Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

jeff gordon has completed about 38% of his transformation into rick hendrick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Douchebag posted:

Make this the format for Martinsville and Bristol. Instead of 500 laps go with heats and LCQ’s. Much more fun to watch

I don't know how well it would do at Bristol but it could be incedible at Martinsville.
Not sure who we'd get as a halftime here though.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

maffew buildings posted:

Sorry for lack of Verstappen but this is actual racing

The heats were good, I was impressed with the ability to pass with minimal contact. That last LCQ was what I thought the racing was going to be. The 23 and 42 just went at it grand theft auto style, if they're in front of you, wreck 'em. There wasn't much racing there.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this rules

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Lol mechanical failures for everyone

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
this is one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Whose idea exactly was it to have Ice Cube perform at a nascar race lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It was a good idea, he killed it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

It was a good idea, he killed it.

He did, but I’m not sure a lot of the crowd thought the same lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I thought it looked like most people were having fun.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

This.

Doesn't suck? I have a hunch the last 10 laps are going to be nutty.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Lol, smoke:

"I just want to see the replay of the throw; see if he had good leg extension and kick".

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Smoke is good in the booth, glad he will be there for the 500

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
That was fun and weird and the first NASCAR race I've watched in over a decade. I don't know who most of these guys are but I know gently caress Kyle Busch.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower
That was really fun. I was skeptical when they first made the announcement but it was a legitimately good race.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

that rocked i wish kyle got to him but it would've turned into a spinfest like lcq 2

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

They could have used a place like Bowman or some place similar but I don’t think it would have gotten the buzz of “built a nascar track over a football field”. Event was fun.

I really think they should use the heat/LCQ format once in a while, but it’s probably bad for sponsorships and stuff not having all the cars in the main.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Douchebag posted:

They could have used a place like Bowman or some place similar but I don’t think it would have gotten the buzz of “built a nascar track over a football field”. Event was fun.

I really think they should use the heat/LCQ format once in a while, but it’s probably bad for sponsorships and stuff not having all the cars in the main.

and I think that's under-selling what the LA Coliseum is, a historic location with a ton of history (and even history with motorsport - stadium trucks!)

I watched a bit of the practice highlights on YouTube, so I'm somewhat...excited? for NASCAR? In a football stadium? What is this world.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Douchebag posted:

Especially since NASCAR has been pushing the Go to Your Local Short Track narrative for the last decade or so and when they finally decide to go to a short track and invest millions they do it by making a 1 off short track instead of like saving Myrtle Beach or Beechridge, or North Wilkesboro or something similar (yes I realize they are all totally different tracks but you see my point). Luckily Tony Stewart actually knows the value of the local short track and brings his series to places like that. Overall the racing was better than I thought it would be and for the short track program at least those Kaulig cars were drat good. Pretty impressive both of them running top 5/10 for most of the main. The cars held up well too. None of that nonsense of seeing contact and then 5 laps of watching tire rubs to see if the tire was going to go down or hold up. A+ on the toughness of the new car. Can't wait to see it on an intermediate with 40 other cars out there to see how it goes in a race setting.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The state paid a bunch of money for NWS to reopen along with The Rock, so hopefully it comes back.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
the ending was a bit of a wet fart but overall i thought this was a pretty fun and cool thing, which is not at all what i was expecting

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
All I'm saying is I'm watching a stream off MavTV Plus of the Lucas Oil Late Model race, pretty much to have some noise in the living room while I finish some laptop work, and the coverage totally loving dunks on what they gave us Sunday night.

Need more production people who actually watch racing to shoot a short track, otherwise it's just like putting some ADHD local you found outside the track in charge and JUMP CUT JUMP CUT JUMP CUT.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Posting to add this to my bookmarks and also say WOOOO LET'S GO TYLER REDDICK

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

mischief posted:

All I'm saying is I'm watching a stream off MavTV Plus of the Lucas Oil Late Model race, pretty much to have some noise in the living room while I finish some laptop work, and the coverage totally loving dunks on what they gave us Sunday night.

Need more production people who actually watch racing to shoot a short track, otherwise it's just like putting some ADHD local you found outside the track in charge and JUMP CUT JUMP CUT JUMP CUT.

FloRacing does a much better job with their coverage than Fox ever will. Excited for the World Series at New Smyrna starting Friday night.

Fox gave us mostly a loving bumper cam for the last 10 laps, it was a joke.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For want of anything else I listened to some Dale Jr Download. I think it was mentioned that the DW episode was a great listen and it is. Especially Jr's enthusiasm with history.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

His podcast is great. The Ask Jr segment on YouTube weekly is always fun.

If I had to recommend some absolute must listens:

Ken Schrader
DW (you already got that one)
Kerry Earnhardt
Jimmy Spencer
John Force
Gary Balough

I mean you can throw a dart and hit a good podcast of his.

I usually don’t listen to the full 2 hours but just check out the YouTube segments he puts up, if one really strikes me I’ll listen to the full one.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Door, Bumper, Clear is also very good.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The ep where he and Kyle took about the Richmond wreck and fallout is great

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah DBC is fun too, especially when they are drinking.

Last seasons finale episode with Harvick was really good. They cleared the air finally over comments Jr made when he retired that pissed Harvick off.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Harvick one where he tells the story at getting mad at his son not caring about qualifying so he told the steward to cancel his time to teach him a lesson cracked me up.

That and Dale not testing and Harvick going quicker with the new car but Dale not using it because he hated testing and new things.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mischief posted:

Keep an eye out for the Dillon Motor Speedway New Year's Bash when it hits MavTV in a few weeks I was there and it was an insane wreckfest.

The same street stock series is going to be running The Rock later this year it's gonna be awesome

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

For want of anything else I listened to some Dale Jr Download. I think it was mentioned that the DW episode was a great listen and it is. Especially Jr's enthusiasm with history.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned here or if you've caught them before but the NASCAR focused episodes of Dinner With Racers are really good. Plus, their two-parter on The Poster is an absolute must-listen for the kinds of NASCAR fans we have here.

I think I did give that DW episode of the Dale Jr podcast a listen too a while back on the thread's recommendation, I'm always here for cheating in racing and rental car abuse stories.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Douchebag posted:

His podcast is great. The Ask Jr segment on YouTube weekly is always fun.

If I had to recommend some absolute must listens:

Ken Schrader
DW (you already got that one)
Kerry Earnhardt
Jimmy Spencer
John Force
Gary Balough

I mean you can throw a dart and hit a good podcast of his.

I usually don’t listen to the full 2 hours but just check out the YouTube segments he puts up, if one really strikes me I’ll listen to the full one.

The Jimmy Spencer one was beyond painful. I couldnt make it to the end of the first part

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Otoh the Ken Schrader pod. I have not laughed so hard in my entire life.

Dale Jr: *tells story about cheating using fuel*

Ken: I knew a fella who peed in the fuel sample once.

And it only gets funnier from there.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ken Schrader is the man. I just recently, like this week, heard the story of him blasting his in car fire extinguisher out his driver window to make it look like he was blowing an engine to make the second place car back off allowing him to hold off for a win. I can't really seem to find anything else out about this except I keep reading articles where people say it is true so I don't know if it is actually true but loving awesome if it is. He is just a great story teller and has a billion stories. That show on SPEED with him and Michael Waltrip and I think wasn't Dave DeSpain the like mediator of that show? Anyways that show was the poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

There are so many little good tidbits you get from that podcast, too.
-Last year was supposed to be Kevin Harvick's last season.
-Dale Jr. tried to get Rick Hendrick to hire MTJ, presumably for the 5 car after Mark Martin.
-Dale's number at Hendrick was originally going to be 28 before they got the 88 from Yates. 81 was also a contender.
-Spire Motorsports plans their budget for each race based upon the last place finishing purse. If they finish any higher, it's a bonus.
- Mark Martin had two different opportunities to drive the 28 car. One of the times he passed saw Cale Yarborough take the ride and win the 500.
-Many drivers you might have thought just faded Into Obscurity or ended up out of the sport because of a lack of performance, like Mike Skinner or Robert Pressley, didn't have things end that way at all but, rather, retired of their own volition for various reasons.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I couldn’t tell whose brain was more scrambled, Spencer or Force (probably Force, he’s insane), both were hard to focus on at times.

The Schrader one you’re either tearing up from laughing or from crying, the stories he tells are so good. Got to meet him once at my local track, Wall Stadium, and he’s just one of the nicest human beings you could imagine. I wanted to ask him to go hang out at a bar after just to hear him tell stories.

One of the Jr episodes that was pretty deep was the Lyndon Amick one. It’s a good listen. Went from NASCAR to the military, family problems, etc. super emotional.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Another good one is Bobby Labonte used to play Papyrus Indy500 in the pits on a laptop when he wasn't in the car. What a legend lmao.

Also been watching 1998 Busch Series on YouTube. Bring back more short tracks imo.

Loved the Nasville Fairgrounds race, and Kenseth moving Smoke out of the way at The Rock.

Also Mark Martin is in like every race finishing 5th.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

algebra testes posted:

Otoh the Ken Schrader pod. I have not laughed so hard in my entire life.

Dale Jr: *tells story about cheating using fuel*

Ken: I knew a fella who peed in the fuel sample once.

And it only gets funnier from there.

Ken Schrader is my favorite person in all of racing. Back when wind tunnel was on speed every time he was a guest it was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Douchebag posted:

I couldn’t tell whose brain was more scrambled, Spencer or Force (probably Force, he’s insane), both were hard to focus on at times.

i met john force around 25 years ago and was astounded to find that he is exactly the same in-person as he is on tv. it was so hard to keep up with what he was saying.