Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Excluding the remastered normal battle theme and its kazoo/vuvuzela horns taking front and center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I believe its suposed to be Teeduhs, not Tyedus.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Still pretty terrifying when you use them right.

And vital for the NSGNSNMNBBlasdlkfmasdfnk challenge of your choice too.

Also the game gives you a full Overdrive bar when you get the skill, so you can immediately breathe fire on a fire breathing red fire dragon and heal it waste the skill on a trash mob bank it for later on a boss when Kimarhi tags in for his participation credit.

Falconier111 posted:

As an aside, how much do you folks want to see of the Cloisters? I’m inclined to breeze past them and just cover the highlights so as not to prolong my torment, but that isn’t exactly in the spirit of LPing, you know?

You can skip them. There's always other sources.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I guess the qualifier of "Excluding post game" Black Magic remains competitive with physicals.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

SoundwaveAU posted:

I love Blitzball. Don't understand the hate it gets, it's a great minigame.

It also always bugged me how biased the announcers are. Sure the Goers are the home team but they really take their bias to the next level. People from all over Spira are here, be more impartial!

Its a fine game, but there's a couple bad things about it. That tutorial? Notice how there isn't actually any blitzball yet?

Second... well anyone whose played the game knows about it, and anyone whose seeing this for the first time will learn.

Also time for me to remind everyone of the cool FF pope names.

Remember FFT's Marge Funeral?

How about this guy, his full name is Yo Mika.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too would like that, at the very least for your additions since I remember the original text, or at least the context of it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah hamstringing you by not letting you use your shiny new Jecht Shot toy right out of the gate and then stopping play for absolutely no justifiable reason to bring Wakka in and not taking one of the other players off the field. Seriously, there are no time outs in the game. No medical time outs, no penalties to stop the clock, nothing. And Tidus can take a shot (even a regular one) and have fly past the goalie but not into the goal and the clock stops. Your intro to blitzball.

Also despite all these hard numbers of Pass-block or Attack- endurance factoring into your stuff? Nah, there's variance in that. I think its ±50% of the stat? So get a bad roll on your part and a good roll on the opponent means even more infuriating fun when they pull off some poo poo and are powerless to stop it. This intro match was the reason why I did not engage in the minigame at ALL on my first playthrough.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

A little bit more detail for 13-1
God made a bunch of demigod robots that are programmed with a vague free will completely hobbled by their programming to do everything in service of humans, so there's a food demigod, a sewer level demigod, and a matroiska demigod of super demigod, vatican city demigod and Pope demigod the pope demigod becomes the main villain after kill stealing The Baroness in front of the party.

So demigods hate their lives and want to die but can't. But they can tag people to do their bidding, which CAN indirectly kill them.

There's also a fake war between the surface people and their demigods and the floating orb and their demigods but surprise they're totes friends and we're just using the war as a premise to kill themselves. The surface demigods came close to succeeding but something hosed up and the surface jerks just decided "if we tag everyone to do our bidding, win or lose they go away and without humans to serve we can take a vacation.". So the surface jerks tell their people to do dumb 100% arbitrary or impossible bullshit and crystalize the ones that succeed or zombify the ones who don't, either way not human anymore so not our problem bye.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

The stupidest thing about the plot of FF13-1 is that the bumbling heroes are doing exactly what the bad guys want them to do for the entire game and then a pretty literal Deus ex Machina with no happens in the final cutscene.
That's undeniably a bad plot.

To further summarize this:

Party shows up to the death star to save some of them, I think Sazh and Vanille? They succeed, breach every defense. About to fight The Baroness and the robopope killsteals before you do. Turns into gigantic headed thing with a kickass soundsystem that pumps out an okay boss theme but too short for how long the fight goes. Says go kill god, they say no, he nopes out but leaves his personal owlairship around with the keys in and they get in anyway because what else will they do? Its on autopilot so they go exactly where he wants them to.

Repeat a couple times, until the end. So not even a "Aha, you have been a crucial part of my plan all along and each step along the way was a distraction for me getting the black materia!" Literally "Do this" "no" "okay" "...well, what else are we going to do if we don't want to turn into crystal zombies?"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

Isn't 13-1 the one where they made the FMVs before planning the plot, and ended up having to temporarily resurrect a character because they accidentally had him die before a cutscene where he's still alive?

Yes, well, techically not dead because he was crystalized and that just means "demigod put them on the shelf because they did a good job so therefore they can be brought back to do more good jobs."

But yes, he was revived and became fake pope and then immediately really definitely dead.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Huh, I could've sworn I'd heard the total opposite somewhere, that calms used to be pitifully short like for only one year at best, and Braska's was actually a new record.

I remember the ever shortening Calms. Sins been around for 1000 years and there's only been 6 or so Calms.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

On one hand it makes more sense that Sin is gone for a year, then comes back as smol Sin and just rifles through peoples trash or kicking their blitzballs off the road (holy poo poo I see the resemblance now, Sin IS Jecht!) Then grows up to be a doom whale. Sin is just growing up faster and faster each time. So the Sin Cycle is "HOLY gently caress WE'RE GONNA DIE!" "Calm." "poo poo Sin's back get the broom honey" and that broom time is getting shorter.

On the other hand there is one very big reason why this can't be true but yeah that has to wait.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Both of them are solvable.

Still tedious as hell and back but they can be gamed.

Also I loved getting to a sufficiently high enough level in blitzball so that those shutouts shown in the LP look low scoring. Usually the Ronso team was the one that would be the victim of a double digit rout. Strangely they usually kept their roster for me which is even stranger considering the constant torture.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Hey Catholics, is there a term for a formal order issued to a lower ranking cleric by a higher one in a religious context? Asking for a friend.

Only term I can think of right now is a Bull, but I think that's limited to those in the priesthood.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

Hey, this is about all I really do around here anyway.

You just dance at the deaths of idiots committing suicide by kaiju?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

From how Lulu describes it it doesn't sound like a particularly quick process of dying then turning into an evil bug. She made it sound like it requires some psychological changes and getting jealous or angry before that happens.

"Man, gently caress that guy over there, living his life in his tiny hut, waiting for Sin to come and suck it up." *turns into random chunks of burning rock* "I'm gonna gently caress him up"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe the Psyches needed to kidnap Yuna so that they Psyches could win because they had Nimrook on the kidnapping team to kidnap Yuna... so that they could... beat... the Aurochs... without... Nimrook?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Black Robe posted:

It's not a great writing choice, particularly when none of the other characters tell him to knock it off or even react.

If they aren't going to bitch out Tidus for being an oblivious idiot about [Redacted] you think they're going to tell Wakka to knock off his church endorsed racism?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

StolenTeeth posted:

Was there a typo or misquote in here? These statements seem contradictory.

I can't remember if it was in this section and glossed over with the narrative or if it comes later but There is a scene where Tidus's mom is fawning over Jecht and he tells her "go pay attention to the kid, or he's gonna cry and ruin the mood sooner or later." Not great advice or motives at all but he did do that

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Oh, I am looking forward to using Mug to turn Rikku into Kenshiro :unsmigghh:. That has to be my favorite glitch in FFX.

I'm unfamiliar with this glitch so I'll be looking forward to it too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Auron doesn't gain his overdrives by use, he obtains them by getting those Jecht Spheres. I think the Spheremorph one gives you one free? The others need multiples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure if this is ultimania or someone coming up with a better idea but I remember someone mentioning that the party is on Sin when they're in the lake (the camera work of just Sin out of loving no where off in the lake without any frame of reference doesn't help). So while the hymn is playing Sin's just chilling there, and his bodily functions that spew out toxins aren't pumping.

Then the hymn stops and he flips his poo poo. This doesn't explain why you're yeeted halfway across the planet, but that at least better explains what happened?