Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nixon lost to a Kennedy and didn't serve a second term in the series timeline, right? Do we know if he did his China trip in '72? Obviously the timelines are wildly divergent by the late seventies, never mind the 90's, but it's not exactly clear what a more isolationist China would've done, both internally and vis a vis the space race, if Nixon's maneuvers to multipolarize the globe didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I mean China is still a bit on the back foot now with regards to space travel. They have stations finally but it’d be a little weird that they could get to MARS ahead of the Americans and Soviets in this timeline.

I think they might become bigger players, but my sense is that the us of fam isn’t massively deindustrializing because the Cold War is still massive in this time line most likely still in 1995, so China actually might be LESS developed without neoliberalization and nafta, the United States wont be massively offshoring, so Chinas access to advanced tech will be bottle necked.

It’s also possible the sinosoviet split ends and they combine the two largest countries in the world. Given the trajectory of fma its possible this gets the world closer to the global world government necessary for space colonization and interstellar travel.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Solkanar512 posted:

I totally forgot, did the Chernobyl accident happen in this alternative timeline?

no graphite. because it isn't there.

:smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maybe Japan's insane economic boom never ended in this timeline and they've got a legit Space Robot fleet? :shobon:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Teaser for S3, coming out June 10

https://twitter.com/AppleTVPlus/status/1513547427621621767

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress yes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

June, nice. Everything was so heavily frontloaded into April, it's nice that this isn't going to get lost in the mix.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hope there's an even more awkward and weird and stupid sex scene in the new season, as long as it's entirely consensual.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Who was that speaking? It sounded like a cross between Ellen and Margo...

Also please tell me loving Lee Atwater isn't running Ellen's campaign.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

Ellen: Enough is enough, what this Presidency needs is a moral core, a mindset based on purely ethical considerations of what is right and wrong.
Lightning flashes, illuminating Henry Kissinger standing ominously in the doorway of the Oval Office

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So this universe will have two problematic Ellens.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jet Jaguar posted:

At first I thought that it was maybe an alternate history where Hillary Clinton became president in the 90s, but the avclub said it was Ellen speaking.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Ellen: Enough is enough, what this Presidency needs is a moral core, a mindset based on purely ethical considerations of what is right and wrong.
Lightning flashes, illuminating Henry Kissinger standing ominously in the doorway of the Oval Office

Yeah, what did ol' Kissinger get up to in the FAM universe, since he didn't get to personally pick out targets in Cambodia and Laos in this timeline?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jet Jaguar posted:

Yeah, what did ol' Kissinger get up to in the FAM universe, since he didn't get to personally pick out targets in Cambodia and Laos in this timeline?

Nothing of importance, I guess? President Ted Kennedy presumably gave blanket pardons to the Nixon administration either way.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

At first I thought that it was maybe an alternate history where Hillary Clinton became president in the 90s, but the avclub said it was Ellen speaking.

I actually hadn't thought about this before, but I would prefer the alt-history moves away from real people as we get closer to "our" time, is that weird? Like, it was a hilarious thing to have Lee Atwater show up, but I'm not sure the show could handle an alternative Clinton white house (pick whichever one) without it becoming some stupid internet slap-fight.

I wonder who runs the USSR in 1995, assuming it's still there. I guess Gorby wouldn't be too old yet, but I honestly can't remember any of his 'proteges', and Yeltsin is the dark timeline.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they can have putin poo poo his pants to death in the show or something. Just have Tom Brokaw say "Shocking news out of Moscow, as presumptive next leader of the USSR, Vladimir Putin, poo poo his pants until he died today. Coming up next, which city will be chosen for the 1996 olympics?"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The thing about Vladimir Putin is that he was virtually unknown even by Russians prior to him taking power in 1999, so any mention of him would have to wait for season 4, if then.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
What are the odds that the writers will give Ellen have a Clinton-Esque: “I did not have sexual relations with that woman” plot line? I say we have about a 150% chance.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pretty low I think. Unless we get a real lovely season I think there will be more and more space stuff not more parallel universisms.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I demand gayer astronauts, which will be countered by a trans cosmonaut

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Series 1: young guys drink too much, drive too fast and have uncomfortably realistic panic attacks on the moon
Series 2: depressed space dads have uncomfortably realistic panic attacks on earth
Series 3: space grandparents watch as the damage they did to their progeny results in uncomfortably realistic panic attacks on mars?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

I demand gayer astronauts, which will be countered by a trans cosmonaut

"I'll only say this one more goddamn time, NASA will only do Cis-Lunar Injections!"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope they avoid the alt-history trap of making everything just like the real world but with the people swapped around once they get some distance past the branching point.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm curious what they'll do to make going to Mars seem like a good or interesting idea

with the Moon, they made it seem like there's some cool rocks you could find up there or at least a fun place to hop up and down and have fatal decompression battles with the soviets

Mars? It takes hella long to get to and it's just a big red rock. Communicating with earth takes forever. Would take a mighty long time to set up infrastructure and there's a lot of boring ways to die.

Maybe they could find some special space enzymes or an alien monolith or whatever but that would be a pretty different show

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
please please please have less of the weird family dynamic stuff

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Maybe they'll find life in a lava tube under Mars. Something to make going there in person worthwhile.

Perhaps something to finally explain all the imagery in the title sequence. Telepathy!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

I'm curious what they'll do to make going to Mars seem like a good or interesting idea

President Ellen leans forward until her lips are touching the mic: Commies will get there first otherwise.
Distressed Senator noises

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mars is interesting, but I think it would be cooler if the soviets went to Venus instead. Soviets historically don't give a poo poo about the safety of their cosmonauts, so they would be more likely than the US to risk a floating cloud base on Venus.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Mars is interesting, but I think it would be cooler if the soviets went to Venus instead. Soviets historically don't give a poo poo about the safety of their cosmonauts, so they would be more likely than the US to risk a floating cloud base on Venus.

Detente means the Soviets finally see 2010: The Year We Made Contact. Immediately begin planning a mission to Europa. :ussr:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Sivart13 posted:

with the Moon, they made it seem like there's some cool rocks you could find up there or at least a fun place to hop up and down and have fatal decompression battles with the soviets

Mars? It takes hella long to get to and it's just a big red rock. Communicating with earth takes forever. Would take a mighty long time to set up infrastructure and there's a lot of boring ways to die.

Maybe they could find some special space enzymes or an alien monolith or whatever but that would be a pretty different show

counterpoint: it's loving cool and it looks like they're gonna dodge climate change and the fall of the USSR

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

fischtick posted:

Series 1: young guys drink too much, drive too fast and have uncomfortably realistic panic attacks on the moon
Series 2: depressed space dads have uncomfortably realistic panic attacks on earth
Series 3: space grandparents watch as the damage they did to their progeny results in uncomfortably realistic panic attacks on mars?
You just reminded me of what I love about this series: people who are awesome, good and capable people, who are very good at their jobs, sometimes have panic attacks.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

That Wolfenstein plotline aside, Venerian exploration would probably come off as either boring (mostly floating around the upper atmosphere looking for bacteria and unobtanium), or silly because actually putting a human on the surface, in some kind of death coffin, wouldn't be very evocative. Mars is a known quantity for audiences even slightly interested in space since NASA has been dropping junk there to great fan-fare for ages now, and you can have scenes like the ones on Moon with astronauts and cosmonauts awkwardly hopping around. I'm sure the show producers could envision some kind of suit of armor for Venus exploration, but eh.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I mean the Soviet’s did send probes to Venus but I think the series is pushing towards colonization not “we must be the first to land a man on the sun”

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Sivart13 posted:

what the hell are you getting out of this show if you don't think exploration for exploration's sake is inherently interesting

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Riptor posted:

what the hell are you getting out of this show if you don't think exploration for exploration's sake is inherently interesting

Karen sleeping with the neighbor boy obviously.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean the Soviet’s did send probes to Venus but I think the series is pushing towards colonization not “we must be the first to land a man on the sun”

I'm sorry but :lmao: I needed that

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

What I'm hearing is Sunshine the movie, but without the dumb space zombie. Season 4 please? :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just think it would be cool as hell for them to have a cloud base and then they lower people down to the surface in hardened suits with a crane or something.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Nihonniboku posted:

Karen sleeping with the neighbor boy obviously.
Well, that certainly did qualify as "exploration for exploration's sake." :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

I just think it would be cool as hell for them to have a cloud base and then they lower people down to the surface in hardened suits with a crane or something.

I've occasionally wondered: if you were on a balloon in that pleasant part of Venus's upper atmosphere, needing only an oxygen mask, and you fell off -- how long would it take you to die, and would it be the pressure, the temperature, or the sulfuric acid that gets you first? :ohdear: