Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I binge-read all the novels, and I might read through the manga soon. It's really a fantastic series. On top of the characters being great and deeply human (and it being very refreshing to see non-teens involved), the horror is top-notch. I think where it especially shines is capturing the unknowable/incomprehensible, which may seem strange, but the bits of the novels where language and logic break down all are incredibly unsettling and perfectly set a mood without letting you fully understand what's happening. It's vaguely like tone poetry. The bit in the latest novel where Sorawo gazes through the mirror-portal and ends up being nearly captured by the Red Person or losing her identity or Something still haunts me.

Basically, best cosmic horror I've found turns out to be lesbian reinterpretation of Roadside Picnic. Never would have guessed, but I'm not complaining!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU