Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol ok, do it rear end in a top hat, because poo poo like that won't help you win.

He is a senator.
"The House of Representatives shall chuse [sic] their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment."
Only the house of reps can bring impeachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/14/sen-graham-says-kamala-harris-could-be-impeached-if-gop-takes-over-the-house/

He says that Kamala Harris gave some money to a bail fund, so she's now responsible for every crime committed by anyone that bail fund helped forever, and he's sorry for America that it's come to this.

I mean the Republicans basically have destroyed the impeachment power anyways, why not just finally kill it completely.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If GOP ever wins the House again then just lol

Just lol forever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Just lol forever.

They've controlled it for the majority of my life. It's unusual that they don't control it now.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DarkCrawler posted:

Just lol forever.

They have advantages to gaining control of branches of government that no other party has. As others have said, they can lose the popular vote by large margins and still come out winning.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghost of RBG posted:

They have advantages to gaining control of branches of government that no other party has. As others have said, they can lose the popular vote by large margins and still come out winning.

I know that, it is just completely baffling to me that the other side goes along with it all the time. Or campaigns on anything else except how insane that is.

Like I think I have said before, the most shocking thing about the Capitol assault to me is that with this insane undemocratic joke of a system it hasn't happened before. Just the sheer idea of someone, much less millions and millions of people, continually accepting that their vote is worth less just hurts my brain. Especially from a country where most history seems to be in one way or other about civil rights.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 15, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ghost of RBG posted:

In 1790 this 'living in cities' thing was seen as inherently contemptible by the landed gentry. Real people of worth held land in perpetuity and passed that wealth securely on to the next generation requiring long term planning on how to hold on to wealth for centuries.

Conservatism is inherently built in at every layer of the governing concept and land is far more important than people.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DarkCrawler posted:

I know that, it is just completely baffling to me that the other side goes along with it all the time. Or campaigns on anything else except how insane that is.

Like I think I have said before, the most shocking thing about the Capitol assault to me is that with this insane undemocratic joke of a system it hasn't happened before. Just the sheer idea of someone, much less millions and millions of people, continually accepting that their vote is worth less just hurts my brain. Especially from a country where most history seems to be in one way or other about civil rights.

I don’t think people inherently accept this, it’s part of an ideology forced by upon mostly unwitting people by the sheer cultural inertia and a healthy dose of brutalizing anyone who protests against the status quo.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

In 1790 this 'living in cities' thing was seen as inherently contemptible by the landed gentry. Real people of worth held land in perpetuity and passed that wealth securely on to the next generation requiring long term planning on how to hold on to wealth for centuries.

Conservatism is inherently built in at every layer of the governing concept and land is far more important than people.

Correct, which is why it’s so critical we recognize the fact that the “livable planet clock” is ticking down to zero and maybe the next time the GOP finds themselves with all 3 branches of government and enough social support to do what they want to do, we won’t have the luck of Donald Trump stumbling all over the place and throwing wrenches on all the gears.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ghost of RBG posted:

Correct, which is why it’s so critical we recognize the fact that the “livable planet clock” is ticking down to zero and maybe the next time the GOP finds themselves with all 3 branches of government and enough social support to do what they want to do, we won’t have the luck of Donald Trump stumbling all over the place and throwing wrenches on all the gears.

I guess my, not enunciated, point is that 'we' need to spend the next 20 years framing the conversation on how to fundamentally alter the balance of power at the state and federal constitutional level, not just papering over a systemically broken system.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

I guess my, not enunciated, point is that 'we' need to spend the next 20 years framing the conversation on how to fundamentally alter the balance of power at the state and federal constitutional level, not just papering over a systemically broken system.

I don’t think we have the luxury of two decades, but yes, agreed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DarkCrawler posted:

Just lol forever.

They will. I promise you.

People didn't think the bar could sink any lower than GWB and the Iraq war then a decade later we got Trump. The GOP base is dug in rather hard, a weird mix of the uneducated and cleverly smart that makes exploitation incredibly easy. Anything short of a Total "Christian" Theocratic Dictatorship is seen as failure so they'll have a lot to mad about for a good while.

(Most of) The GOP leaders don't want that specific scenario but are smart enough to know they need to pretend to be to placate their base and generate votes. They're in a weird and weak position for sure but roughly half the country is weird and weak as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

If GOP ever wins the House again, then just lol

Just lol forever.

The GOP has given more people more money in the last four years than the Dems ever have. The Dems saw this, promised $2,000 checks, then made that $1,400 the second they won, and are now trying to means-test the $1,400.

So yes, of course, the GOP is going to get the house again. Republicans did tangibly more for them than the DNC will.
If the DNC somehow gave people money and healthcare in a standard, non-tax-deductible form, they would win re-election for several decades, but that isn't their M.O.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The GOP has given more people more money in the last four years than the Dems ever have. The Dems saw this, promised $2,000 checks, then made that $1,400 the second they won, and are now trying to means-test the $1,400.

So yes, of course, the GOP is going to get the house again. Republicans did tangibly more for them than the DNC will.
If the DNC somehow gave people money and healthcare in a standard, non-tax-deductible form, they would win re-election for several decades, but that isn't their M.O.

this is crazy!!! do you have some good twitter follows you could refer me to learn more about this? maybe a failed comedian?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think the downside of essentially banning Republicans is they're still here, they just use the most frustrating framing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yo, how's the weather over there on Earth-2? Is it at least sunny there?

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Pedantic arguments about that topic belong in this thread.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

generic one posted:

It's not pedantic to rightfully point out that they said $2000 and then immediately squelched on that promise.
Gaslighting people with the $2000 vs $1400 argument isn't OK.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

DoomTrainPhD posted:

It's not pedantic to rightfully point out that they said $2000 and then immediately squelched on that promise.

you should definitely start a thread on this very serious topic

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 16, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They’re pretty close to constitutional convention.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Aruan posted:

you should definitely start a thread on this very serious topic

Somebody asked if the Dems were going to lose in 22 and I responded.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump eliminated the national debt, and cut taxes.

I rest my case.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

generic one posted:

That thread's closed so I'm sure the 2000/1400 argument is going to leak back into USPOL.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

No you're right it's not, so stop.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jarmak posted:

No you're right it's not, so stop.

Yeah. The Dems promised 2k, then squelched on the 2k. Seems pretty straightforward.

Edit*

Do you think the Dems actually meant $1,400 and not $2,000 because the Republicans already forked over $600? Because if you believe that, then you would also believe that the Dems should only send out $200 checks because the Republicans sent out $1800 in total already. :allears:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 17, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whether it's 2000 or 1400 is completely moot because nobody has seen a single penny of it yet, and probably won't for at least another month. You don't have to be a Republican to see that the Dems aren't doing enough, and that this will have very bad electoral consequences unless it is promptly fixed. Stop burying your heads in the sand. The Republicans can easily take back the House if the Dems let them.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 17, 2021

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yeah. The Dems promised 2k, then squelched on the 2k. Seems pretty straightforward.

Edit*

Do you think the Dems actually meant $1,400 and not $2,000 because the Republicans already forked over $600? Because if you believe that, then you would also believe that the Dems should only send out $200 checks because the Republicans sent out $1800 in total already. :allears:

Why the gently caress are you trying to start an argument about it in the now defunct impeachment thread? That’s what’s pedantic. God drat.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The GOP has given more people more money in the last four years than the Dems ever have.

By what math or definition of "giving money"?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DarkCrawler posted:

$4 trillion to Wall Street in March last year and some other trillion to millionaires/billionaires the same year.

Granted, it's not money to people that need it, but they did do that.

Also the $2,000 vs. $1,400 argument is dumb as poo poo given all the literal campaign ads on video promising them (while also skipping over the "on day one" part of that promise).

"The check will be sent eventually!" doesn't matter. The promise is broken.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

biracial bear for uncut posted:

$4 trillion to Wall Street in March last year and some other trillion to millionaires/billionaires the same year.

That's not too many people, is it?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

The GOP sent out $1200 and $600 checks to people.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The GOP sent out $1200 and $600 checks to people.

How delightful! Such an amusing little parlour trick, it tickles my fancy!

And? Is that all you've got? Surely you must have something else; step on up, don't be shy!

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It’s weird that people argue about $1400 vs. $2000 when no one has received any checks from our new illustrious government yet.

The more time that passes the less useful even a full stimulus check will be. Most Americans that get these pathetic checks will just have to give them to their landlords.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Parrotine posted:

How delightful! Such an amusing little parlour trick, it tickles my fancy!

And? Is that all you've got? Surely you must have something else; step on up, don't be shy!

Do you have anything of actual substance to say?

Ghost of RBG posted:

Its weird that people argue about $1400 vs. $2000 when no one has received any checks from our new illustrious government yet.

The more time that passes the less useful even a full stimulus check will be. Most Americans that get these pathetic checks will just have to give them to their landlords.

Exactly

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Do you have anything of actual substance to say?

You're going to need to do better than use a $1200 and $600 check argument that the GOP didn't even want to push out in the first place to get an actual debate here, especially considering they were originally going to give out less to poorer people on that twelve hundred if it weren't for democrat intervention.

But hey, keep stepping on those rakes there Sideshow Bob, I'm sure this time it'll be different!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Parrotine posted:

You're going to need to do better than use a $1200 and $600 check argument that the GOP didn't even want to push out in the first place to get an actual debate here, especially considering they were originally going to give out less to poorer people on that twelve hundred if it weren't for democrat intervention.

But hey, keep stepping on those rakes there Sideshow Bob, I'm sure this time it'll be different!

No poo poo, but to the average person, they saw Trump's name on the check, and he was president at the time. Therefore, they will think that the GOP gave them more money than the Dems. But hey, you can go to each individual house and explain that "no actually, the Dems gave you more money!" to them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It does kind of surprise me that seven Republican senators voted to convict the man who was their President up until like, a month ago, but are remaining in the party after it was shown to be an extreme minority position.

It's a bit like saying, "I think the party I'm part of is doing crimes, but yeah, I'm going to stay in" when you could have just gone, "No, no crimes here" and taken zero flak at all.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0UMAzveQR5SsQReU4hKt8g

Andres Torres and AG on a new podcast do a breakdown and came up with the same conclusion...there is no reason they shouldn't called witnesses.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoomTrainPhD posted:

No poo poo, but to the average person, they saw Trump's name on the check, and he was president at the time. Therefore, they will think that the GOP gave them more money than the Dems. But hey, you can go to each individual house and explain that "no actually, the Dems gave you more money!" to them.

Actually most of those checks were direct deposit and thus didn't have his name on them, in fact if you recall Trump tried to hold up the payments because he wanted to have his name on the checks (that largely didn't exist) and instead settled for a letter that arrived weeks later and was probably promptly thrown out or used as toilet paper in an emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Actually most of those checks were direct deposit and thus didn't have his name on them, in fact if you recall Trump tried to hold up the payments because he wanted to have his name on the checks (that largely didn't exist) and instead settled for a letter that arrived weeks later and was probably promptly thrown out or used as toilet paper in an emergency.

And who was president at the time? Trump. So the vast majority of people think Trump gave them money.