Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
The race was actually pretty decent. The commentary with forced nonsense and gambling poo poo needs to go. Xfinity booths have been fine, maybe even good? But the DW replacement character of Bowyer alongside Gordon's "I will say and talk about whatever the voice in my ear tells me to" is just so old, tired, and apparent it's a complete distraction from the race. Drivers in the booth should be great to listen to as drivers, it worked for years (BP, Ned, Buddy Baker, even Darrell wasn't that bad before he turned into DW). But for whatever reason, even though that's been working pretty well for Xfinity, they've decided they need to make it a reality show style production for Sundays and everyone who has to listen to it is just dumber for it. Ned or BP alone could keep a broadcast interesting even with nothing happening on track, but they tried to make the race the actual show, with them adding on top of it, now the production is the priority and the race is just something occurring in the background while they do a Larry, Moe, and Curly in the booth to bounce from crafted storyline to crafted storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

The plate tracks are super easy to drive, yes.

Racing there is a lot less leniency for any errors though, that's why.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

SRX was a better All Star Race than NASCAR

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

"No way to prevent this" Says only sports league where this regularly happens

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

chamois posted:

this may be an unpopular opinion but i'd drive the republican bitcoin car if i got paid to

:same: if the only other alternative was never racing in top level ever again. Definitely asking for the money up front though from anything crypto.

fake edit: actual money, not your digital monopoly money

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Dibenedetto wouldn't accept shutting the hell up to try and salvage his own career. What makes you think he or anyone else would change their thoughts or desire to express them because you personally don't care?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Thanks for clarifying you weren't just talking about the NASCAR drivers, I gave the benefit of the doubt there rather than just assume.

Allow me to reiterate that last part then, because other people do care. If something happens in the NASCAR world, it's going to end up in here. Sometimes it's political, other times it's not. Either way no one is going to give a poo poo whether you want to see it or not. Either offer offer something of substance as a different topic that's relevant or go find some other thread that has something you care to read.

Also, "Incessant sharing of updates"? There's been literally one post on him in the last 2 months, about a former cup driver getting demoted all the way to trucks. Anything else "political" for topics has been related to sponsorship shenanigans, or things NASCAR itself has announced. None of this is driven by "just sharing political things", it's poo poo we'd be posting about regardless of the driver involved, or whether the sponsor was themselves a political thing

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

I hear the F1 thread is the better place for those who prefer not to be roasted.

No one tell them we're roasting people, they'll jump in and scold us for not air frying.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

***Just a note, this all comes with the big caveat of the half dozen trips we did being in the before times. Although it being Alabama, probably not different from then***

Don't stay "near" the track. About an hour away the balance between not being "FU pricing" and "long rear end drive" was about right, IMO. There's a couple La Quintas in Birmingham that always had pretty decent prices.

Getting into the track is not really much issue at all, pretty smooth sailing for a drive in. We'd head in around 9-10, it might pick up a bit if you head out later, but the inbound flows are well setup that it shouldn't be too much issue. They usually had pretty active trackside stuff and plenty to occupy the pre race time fully, and WAY more parking space than even needed. I think there's shuttle stuff, but we never used it, and I don't think it goes out beyond the brutal hotel pricing area.

Getting OUT of the track is a nightmare. 99% of the people leaving will be using the one E/W highway to leave, and it will be 2-4 hours to get out of that depending on how quickly/slowly you leave and how close/far away from the track itself you are parked.

If you're going a day or two before the race, hit up the museum for sure. The trackside shuttle tour if it's running was kinda meh, but it's not not worth the price. There's not really too much else in the area that jumps out at me, besides a pretty decent chinese buffet place that I'd have to try and dig through my gps tracking to find if you want to hit that up for dinner.

Also, if you need any special ADA stuff, get in touch with their ticket folks so you can get proper seating and parking for that, they're super helpful and also will never ever leave you alone with emails and phone calls even if you haven't gone for 3 years

Hope whoever you're pulling for wins, it's pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

New thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993503

Pay no mind to my inability to tell what year it is. Harper will fix that shortly