Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

poo poo on the rug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

On the other side of the doorway you stumble down a step and into a vaulted corridor. At the other end is a doorway identical to the one you have just stepped through. A counter runs along one side of the corridor, and behind it is a room containing rows of empty hatstands. Asleep on the counter is an old Dwarf. He opens one eye as you approach.

"Good day, I suppose," he grumbles. "And I hope you had a fruitful visit to the Library in Limbo. Don't bother to tell me, I don't really care. If you left a cloak or a hat on your way in, don't try asking me for it. This is the way out, and I haven't got anything of anybody's. There's the door from Nowhere to Somewhere."

"But to where, exactly?" you ask.

"Exactly anywhere you like. Of course, if you want to go somewhere particular, it helps to think about it while you're walking through the door."

You stride through the doorway and step across the threshold. Do you fill your mind with thoughts of your home world, Khul (turn to 51); do you try to imagine the Ziggurat World (turn to 234); or do you think about your mysterious burden, the Aleph, and rely on its influence to choose your destination (turn to 21)?

(picture unrelated, it's just on the same page)

we reach an internal design error in the game. the only way the reader can know what the ziggurat world is at this point is if they chose to find and read the wizards book; which we didn't, so we have no idea. it's an easy mistake to make. so to remain faithful to the spectral stalkers experience, i will not tell you what the ziggurat world is.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

PathAsc posted:

poo poo on the rug
It seems to have little effect.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i try to focus on the aleph world (21) but i'm distracted by the scary skeleton

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

We are freemen on the land, creating no joinder, none can sway us. We are not traveling, but passing by. As such, the aleph has no say here, gently caress you I'm going home.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
lets go home. get some cider

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Aleph (21) we chug a lugged now orb

Rugikiki fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 14, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

focus on the skeleton

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i feel like the skeleton is the key to all of this

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Thinking about that along

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
Hahaha he got a little skellie pecker

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

poopnanners posted:

gary oldmans diary posted:

the key to all of this

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's why he;s so angry

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Mozi posted:

i try to focus on the aleph world (21) but i'm distracted by the scary skeleton

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

focus on the skeleton

gary oldmans diary posted:

i feel like the skeleton is the key to all of this

poopnanners posted:

we try to focus on the aleph, but can't stop thinking about that sexy skeleton. sexy skeleton. sexy skeleton...

You are in an unlit tunnel. You can see nothing, and can feel only the cool, smooth stones on both sides. You grope towards the indistinct sound of chanting voices. The chanting becomes louder, urgent and frenzied. You take one more step, the floor gives way beneath your feet, and you are sliding helplessly down a chute and into flickering light.

You land on a dais of rune-carved flagstones and, as you pick yourself up, you see that you have emerged from the mouth of a gigantic stone skull that forms one wall of the torchlit hall. The voices are suddenly silent. You turn to find yourself looking up into the fiery eye-sockets of another skull - but this one is the living face of a giant warrior-priest, who howls with joy as he thanks his grim deity.

"As I foretold, mighty Glund, you have given us an omen. This creature will be our victory sacrifice. I, Syzuk the Devastator, will shed its lifeblood at the battle's end on an altar of a thousand vanquished foes. Warriors! Can you now doubt our victory? To arms!"

Two soldiers begin to climb on to the platform. Will you fight them (turn to 139), wait for them to re-capture you (turn to 85), or try to escape by re-entering the mouth of the stone skull (turn to 348)?

youuu idiots

perepelki fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 15, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i turn around and try to get back up the stone skull real smooth-like (348)

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Exit, skull left! (348)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
let syzuk the devastator recapture you and attempt to have you be a blood sacrifice as part of a larger plan to win his trust (85)

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
is "recapture" another of the book bugs?

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
lol

surrender

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

so far we have 2 votes for coolly exiting vs. 2 votes for throwing ourselves on the mercy of syzuk the devastator

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
We teleported in, there's no guarantee that going back through the skull is gonna take us anywhere. I say rumble and prove our worth as a warrior!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1VInw-SKc

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

perepelki posted:

so far we have 2 votes for coolly exiting vs. 2 votes for throwing ourselves on the mercy of syzuk the devastator

Well, when you put it that way....
Can I go with fight instead?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah we are hosed, let em capture us. 85

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
more like syzuk the devastatingly reasonable and sexy

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

lol, now we have 2 votes for flee, 2 votes for fight and 2 votes for surrender

syzuk won't wait all day!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

we'll never find out what's under that loincloth if we don't act soon

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Let’s climb back up into that comforting skull mouth

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

after prolonged deliberation, we're getting back in the skull

You flee beneath the pointed slabs of stone that are the upper teeth of the enormous skull, and find yourself in the dark cavern of its mouth. Looking back you see the dull glow of the bony warriors' eyes; they seem to be reluctant to follow you into the mouth of their god Glund.

You breathe a sigh of relief, but you are not safe yet. As you become accustomed to the gloom, you see that the chute down which you slid is above you and out of reach, and both of the two tunnels at the back of the cavern look dark and dangerous. Your pursuers, urged on by their leader Syzuk, are advancing hesitantly behind you. You choose one of the tunnels and trust to your good fortune.

Test Your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 292. If you are Unlucky, turn to 121.

(i have done as instructed and am pleased to announce that we were Lucky)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
luck be a skelly tonight!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

to my great annoyance, the book now takes the liberty of making not just one but several bad decisions for us.

You follow the twisting tunnel, aware of side-passages and junctions, and soon you are blundering about in a black labyrinth of subterranean paths. At last you see light: the shape of a door outlined by a yellow gleam. You step through into a small room furnished as a study. Avoiding an area of the floor on which arcane symbols have been chalked, you move towards the log fire that is blazing in the fireplace, only to awaken the red-robed old woman who is dozing in the armchair. She stares at you in horror before stammering that you should not be here in your workroom.

You explains that you are trying to escape from Syzuk the Devastator, and she smiles at you.

"Drink this," she says, pouring a thick brown liquid from a bottle into a pewter flagon. "It will restore your strength and calm your nerves." You sniff the liquid: it smells wholesome, like a good vegetable soup, and you drink it. The old woman - Glund's Chief Priestess - told no lies: the drink restores up to 4 points of Stamina. It also relaxes you, and within a minute you are completely paralysed! She summons a squad of Skeletal Warriors, who knock you unconscious and carry you away. Turn to 215.

the good news is that we have now restored all our stamina.

our stats

Skill: 9
Stamina: 19
Luck: 7
Trail: 0
Gold: 4
Provisions: 2
Items: one bottle of siccator and a sword

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm always lucky baby

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Your head feels like an overripe melon and your body is being shaken like a sapling in a gale. You come to your senses and realise that you are lying on the floor of a moving vehicle. You open your eyes: towering above you is Syzuk the Devastator, his eye-sockets blazing like beacons as he cracks a whip in one bony hand and brandishes a flaming longsword in the other. You are in his war-chariot, in the thick of a bloody battle.

The day is Syzuk's: his Skeletal Warriors, marching forward in endless ranks, cover the land like a flood. Like storm-battered islands, small bands of Syzuk's enemies - humans, mainly, and some Elves - die fighting to hold back the tide.

A solitary, desperate Elven arrow arcs across the sky and lands in Syzuk's shoulder. He falls alongside you. The Elven arrowhead is poison to him and he pleads with you to help him. If you decide to do so, and you have a bottle of Corrective Fluid, turn to 384. If you want to help but have no Fluid, turn to 191. If you finish off Syzuk and bundle him out of the chariot, turn to 155.

(note: we have no Fluid)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Def help him, why not

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it's our chariot now, sorry syzuk!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
syzuk has been our friend and father for many pages now. we must help him (191)

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I say we help him

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

we choose to do the right thing and immediately suffer for it

Grasping the arrow-shaft with both hands, you brace your feet against Syzuk's ribcage and pull with all your might. The arrow springs from the warlord's shoulder-joint and you fall onto your back. Syzuk picks up his sword and gives you a ghastly grin.

"Thank you, fool!" he snarls. "Your act of kindness will not save you. Now nothing can save my enemies on this battlefield. On, my warriors! Destroy them all! Let none live! We will perform Glund's sacrificial ritual at the summit of a mountain of corpses!"

Your only chance is to attack Syzuk while he is still weak from his wound. You launch yourself at his back.

SYZUK
Skill: 8
Stamina: 10

(i have never once done this in all my years of reading these books, but just for you i played out the battle with dice and so we can claim this victory righteously under fighting fantasy law)

If you defeat him, you hear a chorus of despairing cries from the ranks of Skeletal Warriors. The battle becomes fiercer as their opponents counter-attack and the chariot is caught in a ferocious skirmish. You kick Syzuk's body out of it and try to control the war-horses. Turn to 155.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

The chariot is pulled by two black horses with red eyes and bronze armour. They are whinnying in confusion, pulling the chariot in circles and trampling the wounded under their hooves. Several Elves fight their way toward you, but they cannot reach the chariot; the wheels, glowing with a pale luminescence, seem to terrify them. You can do nothing but cower in the chariot as the horses careen across the moorland.

Suddenly a wheel hits a boulder. The axle snaps, you and the broken wheel are thrown clear and the horses drag the wreckage into the distance.
You recover your breath, and inspect the wheel: its luminosity comes from the circular, rune-engraved bronze cover of the hub. The metal roundel is apparently dangerous to Elves, but it causes you no harm. (If you keep it, make a note on your Adventure Sheet.)

You scan the landscape: you are alone. You take the Aleph from your pack and lose yourself in studying its myriad moving pictures. It seems to expand and surround you. Roll one dice. If you roll an even number, turn to 51; if you roll an odd number, turn to 36.

gained: syzuk's hubcap

the game wants me to roll a dice, but tbh i prefer goon diplomacy. 51 or 36?

edit: i rolled odd too, so that's 3; 36 it is

perepelki fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

perepelki posted:

The chariot is pulled by two black horses with red eyes and bronze armour. They are whinnying in confusion, pulling the chariot in circles and trampling the wounded under their hooves. Several Elves fight their way toward you, but they cannot reach the chariot; the wheels, glowing with a pale luminescence, seem to terrify them. You can do nothing but cower in the chariot as the horses careen across the moorland.

Suddenly a wheel hits a boulder. The axle snaps, you and the broken wheel are thrown clear and the horses drag the wreckage into the distance.
You recover your breath, and inspect the wheel: its luminosity comes from the circular, rune-engraved bronze cover of the hub. The metal roundel is apparently dangerous to Elves, but it causes you no harm. (If you keep it, make a note on your Adventure Sheet.)

You scan the landscape: you are alone. You take the Aleph from your pack and lose yourself in studying its myriad moving pictures. It seems to expand and surround you. Roll one dice. If you roll an even number, turn to 51; if you roll an odd number, turn to 36.

gained: syzuk's hubcap

the game wants me to roll a dice, but tbh i prefer goon diplomacy. 51 or 36?

I rolled a die, got odd