Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fedule posted:

So, yeah, the FFX English VA problem is less about having bad acting and more about having bad direction. Or, well, it's not even that, really, just that the localisation process was poorly constructed, probably, in a way that gave rise to problems. The actors were great, mostly. The thing was that Square had only just gotten the hang of their localisation style, and had pretty much just discovered voice acting in the first instance, and everyone was just kinda winging it. FFX had a pretty decent localisation in the abstract, but if I had to guess I'd say it didn't occur to the people localising it that someone else would decide the voice lines were going to have to match the animations that closely, the two departments involved never spoke to eachother, and nobody realized until the actors were in the booths, and someone had to tell James Arnold Taylor that he had half a second to say "with Yuna by my side", and, well, he's a professional, he just did it and collected the check, thought it was funny, and went home.

Contrast FFVII-R, which had equally insane a set of working conditions but felt like one of the most natural localisations ever made. The requirement was still to fit all deliveries within 0.2s of the original Japanese timings. They could cheat at certain things a little - Square have some bananas procedural animation tech for Unreal Engine, including auto-generating lip flaps, facial movements (eg eyebrow arching, nostril flaring) and even stance shifting, all from just an audio file, but they knew from the beginning what the constraints all were and were able to write everything around it in a way that ensured some sanity throughout, such that the writers had some awareness the whole time of what the actors were going to have to do.

I'm not sure if it was confirmed but i remember hearing that the game would straight up crash if the English voice lines didn't match the length of the Japanese voice lines exactly.

stab posted:

I just beat Penance for the first time this week.
It's insane how like "long ago" the main game feels when you get to that level of post-end game content* (since ffx doesn't have a new game + option on the ps2/3)

Also I didn't get the hype for Nemesis, piss easy first time kicked his rear end.

Penance is brutal af though

Sounds like you need a bodyguard for hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU