Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pedant Notes: The source novels aren't LN's, for the record, they're classified simply as novels. My understanding is that the distinction, at least in this case, is one of target audience - adults moreso than teens - and the prestige of the publishing label. Also, rather than simply having "yuri undertones", Otherside Picnic is billed and described straight forwardly by author Iori Miyazawa as a yuri story - though it obviously isn't quite a straightforward romance along the lines of Bloom Into You or Citrus ofrthe like. Without giving too much away, suffice to say that later novels (especially beyond what the anime is likely to cover, natch) see Toriko and Sorawo's relationship Go Places to a greater and more specific extent you might expect from a more subtext-y sort of thing.

My lame nitpicks aside, thanks for making this thread, I kept wanting to do it myself but getting hit by my lack of :effort:.

Also, for those who have been or are reading the novel - published in physical and digital formats in english by J-Novel - and are getting antsy about the current lack of an announcement regarding volume 5, there's a fan TL of volume 5's first chapter available here.

Anyway I think the novels are cool and wind up using Sorawo and Toriko's adventures in the Otherside as an interesting vehicle for exploring how they cope (or how they sometimes fail to or choose not to cope) with past trauma through immersing themselves in a fantasy world and through engaging with the push and pull of their own feelings for each other, and the spooks are fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

It's not exactly Wonder Egg Priority, but that's as unfair a comparison as I can imagine.

And see, lol, the main reason some folks like me are a little frustrated is that I think that if you gave this material+this director the kind of supporting resources the WEP team obviously has then this show could totally trade blows with WEP IMO. It doesn't go *as* hard *as* fast as something like WEP is but I think the novels' best moments are at least in the same ballpark as what we've seen in WEP. It's still a nice little show even with the production wrinkles IMO, I just think the source material has a higher ceiling than the show's been able to reach so far.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Yeah, that's it exactly. It feels like the people who studios who made this had no faith in its success so they gave it like half the resources that it needed.

Yeah Liden Films has like 4 shows airing right now so somebody's production was almost certainly kinda doomed from the start, and unfortunately I get the impression that Otherside Picnic lost that battle. Like, if you look at Cells At Work Black, for example - nobody's gonna mistake that show for a KyoAni production or anything and I'd certainly say that Picnic is generally a lot better shot and composed, but the baseline drawing quality is a lot more consistent IMO in a way that suggests to me that Picnic is just having to make do with fewer people working harder hours than Black is.

Anime. Tough business, unfortunately. :negative:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

(Also, the anime is a coproduction, unlike the other three shows Liden is doing this season. The other studio is Felix Films, which might explain the different approach.)

That might be part of it, but I don't think it's the deciding factor. My understanding is that Felix Films is primarily a CG studio, presumably responsible for Otherside Picnic's own CG efforts. That's not a bad idea in and of itself, CG has an obvious appeal for a production that is being asked to draw Undrawable Eldritch Horrors on a consistent basis. It's just a shame that the CG we've seen has mostly been, uh, poor.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FWIW, aside from the pacing issues that I just don't think the anime is ever going to be able to fully escape at this point, I thought the horror in the latest ep was some of the more effective we've seen since, like....episode 1, lol.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

read the books coward

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

I'll add it to the stack. Do I want the manga or the novels

Either or, both are quite good in their own format IMO - though be advised the manga's quite a ways behind the novels. There's 5 novels out in Japan (only 4 in english so far) with a sixth imminent, and the manga's only about halfway through the 2nd novel.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/marumizog/status/1365134571012988932

The cover of the novel's sixth volume was revealed tonight! Akari's appearance here is, if I'm not mistaken, the first time a character outside the core trio of Sorawo, Toriko, and Kozakura has made it on!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The usual adaptation jank aside, I thought this was one of the better episodes we've had in weeks. Glad we hit this story, getting into some revelations about Satsuki that IMO make Toriko's character in particular much more interesting, plus I'm glad we got to see Natsumi. She's not like a massively important character or anything but I've got a soft spot for her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The novels obviously have more time to explore some of the nuances of what's happening here, but I've always really, really liked how quietly and casually they drop the revelation that Satsuki was almost certainly a deeply creepy and predatory groomer even before she got Taken by the Otherside, really casts a lot of what you think you know about Toriko in a new light.

Also, something you might've forgotten about - it's not just Toriko and not even just Akari that was close to Satsuki. Kozakura's also mentioned being very taken by her previously, to the point where she was willing to wander away from her only companion the one time she got taken into the Otherside with Sorawo - and remember, Kozakura is terrified of the place, far moreso than Sorawo and Toriko are - because she, too, thought she might find Satsuki.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 2, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm going to be real curious what they do since it sure looks like we're on course to use 2 episodes on rescuing the soldiers from Station February for our finale. I don't hate that story in the book, it's fine, but it has some of the least interesting spooks in the bag IMO and it has basically nothing to do with Satsuki, despite us spending the last several episodes drawing out the increasingly clear fact that Satsuki is exceptionally bad news.. I wonder if they're planning on reworking the events of that chapter to include Satsuki somehow.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm still holding out a little hope that the rescue is only one ep and we can still hit Little Bird In A Box - the final story of volume 2 - for our finale episode. That's still maybe the most harrowing story I've read in any of the books so far, and a decent enough end-point. Moreso than Rescue, anyway - even with my concerns about how well the anime's production will be able to sell it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm also increasingly dubious about the amount of time we've spent on the Station February chapters. They're fine in the novels but not the two I'd pick to expand to fill a full third of the show's runtime - especially if it costs us any sort of confrontation with Satsuki after all the buildup to that they left in.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TsuzuriYuri/status/1371961793430519812

The sixth novel has officially hit JP store shelves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, given the all the constraints imposed on this final episode by the production limitations and the still-odd decision to leave in a lot of the foreshadowing around Satsuki Maybe Being Not The Greatest without much of the actual payoff, I thought the finale turned out about as well as it possibly could have - and it turns out that's still pretty good!

Still very much recommend the novels to anyone whose interest was piqued by the show, they have much stronger pacing and a number of plotlines - from Toriko and Sorawo's ongoing relationship to the Satsuki thing to Sorawo's backstory - get much more concrete and interesting material there than the anime was able to get to.