Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Spiritus Nox posted:

And see, lol, the main reason some folks like me are a little frustrated is that I think that if you gave this material+this director the kind of supporting resources the WEP team obviously has then this show could totally trade blows with WEP IMO. It doesn't go *as* hard *as* fast as something like WEP is but I think the novels' best moments are at least in the same ballpark as what we've seen in WEP. It's still a nice little show even with the production wrinkles IMO, I just think the source material has a higher ceiling than the show's been able to reach so far.

yeah I had high expectations coming in and the first two episodes were solid enough (despite the occasional wrinkle) but then it's been solidly downhill since as it's made increasingly questionable choices in adapting things and the seeming lack of resources has become increasingly noticeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

the cg has also often been used in weird ways, such as for distant shots of the leads just walking etc.

re: competence, sorawo and toriko are indeed very much amateurs who keep getting lucky at first and the source material really emphasises this later on (mostly past where the anime will cover though). the source handles this better though as it doesn't really take as light-hearted and comical of a tone as the anime can at times, and there's much more focus on sorawo's interiority. they do gradually increase in competence over time, but i still don't think it'd really be what you're after chiasaur though

lih
May 15, 2013

Fangz posted:

I mean it's my fault for going in with the wrong expectations but I was hoping with this new arc that it would have been about the girls demonstrating their competence and understanding to these ostensibly professional soldiers and contrasting their approach to the more gung-ho "let's shoot at it" approach of the soldiers, that would also progress the situation for the girls beyond individual adventures looking for Satsuki
the girls do indeed demonstrate their competence and understanding to the soldiers, just later on

the overall plot at the start is relatively slow and the anime has padded it out with filler (the third episode) and rearranged things a fair bit and that hasn't helped at all with feeling like things are progressing. if you're still somewhat interested in the premise i think just read the manga/books because there is some of what you're after there, the anime just isn't really doing it any favours.

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah that would easily be the best way to end the season, and it's not like they had to do the anime original episodes either. this week's episode was an anime original one and it still had a continuity error in it with the hat, really just bizarre.

lih
May 15, 2013

SeanGaffney posted:

It's especially frustrating given the end of the third novel seemed like a really obvious and great way to end the anime, and they're just... not going there.

they wouldn't really have had time to get there properly. end of the second would have been fine