Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The usual adaptation jank aside, I thought this was one of the better episodes we've had in weeks. Glad we hit this story, getting into some revelations about Satsuki that IMO make Toriko's character in particular much more interesting, plus I'm glad we got to see Natsumi. She's not like a massively important character or anything but I've got a soft spot for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What's with her hair though. It looks like she spilled dirty motor oil on the top of her head and can't get it out

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I was actually expecting the other girls hand to come away dirty after she patted her on the head earlier.

Fun ep! Getting some interesting plot revelations now, I'm curious to see how it will end up wrapping up the season.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The novels obviously have more time to explore some of the nuances of what's happening here, but I've always really, really liked how quietly and casually they drop the revelation that Satsuki was almost certainly a deeply creepy and predatory groomer even before she got Taken by the Otherside, really casts a lot of what you think you know about Toriko in a new light.

Also, something you might've forgotten about - it's not just Toriko and not even just Akari that was close to Satsuki. Kozakura's also mentioned being very taken by her previously, to the point where she was willing to wander away from her only companion the one time she got taken into the Otherside with Sorawo - and remember, Kozakura is terrified of the place, far moreso than Sorawo and Toriko are - because she, too, thought she might find Satsuki.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 2, 2021

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I've only read up until the translated portion of the manga but I had my doubts about Satsuki for a while now. I've been suspecting she was an Otherside creature who happened to stumble into our world.
And yeah, agreed, this was one of the better episodes. What the gently caress, Sorawo.

(Don't confirm or deny this if you know I wanna have it revealed to me)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's really starting to look like someone reordered the anime episodes at the last minute.

Remember how they used the hat to escape from the beach in episode 7?

Sorawo doesnt...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wonder if some episodes had production issues and they decided to reorder them instead of delaying the broadcast

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm going to be real curious what they do since it sure looks like we're on course to use 2 episodes on rescuing the soldiers from Station February for our finale. I don't hate that story in the book, it's fine, but it has some of the least interesting spooks in the bag IMO and it has basically nothing to do with Satsuki, despite us spending the last several episodes drawing out the increasingly clear fact that Satsuki is exceptionally bad news.. I wonder if they're planning on reworking the events of that chapter to include Satsuki somehow.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Tamba posted:

It's really starting to look like someone reordered the anime episodes at the last minute.

Remember how they used the hat to escape from the beach in episode 7?

Sorawo doesnt...

Haha I was wondering about this, I was going all "??? didn't that hat fall apart?" at the TV screen.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

I wonder if some episodes had production issues and they decided to reorder them instead of delaying the broadcast
Yeah, the easiest explanation would be, if the episodes were mostly done, but, for example, Akari's voice actress couldn't make the recordings and reordering things gave them another week to make everything work (she was in every episode since then).
If they were were always planning to end the season on Kisaragi Station part 2, you'd hope that they would have at least fixed the most obvious continuity errors (the guns and the hat)

The third option is:
Some executive: "Ratings are dropping. DEPLOY THE BEACH EPISODE :byodood:"

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Oh god you're right the misordered episode IS the beach episode.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat you guys were right, they really are gonna make the rescue the finale. That's kind of a shame, it's a great story but it serves better as an intermediate arc, not as a climax.

God this season's a loving mess.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm still holding out a little hope that the rescue is only one ep and we can still hit Little Bird In A Box - the final story of volume 2 - for our finale episode. That's still maybe the most harrowing story I've read in any of the books so far, and a decent enough end-point. Moreso than Rescue, anyway - even with my concerns about how well the anime's production will be able to sell it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah that would easily be the best way to end the season, and it's not like they had to do the anime original episodes either. this week's episode was an anime original one and it still had a continuity error in it with the hat, really just bizarre.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Its amazing that the adaptation has been mostly okay except for the one big error with the hat and beach episode and it just keep standing out like a sore thumb. Gonna need an anime original episode to explain it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm also increasingly dubious about the amount of time we've spent on the Station February chapters. They're fine in the novels but not the two I'd pick to expand to fill a full third of the show's runtime - especially if it costs us any sort of confrontation with Satsuki after all the buildup to that they left in.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Maybe it'll get another season.

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
It's especially frustrating given the end of the third novel seemed like a really obvious and great way to end the anime, and they're just... not going there.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Given there's like 5 minutes of content tops left in this arc I'm pretty interested to see how the rest of the episode next week wraps up at least

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

SeanGaffney posted:

It's especially frustrating given the end of the third novel seemed like a really obvious and great way to end the anime, and they're just... not going there.

they wouldn't really have had time to get there properly. end of the second would have been fine

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TsuzuriYuri/status/1371961793430519812

The sixth novel has officially hit JP store shelves!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Good ep, looking forward to the conclusion!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Started reading the manga--hell yeah, just absolutely digging the vibes of this one. I'll get around to watching the anime, see how it turns out. But thanks thread, I'm psyched to have picked this up.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Well that was a nice way to end the season. I'd love to see more of the series so I hope they adapt the rest of the light novels, but seems like I'll probably have to pick up the light novels themselves for the time being.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, given the all the constraints imposed on this final episode by the production limitations and the still-odd decision to leave in a lot of the foreshadowing around Satsuki Maybe Being Not The Greatest without much of the actual payoff, I thought the finale turned out about as well as it possibly could have - and it turns out that's still pretty good!

Still very much recommend the novels to anyone whose interest was piqued by the show, they have much stronger pacing and a number of plotlines - from Toriko and Sorawo's ongoing relationship to the Satsuki thing to Sorawo's backstory - get much more concrete and interesting material there than the anime was able to get to.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aside from the issues with the hat/beach episode the adaptation was pretty good. Ending was a good mix of hooks for a sequel/people to read the LN while still be a good end point as well

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
If it gets a sequel they’ve definitely found their voice as an adaptation, I’d be happy to see them tackle a lot of the later content. Maybe it’ll even get a sliver of a budget next time too who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think the issues they had with this season and the show's general low-budget feel are going to create a mixed reaction for it. I feel like if I was a new viewer this show would be intriguing but not particularly memorable.