Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The scene with the Baldwins was tough to watch for me because my dad would absolutely never calm down and apologize and start talking through his feelings after blowing up like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I have to admit, I've never thought Joel Kinnaman was a very good actor (though I've never seen The Killing or his Swedish stuff) but I thought he was really good in that family scene. I also appreciate that in this alternate history Cold War series, they devoted a third of an episode to just that small-scale emotional family drama.

On the topic of the Baldwin family, while I like the character development of having Karen be in charge of the Outpost, I do miss Pam. I liked her character in season 1. Though I guess so far, Ellen being in the closet hasn't been as major a focus.

In regards to the alternate history shenanigans, I wonder how the alternate space program resulted in The Real Ghostbusters coming out three years early!

Also, didn't realize until after the fact that this (and next episode, it seems) is directed by Andrew Stanton. I feel like that's the biggest non-actor name I've seen for an Apple+ show (well, outside of Shyamalan, I guess).

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
The Gordo scene at the end was great. This show is really, really good.

Paddyo fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 6, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess I need to go back and rewatch the first season. It felt like that was supposed to be a reference to something but I don't remember what.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my pet peeves at the end of season 1 was the suggestion the cosmonaut might go back into Jamestown only for them to just jump ahead 10 years so I appreciated that they not only referenced that but explicitly revealed that Ed had admitted everything that he did including the hostage taking and beatdown etc.... but yeah it kind of caught me by surprise that apparently not only did the cosmonaut have a bug on him, but that he was able to set it in place where it ran continually and was never discovered for close to 10 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

but yeah it kind of caught me by surprise that apparently not only did the cosmonaut have a bug on him, but that he was able to set it in place where it ran continually and was never discovered for close to 10 years.

It looked like it was the type of device where you can shoot radio waves at it to power it, and then it sends back a signal that you can pick up. Similar to what happened in 1945. The Soviet Union gave a gift to the US ambassador to the Soviet Union which was a carving of the great seal of the United States. Unbeknownst to them, it actually had a microphone inside. Look up "the thing (listening device)" on wikipedia for more info. Fun fact, the guy who made it invented the theremin..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh wow, that is pretty crazy, I have never heard of that before. Still kind of leery over the fact the cosmonaut had one on him or that it didn't get found during the upgrade of the base over the decade but it seems at least a lot more feasible to me now.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I like the fact that they apparently didn’t have to send out the bug scanner on a rocket, so that means that it’s been sitting in a box in that moon base for probably years, and no one bothered to just give a cursory check with it when they knew for a fact a cosmonaut had been there (also, there was a whole subplot last season about the possibility of a soviet spy infiltrator so it’s hardly impossible that someone from NASA could plant a bug).

Also, why would a VCR have blinking lights like that?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's probably just a routine RF signal detector that was repurposed from some other application/scientific experiment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Comrade Fakename posted:

Also, why would a VCR have blinking lights like that?

It has a recording plan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

It has a recording plan.

Recording static? I wasn't alive then so I don't know if they still did this, but according to the show, they do an end of broadcast day and then it cuts out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

Recording static? I wasn't alive then so I don't know if they still did this, but according to the show, they do an end of broadcast day and then it cuts out.

It's a comedy joke about the light's resemblance to a Cylon centurion's eye on Battlestar Galactica, another show that Ron Moore, creator of For All Mankind, was in charge of.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I guess I need to go back and rewatch the first season. It felt like that was supposed to be a reference to something but I don't remember what.

When Gordo's poo poo first started to get misplaced he thought he saw a random red blinking light on the moon.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
But how did the cosmonaut get into Jamestown while Ed was rescuing Ellen? Is it really not locked?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
IRL, is the ISS "locked" from the outside for security purposes or is it openable by anyone in case of a maritime emergency

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

nexus6 posted:

But how did the cosmonaut get into Jamestown while Ed was rescuing Ellen? Is it really not locked?

The way I expect it to work is it's locked when it's pressurized, because you don't want some dude killing everyone inside by just opening the door, and open otherwise. The absolute last thing you want is some astronaut stuck outside running out of air and not able to get in for some reason.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Tighclops posted:

The scene with the Baldwins was tough to watch for me because my dad would absolutely never calm down and apologize and start talking through his feelings after blowing up like that

Same. That was a harrowing scene. Kinneman is a fantastic actor.

But, gently caress ya, Space Marines!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That scene with the Baldwins was fantastically done and as someone with a daughter it was really tough to watch.

I really do not give a drat about the Gordo/Tracy storyline but I am digging everything else about this season.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 7, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I also wonder how much Ed's meeting re: the lithium mine was making him think even on a subconscious level there is a good chance we're going to war with the Soviets and my daughter is gonna be in the Navy when that happens but not being able to talk about that for all kinds of reasons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tighclops posted:

IRL, is the ISS "locked" from the outside for security purposes or is it openable by anyone in case of a maritime emergency

All the ISS airlock hatches open inward, so that air pressure helps keep them sealed. There are no locks per se, but they're just not built to open from the outside; all airlocks during EVAs are kept open until then EVA is over.

I remember all of this because I remember it being a big debate when Gravity came out and people were wondering if Sandra Bullock really could have gotten into the ISS.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’m in the minority here but I thought the Baldwins arguing scene was terrible acting for the intense part where they were all within a few feet of each other yelling and the camera shots switching furiously.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hed posted:

I’m in the minority here but I thought the Baldwins arguing scene was terrible acting for the intense part where they were all within a few feet of each other yelling and the camera shots switching furiously.

Yeah you’re definitely on an island here. This is the only negative comment I’ve seen ITT or on Reddit. It was a fantastic scene

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hed posted:

It was good, but man I cringed hard at the song at the end. That was probably the point but god gently caress the navy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I was fine with it until they started singing that navy song.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The Reddit comments tell me that's exactly the kind of thing a Navy family would do.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

zakharov posted:

The Reddit comments tell me that's exactly the kind of thing a Navy family would do.

Fuckin' khakis, man...

I expected the leak to be the Walker Spy Ring, But For Space, but I'll press the I Believe button for a hidden bug just as easily.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

It was good, but man I cringed hard at the song at the end. That was probably the point but god gently caress the navy.

The whole episode had me thinking what I would do if my kid told me their greatest wish was to join the Navy and I honestly don't know what my reaction would be, but I'm also not a Navy veteran/wife so it made sense to me in that context even if I probably wouldn't do the same.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was a Navy enlisted and I would not let a child of mine join the military in any capacity whatsoever. However, the Navy song is the best service song. It even has a line about getting hammered at port

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Scene was good, also weird.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Also, I like Gordo. When he put Trace’s wadded up clothing on her passed out form, I was literally said “gently caress yeah, Gordo!”

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
After catching up to the latest episode, I am very much onboard with this show. A lot of discussion on other forums centered on how hand-wavy the "arming astronauts on the moon" -segments were. I'd like to think this is just a common thing with Moore. He setups a small thing and it will payoff in a later episode.

One thing that has wondered me is the perceived hostility of both parties on the moon. During season 1, I was half expecting there to be a small segment or subplot about cosmonauts and astronauts fraternizing. I was expecting in Season 1 for the cosmonaut to extend his hand to Ed instead of grabbing the hammer.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Small bit: when Kelly was talking about the Tomcat, she said "they're fighter-bombers!" Maybe the F-14 got the "Bombcat" mods a decade earlier--and maybe Bill Proxmire didn't manage to delay getting new engines, either.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I really like the way that after leaving it a mystery for a couple of episodes they show that Ed was upfront about what happened with the cosmonaut. Another show would have had him sit on it for the sake of drama rather than act like a professional and come clean. One of the reasons that I like this show so much is that the characters are generally smart and you can tell that the writers respect them.

Paddyo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 8, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Yeah, I thought a key point of this season would be the USSR revealing what Ed did and him manoeuvring to hide it. Boy was I wrong.

(Though I did come up with this idea before seeing the season 2 trailer).

Tracy is coming off as really self-centred and expecting a lot of poo poo to revolve around her. I hope she leaves the new husband when she works out he only married her because he wanted an astronaut wife but Gordo doesn't take her back because he gets his poo poo together

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 9, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So Gordo was in the astronaut corp for ten years without flying, even as they brought on new classes and were flying way more astronauts than the actual timeline?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

So Gordo was in the astronaut corp for ten years without flying, even as they brought on new classes and were flying way more astronauts than the actual timeline?

Astronauts do lots of stuff when they aren't flying in space

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Total speculation but I'm guessing we get Ed going up again in the "Handshake" mission and maybe his old comrade is on the other side.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One thing I'm curious about as of now in the show is just how the Soviet program is going. We know they have a moon base, but from comments it doesn't seem as big as Jamestown, and I don't think they've mentioned any other aspect of the Soviet program other than the "N-3" rocket. I wonder if their program is supposed to be scaling back now, kind of the mirror of how NASA kind of frittered away the 70s after winning the moon landing while the Soviets doubled-down on space stations.

Zero One posted:

Total speculation but I'm guessing we get Ed going up again in the "Handshake" mission and maybe his old comrade is on the other side.

That would make sense given Ed is basically the Deke Slayton role now.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

One thing I'm curious about as of now in the show is just how the Soviet program is going. We know they have a moon base, but from comments it doesn't seem as big as Jamestown, and I don't think they've mentioned any other aspect of the Soviet program other than the "N-3" rocket. I wonder if their program is supposed to be scaling back now, kind of the mirror of how NASA kind of frittered away the 70s after winning the moon landing while the Soviets doubled-down on space stations.

I wonder this as well as the real USSR was definitely atrophying behind the scenes, regardless of what our National Intelligence Estimates thought. Can still get a full TV show’s worth of seasons out of it, though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I really like the way that the Soviet stuff is all happening behind the scenes. It makes it so that the audience doesn't know any more than the characters do, and we can share in their feelings of apprehension and paranoia. It really keeps you engaged.