Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Wreck 'em if you've got' em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
What the gently caress was that

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

McDowell definitely caused that lmao

I wonder if he will be literally Derrike Cope in thirty years

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/DannyBTalks/status/1376148274286104577

It's like they pay meteorologists to tell them the worst Sundays of the year

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

It was about as bad as it could get logistically as it could without being a disaster. I don't think they planned for how the layers would collapse after three inches of rain run through it and a day longer than they needed, and I don't know how they thought running the trucks on it first was going to work out well.

That said, it was entertaining, decent enough race, and I hope the track and teams are all better prepared next year.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

It's just too long, the purpose of it being so long - that it was a test of the endurance of your engine - is totally gone. I won't even think about buying tickets for the 600 until they move the trying halftime program to pre-race.

Also, the difference in tone between the serious of NBC at the Indy 500* vs. Jay Leno poo poo and Coca-Cola interruptions and the way I winced at where that gynecologist joke was going, it's absolutely dreadful. I have watched most of the Fox races on mute, and am counting down to the end of their broadcast season.

*that broadcast wasn't brilliant, but it sold the dramatics and the urgency well. It was the first full 500 I think a lot of people have watched in a long time. I laughed when they said Helio was STRUGGLING with 2 laps to go from 2nd, that was when I knew he'd win

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Is anyone going to Pocono? I'm thinking about both days by myself, I don't think my crew will be traveling. I'd rather buy sooner and get higher up but of course, I worry about the weather.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I don't understand anything about the format of this and I would have forgotten about it if I didn't start seeing gifs of cars spinning out on twitter.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Also it's fuckin annoying that this thread doesn't come up from my history when I type NASCAR or when I ctrl+f NASCAR on a list, regardless of whether it is or was a funny joke at some point, sorry

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

harperdc posted:

Any ideas from the thread on a new title then, given we’re more than half a season in?

I don't really care as long as it has "NASCAR" in it
Umm something about the lack of sponsorships...?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Also I know it's the all-star race but I always found the introductions to drag a bit, and that was annoying because it was an extremely Eddie Gossage thing. But Jamie Little was great as emcee and she is somehow even more versatile than they use her for, and sometimes the only bright spot on an entire Fox weekend. I do still like when Gordon tips off some experience I've not heard from him but he's given away most of the good stuff by now.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Very respectable attendance at Pocono today. I know some people were saying that it was gonna be like the '90s. The days of busing people in from satellite lots are never coming back. But it's as good as it's been in fifteen years or so, much more local crowd than it was back then. Lots of new and old shirts.

Also lol CLASSIC trucks

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

The Hendrick merch trailer was wild busy selling that #5 poo poo like hotcakes which winning will do for ya. He's been very candid about it all and I am fine with redemption if that's what we're doing, it's better to encourage people to correct themselves than double down, but for the fact that the people who choose to support him wouldn't even admit that cancel culture isn't real...

23XI trailer was even more popular with the kids specifically though

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

The only good guys in my book are those who without hesitation stood up for Bubba Wallace. Richard Petty, Jimmie Johnson, Tyler Reddick, Ty Dillon, is that it? I'll support those guys and of course Bubba in whatever they do. Denny I think just made a business decision and that's all good and well but Petty did go above and beyond what he needed to do as a team owner. Everyone else came off as wishy-washy at best. Blaney sounds reasonable if you listen closely but I suspect he was afraid to make any waves.

Grandpa or somebody made Ty Dillon delete that poo poo he tweeted at Trump but it was legit funny and now we know how he feels in his heart of hearts so he's cool. His fuckin brother and her wife you can look at their twitter likes to see how they feel about poo poo. Some of those wives if you look at their likes are truly awful, especially Delana Harvick. Samantha Busch seems decent enough, and Sherry Pollex is an absolute sweetheart.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

It was Reddick who tweeted at Trump to gently caress off which really raised his standing in my book

ah yeah got them confused

I already had to remember the other ones by the pnemonic, "grandson Ty? standup guy. grandson Austin? more racist than Boston"

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2021/06/30/trackhouse-purchases-chip-ganassi-racing-nascar-operation/

I think this is probably good news. I've been saying for a while once the long-time owners pass away, the only people interested in dumping money into NASCAR teams as a line of business would be the most successful retiring drivers.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Suarez used to get babip'd to hell by wrecks, plus Gibbs treated him as a development contract and he was probably in commensurate equipment

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I'm at a dirt track for the first time in my life, this poo poo slaps. I've always been warned how gross they are. There's not a lot of dirt in the air here, I reckon it depends on the weather and the size and the shape, because I'm staying clean, wouldn't call it loud, either

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

The last race was supposed to be an Enduro but I think not a true Enduro and then it started pouring so they just threw the white flag and ended it
fr I've left paved tracks dirtier from parking on dry grass

GD_American posted:

If you ever get a chance, race Bombers at a dirt track. They're practically a half step from the junkyard, and some owners will rent theirs out. I did it one night at Augusta and slung an old broke-rear end LTD sideways for ten minutes around the dirt track outside Fort Gordon, and my wife practically had to do surgery to get the grin off my face.

Hahaha I'm sure she was thrilled

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

SRX has promoters' promoters, they know that a race is a show, that events should be momentous. NASCAR has solidified this format where your favorite driver will tell you after the race that he's pretty happy with a 7th place finish just grinding to the playoffs.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

You knew that yellow for debris that was outside the racing line was going to breed 3 or 4 more cautions but holy poo poo

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Although those cars all just went straight through where that debris was so in that regard I guess I'm wrong LMAO

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I don't get what took so long to red flag? You could see the 24's oil going all over the second he hit it. Fortunately the guys who hit the tires were not injured afaik.

They wanted a couple in to move things along for TV? Did they think it would be an easy repair?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

GD_American posted:

I hate Michael McDowell so loving much

Apparently he did what you're supposed to do, since Bubba got penalized for not doing it.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

GD_American posted:

(inside NASCAR rules trailer)
"hmmmm act of self-preservation on part of driver = no penalty*"
"What's that asterisk there, Bob"
"let me see, Appendix A....."in case of black driver, NASCAR shall-"

Not to say there's none of that, but you're assuming that NASCAR writes/enforces rules with any conception of what the implications are of behavior/consequences in a real race.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

and with each caution this becomes more of an amateur event

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

can't wait to see what Hamlin has to say about Briscoe lmao

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

That was a restrained response by Denny. I don't think he took a shortcut by choice but how does Briscoe not immediately know he had a penalty. Kid, this ain't Mario Kart

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Ultimately you're racing hard, racing for the win, and Briscoe is uniquely inexperienced/dopey to not know what was going on.

But I'm wondering if the penalty was misapplied in the way it unfolded that in letting up and with Denny passing that. He did advance his opinion on re-entry, but he also slowed up and Denny passed him again (not sure if intentional or just regaining speed), so did he advance his position, or compared to whom or when?? It certainly doesn't seem like a penalty was necessary for enforcing a competitive equity here, and I am not sure that the letter of the law justifies it either.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

The dump was on purpose, but did Briscoe know he was a dead man walking or should he have expected to be a dead man walking? I think he didn't because he is dumb, but I think there is a smart argument that he shouldn't have believed he would be.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Mike Bagley is as great on TV as he is on the radio, though

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/KellyCrandall/status/1427042507737731074

The President of IMS may be an idiot

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I have it on closed caption but who the gently caress said that Austin Dillon DRIFTED UP INTO Brad, that was some dirty poo poo by the #2 all the way

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I'm told that was Jeff Burton, and Jr. just said nothing about any of it lol

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1431244186670534656

This is mad cute

Shame about Florida

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

classic Steve OD blaming the sky gods while his people take a leave of absence to face dog abuse felonies

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Papis was into the Chinese lab leak poo poo before the US started shutting down, I think because he didn't want it to be called the Milan virus, but yeah not surprised

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

People have been hinting all week that a driver's affair/cheating was about to blow up and then today that Joe Gibbs was about to have a PR disaster. Huh.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Has anyone been to the Charlotte roval? I talked to someone who said the view from GM tower was not worth the price they charge there. Is Ford above the suites the real primo seats? Is Grand National good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Dale Jarrett, Dale Jr. and Kyle Petty have to be better than what's going on so far