temporarily resurrect a character because they accidentally had him die before a cutscene where he's still alive?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Fedule posted:

The thing that gets me about all the outrageous FFX designs is that they exist in the same game as Yuna, whose design is a triumph of the marriage of ceremony and practicality, which tells you a little about the world just by looking at her, which doesn't in the slightest seem to jar or contradict or make you scratch your head.
I wonder if people in-universe think she's dressed weird.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Here’s a fun thing to think about : fiends - all fiends - are created from the spirits of dead people angry at the living. Fiends are also very common if encounter rates are to be trusted; you’ll often run into dozens of them on any path between places. How many people have died in Spira without being sent?
Could be the same ones coming back, to be fair. It's not like Yuna is Sending every fiend you kill.

...actually that might be worse.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Welp, looks like I misremembered that. Gonna go back and change that later-

:havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat::farf::havlat:

:psyboom:
Congrats!

That combination of you-might-also-likes is mystifying to me.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

However, using the right combination of items (most of which you need to Steal), you can replace, remove, or add tags as you like. For instance, you could add Silencetouch, which gives you a chance to Silence the target every time it hits, then switch out Scout for Watertouch (which adds a water element to its attack), making it perfect for the next area.
As far as I can remember, you can only add, not replace or remove? I remember there being one vendor who only sells equipment with four empty slots, just so you can build them up however you like.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

I will not be getting Lulu’s Ultimate Weapon. I know I’ve been leaning towards completionism as the LP goes on, but I’m not going to gently caress up my tendons for something I’ll probably never use.
Fair. A few of those weapons are reasonable to get (I think I remember Yuna's being particularly easy?), but the others are far more of a pain than they're worth.

And raising the Aeon damage limits only requires you to half-unlock the corresponding weapons, so at least you don't need the Sigils for that.

I think I'm gonna say Auron just on the basis that Tidus has known him the longest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

The only real complication is that they have to be used via the Use command from Rikku's slice of the sphere grid, instead of the normal Item command. (Which is a good reason to have sent Kimahri that way!)

They're a good reason to keep an Alchemy weapon handy, too.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 19, 2021