Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I hear the F1 thread is the better place for those who prefer not to be roasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

chamois posted:

i'll tell you what isn't approved: roasting me

i got bad news, nerd

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bigbillystyle posted:

A friend of mine that looked into this told me that it was something like NASCAR told them the LGB or FJB stuff wasn't going to fly so don't try. So the team told NASCAR it was a crypto deal but conveniently left out what kind of crypto and NASCAR was like ok that's cool. Then it came it out it was LGB coin and NASCAR was like hey WTF we told you, you can't do that. But yeah now the guy is suing because he's saying NASCAR said they could run the sponsor and did a take backsies. Do I have that about right I don't care enough to actually read into it myself? Sucks for the guy to lose a sponsor, even if it was a lovely one. Money is money and when you're talking money and racecars you need a lot of it.

lmao this car is never going to pass inspection

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Elitist Bitch posted:

I hear the F1 thread is the better place for those who prefer not to be roasted.

No one tell them we're roasting people, they'll jump in and scold us for not air frying.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Then others will come in and argue with them about not using cast iron and someone will say their air fryer is linked to their apple watch and then we all have Max Verstappen avs before you know it

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

just tell the F1 thread that chamois puts his cast iron pan in the dishwasher.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Was thinking of rewatching some races I missed this year.

Any stand outs?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

too busy being air f-

Slickdrac posted:

No one tell them we're roasting people, they'll jump in and scold us for not air frying.

god dammit <:mad:>

big nipples big life posted:

just tell the F1 thread that chamois puts his cast iron pan in the dishwasher.

maybe I'm just optimistic but I'm pretty sure by this point even the cast iron enthusiasts would be able to see such obvious bait.

---------

is there anything on the official NASCAR schedule before the Clash? Just thinking that would be the right time for the 2022 thread to get started.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Good article about Brandon Brown’s other sponsors.

https://twitter.com/mjburroughs/status/1481701897799143428?s=21

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/1482065379795083270

gently caress :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i mean if i thought i could make an NFT to scam nascar fans, i would too

what if we just steal video frames from famous NASCAR crashes and sell them as an NFT?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Just when I thought I was out...

Got tickets for the 24 and for the Martinsville night race.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Chili Bowl A Main is on shortly.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm planning to go to Talladega this year, and I've never been to Alabama let alone the race.

Flights and other logistics are easy but I have no idea what to do for a place to stay near the track. Are there hotels nearby? Should I look to stay further out? Is there enough parking on site or maybe some sort of shuttle service? Any other tips and tricks to make the most out of the trip?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
***Just a note, this all comes with the big caveat of the half dozen trips we did being in the before times. Although it being Alabama, probably not different from then***

Don't stay "near" the track. About an hour away the balance between not being "FU pricing" and "long rear end drive" was about right, IMO. There's a couple La Quintas in Birmingham that always had pretty decent prices.

Getting into the track is not really much issue at all, pretty smooth sailing for a drive in. We'd head in around 9-10, it might pick up a bit if you head out later, but the inbound flows are well setup that it shouldn't be too much issue. They usually had pretty active trackside stuff and plenty to occupy the pre race time fully, and WAY more parking space than even needed. I think there's shuttle stuff, but we never used it, and I don't think it goes out beyond the brutal hotel pricing area.

Getting OUT of the track is a nightmare. 99% of the people leaving will be using the one E/W highway to leave, and it will be 2-4 hours to get out of that depending on how quickly/slowly you leave and how close/far away from the track itself you are parked.

If you're going a day or two before the race, hit up the museum for sure. The trackside shuttle tour if it's running was kinda meh, but it's not not worth the price. There's not really too much else in the area that jumps out at me, besides a pretty decent chinese buffet place that I'd have to try and dig through my gps tracking to find if you want to hit that up for dinner.

Also, if you need any special ADA stuff, get in touch with their ticket folks so you can get proper seating and parking for that, they're super helpful and also will never ever leave you alone with emails and phone calls even if you haven't gone for 3 years

Hope whoever you're pulling for wins, it's pretty awesome

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of insight I was hoping to get.

I'm not a fan of anyone in particular yet but I'll have to find a team soon.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

There's a group of cool dudes called Trackhouse Racing who besides doing racecars are really in to promoting STEM education for kids. Also they really hate the communist Cuban government for some reason.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/ARCA_Racing/status/1482403615188860938?s=20

Malcolm in the middle groove

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

did he complete the road to recovery successfully?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

He still looks like he's 12 years old

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I made an important accidental discovery today: old street stock dudes are absolutely spellbound by speedrunner history youtube. Hats were thrown in disgust when AndrewG missed the 4:57.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So looks like there may not be a full field for the 500?

Also this coliseum race is gunna be a poo poo show right? Like a colossal poo poo show?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

tater_salad posted:

Also this coliseum race is gunna be a poo poo show right? Like a colossal poo poo show?

Probably? But it's also an exhibition where teams will be on the most equal footing possible with the new car? But it's also the first race with a new car and teams may not want to tear them up too bad?

NO BODY KNOWS

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

tater_salad posted:

I can't imagine there is going to be great racing. There might be great spectacle in that it's a flat track (I'm presuming 1 groove) and the fact it's a non points race so guys are going to be more inclined to use the carbon fiber horn but I don't think it's going to be great racing. I think a lot of teams will be talking about having to use their wrecked clash chassis as their backup Daytona car because there aren't enough new chassis going around and that will be an overall garage annoyance and a real kick in the balls for anybody that totals a car in the Duels. I think the clash will ultimately be one of those things that in 5 or so years people will say remember that dumb poo poo they did at the Coliseum 5 year ago?

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

tater_salad posted:

Probably, but it's been a poo poo show at Daytona for years anyway, so I say bring it on.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I don't remember the Clash/Shootout/what the gently caress ever being good in a while now, much like the All-Star race. They keep loving around with rules and formats and it just kind of sucks to run essentially heat races on a plate track.

Put 'em on dirt and do something absolutely stupid, maybe it'll stick. I thoroughly enjoyed the 24 and hope that good racing karma continues to shine on us in the weekends to come. I guess I need to pick another driver but drat... not a lot of compelling options.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

make them race their haulers

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
It would at least be one funny corner.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
just tuned in to practice, honestly I'm really impressed and optimistic. Not a lot of real estate heading into the turns, though.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Man those live mics really show how fuckin' loud these things are. Looks louder than Bristol.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

It’s a great track in iRacing, for traditional short track cars at least. Hopefully it’s not a disaster with these new cup cars.

Go Bubba!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's going to be a disaster, would have been cool if they stuck the cup drivers in modified or late models or something.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

New car looks and sounds good, hope it races good.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'm feeling better about the NextGen car racing good now than I felt at the end of the season. 670 still isn't enough horsepower but it's better than the 510 they wanted to run originally.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

big nipples big life posted:

New car looks and sounds good, hope it races good.

I watched a little bit of qualifying yesterday and it's the most I've watched of these cars so far and I was actually impressed at how good they looked. I still don't really love the number placement but I can deal with it I guess. Also for anybody that didn't watch qualifying the first like 5 cars out basically got screwed because the track was absolute garbage. No grip at all, Kurt Busch was sliding the nose, couldn't hook up the rears, nothing was working. I don't think he'll make the clash, I don't really see a lot of passing being able to happen on that track.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower
I'm actually liking this. Heats had some good racing for the transfer spot and it seems like they can actually pass without wrecking the car in front, which is what I was worried about.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Been real good short track racing I think. Lots of bump and runs.

NASCAR needs more short track races on the schedule, with heats and LCQ’s too.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Douchebag posted:

Been real good short track racing I think. Lots of bump and runs.

NASCAR needs more short track races on the schedule, with heats and LCQ’s too.

I've been watching for like 15 minutes and this has been a total farce

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Sorry for lack of Verstappen but this is actual racing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Make this the format for Martinsville and Bristol. Instead of 500 laps go with heats and LCQ’s. Much more fun to watch