Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Paddyo posted:

I really like the way that the Soviet stuff is all happening behind the scenes. It makes it so that the audience doesn't know any more than the characters do, and we can share in their feelings of apprehension and paranoia. It really keeps you engaged.

I also like this. I feel like if this was a historical drama about real events, they would probably have scenes in the USSR about what they are doing. But it's a fake show about fake events and they want us to feel things from the American perspective. So we get all mystery and paranoia about the soviet side and we have no idea what they are doing or what their real motivations are. I've been watching this whole time thinking "These are cosmonauts and scientists, surely they aren't gigantic assholes" but then we see them stealing mining sites and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like this show but I really hope they go somewhere less obvious than "ooo spooky soviets are evil and doing bad things!" because that poo poo is so played out

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Based on the fact that they are talking about sending guns and marines to the moon, I'm guessing this is either going to end with an actual gunfight on the moon, or at least a really tense standoff where they realize that they are all just normal dudes on the moon and there's no need to fight.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Based on the fact that they are talking about sending guns and marines to the moon, I'm guessing this is either going to end with an actual gunfight on the moon, or at least a really tense standoff where they realize that they are all just normal dudes on the moon and there's no need to fight.

I don't know, obviously in this setting things might be different with the early push for a more diverse astronaut corps, but in reality most astronauts of the 60s/70s were big Cold Warriors and pretty far to the right. John Glenn was a Democrat but he was pretty much the only standout, which was also partially why he was pushed to run for office, to help NASA keep its bipartisan support. The actual Apollo moonwalkers included global warming deniers and Young Earth Creationists. Buzz Aldrin today loving supports Trump and Dan Crenshaw. And I think even in the show's setting they lean into this a bit, with Ed's Korea background playing a role and the hints at the opposition to the anti-war movement. I get the sense a lot of astronauts in this setting would be primed to see a war with the Soviets as inevitable and them willing to do their part.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I also like this. I feel like if this was a historical drama about real events, they would probably have scenes in the USSR about what they are doing. But it's a fake show about fake events and they want us to feel things from the American perspective. So we get all mystery and paranoia about the soviet side and we have no idea what they are doing or what their real motivations are. I've been watching this whole time thinking "These are cosmonauts and scientists, surely they aren't gigantic assholes" but then we see them stealing mining sites and whatnot.

Since we have noted KGB dude Yuri Andropov taking power early, an aggressive pushback stance by the Soviets seems about in line with what I'd expect.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I like this show but I really hope they go somewhere less obvious than "ooo spooky soviets are evil and doing bad things!" because that poo poo is so played out

Yeah, but that was the 80’s. I was just a kid, but the Russians really WERE the big bad guys from the public perspective. Looking at it 35 years after the fact we know that they were as freaked out by us as we were of them, but nobody knew that at the time. The show is keeping historical perspective, which is great.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Zero One posted:

Total speculation but I'm guessing we get Ed going up again in the "Handshake" mission and maybe his old comrade is on the other side.

Would it be realistic to think that they didn't smuggle the camera into Jamestown during Ed's mental health crisis, but that one of the astronauts on the program is actually a Russian agent who brought it? It just seems a little unbelievable that nobody noticed the recorder in all those years during the reconstruction of the base.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

kanonvandekempen posted:

Would it be realistic to think that they didn't smuggle the camera into Jamestown during Ed's mental health crisis, but that one of the astronauts on the program is actually a Russian agent who brought it? It just seems a little unbelievable that nobody noticed the recorder in all those years during the reconstruction of the base.

I would absolutely love a story-line like this, but I'm not sure the show is committed enough to go that far into Cold War craziness. In the real world there was a lot of bizarre spy activity from both sides of course, the Soviet "thing" was already referenced in the thread and there's stuff like project "Acoustic Kitty".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

blue squares posted:

I was a Navy enlisted and I would not let a child of mine join the military in any capacity whatsoever. However, the Navy song is the best service song. It even has a line about getting hammered at port

I vaguely remember a post on the SA forums years ago about how the platonic ideals of the US armed forces are something like:

Army - tank crews facing down the Soviet horde at the Fulda Gap (? this is the one I'm least certain of my memory of)
Air Force - creepy German-esque steely-eyed missile men coldly calculating the most efficient deaths-per-megaton bombing strategy
Marine Corps - slaying that loving dragon from the TV commercial
Navy - a salty old sailor staggering down the boardwalk with an arm around a hooker and the other hand holding a bottle of liquor

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Oh hey there's a thread for this excellent show!

The episode 3 Baldwin family fight was amazing, it's been awhile since a TV scene gripped me like that. Each time I thought I knew what was about to happen, show zigged a different way.

And I continue to be impressed with the storyline batting average. The only season 1 bit that dragged for me was the episode about Shane, everything else has been great.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

We started season one thanks to this thread. Neither one of us are Apple users so this one fell within our blindspot.

So glad I could share it with the husband; he has spent an ungodly amount of hours playing Kerbal Space Program, and we both loved The Americans (and to a lesser extent The Man in the High Castle) so this show ticks a number of boxes! Throughout the episodes he keeps giving me the real world version of space program milestones and comparisons that I would otherwise be oblivious to beyond the broad strokes.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Gelf posted:

We started season one thanks to this thread. Neither one of us are Apple users so this one fell within our blindspot.

So glad I could share it with the husband; he has spent an ungodly amount of hours playing Kerbal Space Program, and we both loved The Americans (and to a lesser extent The Man in the High Castle) so this show ticks a number of boxes! Throughout the episodes he keeps giving me the real world version of space program milestones and comparisons that I would otherwise be oblivious to beyond the broad strokes.

Welcome!

This show makes me want to read a good book about the history of NASA and/or space exploration. If your husband has a good recommendation please share!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also I know this is from a few pages back but I just saw it:

zakharov posted:

On the other hand, in the real world, the Soviets and then Russians have been launching the same basic Soyuz capsule since the 60s, because it still works just fine and why change what works? Silly Americans.

The Soyuz capsules have gone through multiple iterations; the ones flying today are substantially upgraded from what was flying in the 60s.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pathfinder sounds like a loving nightmare. Being that close to nuclear rockets and stuck in a shuttle cabin size space for months? No thanks.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Latest episode end Are test pilots now doing other things allowed to just take fighter jets out for funsies? Is Ed going to get court-martialed for wrecking his? I have zero idea how the US armed forces or NASA actually work :(

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just realized the news reporter is Hoshi Sato from Star Trek: Enterprise.

Also, haven't they shown an Apollo in space this season? I feel like there was one attached to the Skylab when they briefly showed it.

Rappaport posted:

Latest episode end Are test pilots now doing other things allowed to just take fighter jets out for funsies? Is Ed going to get court-martialed for wrecking his? I have zero idea how the US armed forces or NASA actually work :(

I know astronauts have used the T-38s to fly between NASA locations, but they're mainly used for training. However, the T-38s are also notoriously accident prone and a number of astronauts have actually died just from routinely flying them. Once they started playing Top Gun in them I figured there was going to be an accident.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Great comment I saw about ep3: "The Bahamas cruise might be cancelled but dammit if Ed isn’t getting his swimming in"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rappaport posted:

Especially in that era it was routine for astronauts to take a T-38 to fly between Houston and Canaveral. The loving around, I'm sure that was against the rules but they're not going to shitcan established star astronauts for having some fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love this show so much. I was worried about how this season was going to go, but this is getting good.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Grand Fromage posted:

Especially in that era it was routine for astronauts to take a T-38 to fly between Houston and Canaveral. The loving around, I'm sure that was against the rules but they're not going to shitcan established star astronauts for having some fun.
Astronaut pilots likely still do unauthorized dogfights over the gulf. The Mike Mullane biography talked about it as one of the things the agency sort of overlooked, unless someone screwed the pooch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bentai posted:

Astronaut pilots likely still do unauthorized dogfights over the gulf. The Mike Mullane biography talked about it as one of the things the agency sort of overlooked, unless someone screwed the pooch.

Oh yeah I'm sure they do it all the time, who's going to stop them. But I'm also sure it's against the rules.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
What a great loving episode. Loved that moment between Margo and Paine.

Man are they setting Gordo up for a fall, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK this season is really going places.

You know what I'm noticing all of a sudden: Ed's wife's mannerisms. She does this thing where she'll say something like "I understand what you mean. I do." She repeats that "I do" or a similar construction for emphasis all the time. It's a particular thing to her, nobody else. That is some amazingly perceptive writing and I don't know if I've ever seen a TV show do something like it before.

Also I really sat up and watched the opening scene over breakfast, the exchange between the two of them, how she pulled her hand away to punctuate the change in tone, how she snatched away the bacon to put a dot at the end.

Same with Molly in the tub, with all the props she kept using to drive the scene forward (the gun, the joint). And the pull-back of the camera through the door that left her grinning laugh visible until just the last second.

I don't remember S1 being this well textured. Someone's really earning their director chops here

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I don't remember S1 being this well textured. Someone's really earning their director chops here

Andrew Stanton did this and the previous episode.

I was going to say that this had to be his first live-action work since John Carter but looking him up now, he's done occasional live-action TV episodes the last few years, including Better Call Saul and Legion. His Legion episode had one of my favorite musical bits of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaWM-hMPUx8

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
This show is so loving good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm surprised that nothing more happened with Tracy. She seemed to be skipping training sessions and be more concerned about being rich and famous.
I was expecting her to be kicked off the flight or something like that. Perhaps it will be dealt with later

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oasx posted:

I'm surprised that nothing more happened with Tracy. She seemed to be skipping training sessions and be more concerned about being rich and famous.
I was expecting her to be kicked off the flight or something like that. Perhaps it will be dealt with later

She's like the only astronaut whose being grounded would be noticed by anybody outside of NASA, no chance she sits out.

Also plenty of time for bad things to happen to her if the show wants to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pokeyman posted:

She's like the only astronaut whose being grounded would be noticed by anybody outside of NASA, no chance she sits out.

Also plenty of time for bad things to happen to her if the show wants to.

Tracy stuff: I fully expected the shuttle to explode or something, since they had a camera trained on her for the flight.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Tracy stuff: I fully expected the shuttle to explode or something, since they had a camera trained on her for the flight.

Same. Bad enough to have a live external feed of the burning husk. Apparently they started live feeds from within at the end of the shuttle's life in our timeline? So that's just sped up a bit in the alt-timeline.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I was expecting this too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same, it seemed super telegraphed. Kept waiting for “go with throttle-up”

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I did too, which is why (what I spoilered earlier) Ed having an accident was a bit of a "whoa wait WHAT" - moment for me. The way they left that as the cliffhanger for the week made me very anxious, hence my earlier post, will this be a Thing that keeps him off Pathfinder? :ohdear:

Also Tracy since she didn't get blown up on live tee-vee, I'm wildly speculating that there will be some kind of lunar drama with her and Gordo, assuming he gets up there after the dog fight fiasco. I get that Ed's tough love - act is very much in character for him, but it seems so ham-fisted and awful to watch that, as posted above, they seem to be setting up for some kind of big Gordo melt-down. Or the moral of the story is USA USA and tough love was just what the NASA doctor ordered, but I'm hoping not :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah sure all the developments and twists and plot stuff was great, but also.... Pam got a cat :3:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ed's weird switches to being a hardass this season have been really jarring. It reminds me of when my family would be joking around and then suddenly my dad is pissed off because we triggered one of his libertarian secret phrases.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I have come to like Ed as a character. On the face of it, he's toxic masculinity personified, in season 1 they have that dumb James Bond sports cars race to get their booze on, which I'm sure actual test pilots also did in real life a lot, but then! He's confronted by the god drat Ruskies putting a dang broad on the Moon, and president Nixon, that old horn-dog that he was, wants US women up there too. And Ed actually becomes friends with a very... Unconventional lady. While still obviously finding her bizarre, based on his 50's man take on the world. And in the latest episode the scene where he confronts racism and sexism head-on with the Reagan admin representative, who finds himself alone in a boardroom with Ed, two women and a black dude, well that was just fantastic. He's a jarring character, but there's depth to it, and I hope the showrunners keep it up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hey man, he agreed with Ed!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hey man, I agree with you, it's Reagan who is the racist.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The weirdest thing this season has to be the death of Clayton. It feels like a character that was hastily written out. I might watch season 1 again but their relationship ended off camera during the Shackleton mission didn't it? And we're just being told about his life in the war... that would have been pretty interesting to hear about before.

I like Danielle but I don't like that her entire arc is being centralized around her late-ex-husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's so conspicuous I'm just assuming it's a contract / social media badpost thing.