Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I don't know about you, but I like it when the PLAYOFFS for all three series start on three different weeks. That's not confusing, no siree.

As for actual news, in perhaps the most random Speedweeks entry we've seen in a LONG time, Rich Bickle is running the ARCA race.
https://twitter.com/richbickle/status/1359875581035360258/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Peanut President posted:

we were talking in discord about how dumb the duel is so here's my idea to set the 500:
Top 2 Qualifiers are the pole sitters
Top 10 in each of the twin races get in
The 16 Chase drivers from last year get a provisional so they get in
That leaves 2+ spots available (depending on where the 16 Chase drivers end up) that you hand out on time OR you can do something fun and have the past champions provisional and a diversity spot for a woman/non-white dude/minority-owned team to get a freebie if they miss the race otherwise

edit: the fun part is, aside from the twin races you can do all this for the rest of the year too. The Chasers get their Free Pass and everyone else actually has to work to make the race.

I like it, but what happens if the Chase drivers finish in the top 10? Just keep going down the previous year's standings until you get an equal number?

And dear God, somebody would run Natalie Decker in a car with a guaranteed spot and it would be ugly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Please rise and remove your hats for the National Anthem of the tertiary NASCAR series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZdQyBpo3s

(Now on FOX Sports 1.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev26vU6_TOo

Race fans, it's time for the main event of the weekend. Yes, it's not the last race of Speedweeks but (typically) the first.

:siren: LOL ARCA is next on FOX Sports 1. :siren: :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm going to make The Allen Bestwick Memorial "If You're New to NASCAR" Effortpost in case there are new fans tuning in for the Daytona 500:

NASCAR Cup Series: The top level of NASCAR, not the top level of entertainment. This is where your stars are and where everyone wants to end up. The racing hasn't been that great in the last few years because they keep screwing around with the aero package, but we'll have a new car next year which hopefully doesn't suck as much.

Top drivers: Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick, Denny Hamlin, Martin Truex, Jr., Joey Logano, Brad Keselowski.

NASCAR Xfinity Series: NASCAR's B-league. Prior to about 2006, this series was fun, with a mix of up-and-coming driver and washouts from the Cup series, with occasional appearances by Cup series drivers. From 2006-2018 or so, this series was rear end, but it's made a comeback to its old mix of drivers the last couple years and is almost more fun than Cup. The AHL to the NHL.

Top drivers: Justin Allgaier, Austin Cindric

NASCAR Gander Outdoors Camping World Truck Series: NASCAR's tertiary series which races:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZdQyBpo3s

TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS. The only series which makes tracks like Kansas and Texas entertaining.

Top drivers: Matt "Winless 2019 Champion" Crafton, Johnny Sauter, Brett Moffitt, John Hunter Nemechek.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/jim_utter/status/1361067391413813249

FOX:
-Starts the race at 3pm EST to get the West Coast Audience in.
-Leaves no margin for error in case of delays.
-May postpone the resumption of the race because of the premier of a game show hosted by the dorky guy from American Pie.

:downsbravo:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

If they restart tomorrow at 4 p.m., that's 1 p.m. out west. How will the beloved West Coast Audience see the race? Won't someone PLEASE think of West Coast Audience?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

tomorrow is a holiday

Not for me.

I actually have a double whammy. The campus is already closed tomorrow due to an impending snowstorm, but everyone working from home has to work since it wasn't a holiday anyway. :suicide:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

The real fun is going to be 25 races from now when McDowell is 24th in points but going to the playoffs and either Brad or Joey didn't get a win and had a marginal season and will miss the playoffs by like 3 points.

As I mentioned in Discord, 25 races from now will see us do the exact same thing over again in the hopes of the same outcome!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I was going to suggest that McDowell could conceivably win his way into the second round of the chase if the Roval were in the first round, but it's not.

Had that been the case, he also conceivably could have been a threat at Talladega, which could have propelled him into the third round.

Now I'm bummed that chaos won't reign.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Make the road course the Chase cutoff race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

I saw those tweets and I was more wondering, who knew Mike Joy thinks? He just seems like a straight commentator to me. Welcome to the broadcast, this is the race, this is how many laps, 1 dumb joke that wouldn't make anybody laugh in an effort to make it seem like he has a personality and throw it to Jeff and Clint for some color and wackiness. Like I'm sure the guy has opinions and poo poo privately but I was surprised to see a network TV guy publicly talk down to anybody in his respective sport when he's so replaceable.

He's been interacting with fans since Usenet and speaks out from time to time. I remember somewhere last year where he either said or tweeted something which felt as though he was passive-aggressively saying he was ready to kill Kyle Larson for having his really bad opinions on iRacing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

Can you guys give me a breakdown of what NASCAR actually is these days?

I say that as one who was born in the NASCAR, one with the NASCAR as a kid.

My dad was in autoparts sales in the 80s and 90s. I've met all of the legends, was in all of the infield hospitality areas as a kid, got all of the autographs, but honestly don't remember any of that stuff, and I'm sure it doesn't really reflect on what's going on now.

How long ago did you stop watching? Breaking down a bit by category:

NASCAR: The NASCAR of the late '90s (I started watching regularly late in '96) and early-to-mid 2000s in terms of being "something someone with a reasonable amount of money and a sponsor can get into" is long gone and the sport itself is recovering from 15 years of Brian France leadership. NASCAR went supernova up until about 2006 or '07, at which point they began flying too close to the Sun and tanking the whole thing, then endlessly doubling down on the bad moves to try and recover.

The Cup series debuted a playoff format in 2004 and it's gone through 5 different revisions in 16 years as Brian France leadership led to endless tinkering. The championship is now determined in one race. Seen "Cars"? It's that, but real. And it's a system meant to encourage winning, only for a winless driver to win the Truck title in the last couple years. It's p bad.

Sponsorships: Gone are the days where one car has one sponsor all year, allowing wealth to be shared; instead of Dale Earnhardt driving the Goodwrench Chevy, you have Ryan Blaney in the Menards/PPG/Advance Auto Parts/Pirtek Ford. In the mid-2000s, Roush Racing started offering partial-season sponsorship packages, which set the tone for the rest of the sport to the point that Little Jim Bob's Racing isn't going to get XYZ Company as a sponsor when they can snag a few Cup races a year with Much Better Driver and/or Car.

Teams: The teams finally ganged up on NASCAR, who put into place a Charter system which guarantees the 36 member teams starting spots for each race; they also simultaneously cut fields from 43 to 40, which creates a barrier to entry unless Daddy Warbucks brings his :10bux: to town and can overcome some of the small team woes I just spoke of.

Drivers: For the most part, drivers today are lacking in personality but not daddy's money. The same fans who ranted against Jeff Gordon being a "spoiled, rich, silver spoon pretty boy" (those who are still around anyway) love the hell out of spoiled, rich, silver spoon pretty boy Chase Elliott, Bill's son, which is a fun cognitive dissonance.

Tracks: NASCAR invested huge amounts of money in "cookie cutters" (think Charlotte, copied a bunch of times and modified slightly each time) which produce not-so-good racing. They've finally started to go away from this; the fans wanted more road courses and short tracks. We get 7 road course races this year, but NASCAR forgot the "more short tracks" bit, and you can argue we have one less this year because Bristol is on Dirt. (You're not hallucinating. Bristol. Dirt.) Speaking of Bristol, Bruton Smith also broke what wasn't broken and repaved it, thus ruining it and having to dance frantically when races there were mostly empty and he couldn't understand why. That drat rogue engineer who repaved the track while Bruton wasn't lookin.' :argh:

The Southern 500 was taken off Labor Day in 2004 because NASCAR wanted to "modernize tradition" and gave the date to Fontana. When that flopped, they could've given it back to Darlington, but sent it to Atlanta :wtc:. They eventually unfucked this, too. The Coke Zero 400 (fmr Pepsi 400) is now in August.

Other Bad Ideas: NASCAR replaced a good car with the Car of Tomorrow in 2008. This was such an enormous pile of poo poo that they replaced it with the Gen6 in 2013. This has become such an enormous piece of poo poo that we're getting the Gen7 in 2022. Also, the networks have the sport by the balls, so the Noon/1pm Eastern start times in the days of yore have been replaced with 3:30 start times because we have to get the WEST COAST AUDIENCE home from church before we drop the rag.

Busch Series: For about a decade, the Xfinity (Busch) Series was unwatchable hot garbage overrun by Cup drivers (Buschwackers), peaking in 2007 when a whopping 3 of 33 races were won by guys who didn't run on Sunday as well. Oh, and that was the second of four straight seasons where well-established, top-tier Cup drivers won the Busch championship. Thankfully, that seemed to die off for good in the last couple years and NXS is arguably the best series right now.

There's also a Truck Series now. TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS!

TL;DR- Things were Bad for a while, but seem to slowly be trending in a positive direction. Thank God Brian got that DUI.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 7, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good looking paint scheme. Too bad about the driver.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bubba's in the same category as Danica and Chase when they both got to Cup: you're in the top equipment, so the excuses for not performing are running out. Chase (eventually) figured it out, Danica didn't. Bubba's TBD.

algebra testes posted:

That reminds me. I hate the current Busch series for Abandoning The Short Tracks but then I heard Dale talking about when he got to the Busch series it was his first experience on a super speedway and I'm like... yeah probably good they run similar tracks huh.

The late '90s Busch schedule still had a good mix of tracks for drivers to cut their teeth on. The only tracks Cup didn't visit were Las Vegas, Hickory, Nashville (the good one), Nazareth, South Boston, Milwaukee, Myrtle Beach, Gateway, IRP, and Homestead.

They ran a few races on Cup tracks which weren't companion events- I know California was in October and I think the Glen was in June.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cygni posted:

They are buying everything turnkey from Gibbs aren’t they?

This was my impression. If I remember right, Jordan got involved on the condition he didn't want to run 20th every week.

Plus, even if it's a satellite team/"fifth car", if it's anything like Furniture Row, it's going to be fast.

e- Yes to all of the above:

quote:

The agreement with Gibbs calls for 23XI Racing to receive the best available equipment in terms of chassis, bodies and engines. The team will work out of Germain Racing’s shop in Mooresville, North Carolina.

"They're not providing services to us for free," Hamlin said. "They're not providing cars to us for free. Everything is independent in terms of not using any (JGR) staff. We have our own payroll, and our own vendors we have to pay, so this organization stands on its own as far as that's concerned.

"That was the main criteria: That it has to stand on its own."

From that standpoint, it’s similar to the agreement Gibbs and Toyota had with Furniture Row Racing from 2016-2019, which allowed the team to have an office in the JGR shop since that team was headquartered in Denver, Colorado.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nas...es-nascar-team/

Toyota was also catching heat for not having enough competitive non-JGR-proper cars.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 15, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/TimmyHillRacer/status/1374456532427939840?s=19

this sport does a bangup job at sucking all the poo poo sometimes

Wouldn't he have won the championship last year if they had kept points? Why isn't he running in this? :wtc:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Timmy will drive Brad K's 2 car tonight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Peanut President posted:

lol at a street course in Chicago for a series that couldn't sell out loving Joliet

Who needs good racetracks when we can keep doubling down on major markets? DA BEARZ.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

that 96 car looks extremely good. i bet a cool dude designed it

That cool dude didn't design this, did he?
https://twitter.com/StewartHaasRcng/status/1375906835341975554/photo/1

"Let's celebrate our first dirt race by pre-dirtying our car rather than letting it organically get dirty and selling that in a diecast." :confuoot:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The most NASCAR start possible for the first dirt NASCAR race at Bristol :downsbravo::

https://twitter.com/GMSRacingLLC/status/1375920954916868099
https://twitter.com/NASCAR_Trucks/status/1375922313389092870

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 27, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

who knew managing a dirt track could be hard!

Not FOX Sports and NASCAR.

Bruton will find a rogue engineer to blame.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS now on FS1.

The NASCAR Cup Series at 4pm on FOX actual.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Discussion in Discord during the race was would they come back to Bristol next year or try something else?

They're already advertising next year's race on Bristol's Facebook.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't think "the hype" was ever that this was going to be some incredible perfect race, rather that it would be an interesting experiment that would potentially be a loving disaster. It almost was! But it wasn't.

Best Season EverTM

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

iospace posted:

loving bring back Eldora, cowards

:yeah:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey, speaking of Eldora:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/1382332870988066816

Booth: Allen Bestwick, Dan Ica/Dario Franchitti/James Hinchcliffe (two races each)
Pits: Matt Yocum
Host: Lindsay Czarniak
Roaming Reporter: Brad Daugherty

I wish they'd have involved Schrader somehow or reunited AB and Wally, but this is a good crew, right here. :golfclap:

E- the three drivers are analysts only. I thought they were in-race reporters at first.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 14, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Guess the truck series is scraping the bottom of the barrel to get people to give the start your engines command...

You're going to love the fan-created name for the Kansas Cup race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:siren: LOL ARCADEGA now on FS1 :siren:.

They've done an :effort: job with track drying and the bottom line is wet. I'm sure this will be fine.

bigbillystyle posted:

I'm guessing it is partially related to being called to the hauler after Richmond for getting into it with Norm Benning. Maybe that particular meeting didn't go well and NASCAR just said, you know what, if you can't run around the back of the pack without causing problems and then you're gonna argue with us about it then forget it we aren't letting you out there on a Sunday. Especially on a track where a minor mistake or a small payback may result in a huge crash.

That's just speculation. I think at somepoint NASCAR even addressed the Richmond incident and said the decision had nothing to do with it but that could have been bullshit too. She could have been completely apologetic for the backmarker scuffle at Richmond and NASCAR are being dicks for the sake of being dicks or that the powers that be in making the decision to let her race or not don't like her or something. She's at least been racing in the top 3 series this year. They let Derrick Cope start the 500 in his 60's after a few years away so they aren't exactly being consistent on why they are letting some people race and some people not. NASCAR inconsistent with rulings? Shocker there.

I wondered if her use of The Matt Kenseth Defense factored into it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 24, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Why would Denny put himself in a position to get wtecked when he was probably one of the only cars a lap down and could easily have gotten the free pass?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/FredSmith914/status/1396591686457774087

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/KellyCrandall/status/1397231177682014208

GD_American posted:

hahah holy poo poo the details of that incident
That is some Squidbillies level poo poo there

I think he made references to being a Christian or something like that in his Twitter bio, too.

I liked him as a spotter, but...yikes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

there's actually been pretty decent racing this year imo but the coke 600 is a great time to do anything else

Even the 600 wasn't too bad at times. It's better than the days where Truex led 392 of 400 laps.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There's an SRX preview show on CBSSN right now. Danica, unfortunately, is the narrator, and every time she says Ray Ev-eren-ham, I cringe.

I am looking forward to the finished product, though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

There's an SRX preview show on CBSSN right now. Danica, unfortunately, is the narrator, and every time she says Ray Ev-eren-ham, I cringe.

I am looking forward to the finished product, though.

Speaking of, this debuts now on CBS.

That's CBS proper, not CBSSN

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SRX is shortening heats to 12 minutes, keeping the drivers in the same color car as they were last week, and (I think) making driver names bigger.

Take notes on listening to fans, NASCAR.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SON OF A gently caress, YOU GUYS! :dogbutton:

https://youtu.be/mRz2zBAA3UI

Somebody put up a bunch of Inside Winston Cups on YT. :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kyle Larson taking a turn to the right finally did the world some good.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm at a dirt track for the first time in my life, this poo poo slaps. I've always been warned how gross they are. There's not a lot of dirt in the air here, I reckon it depends on the weather and the size and the shape, because I'm staying clean, wouldn't call it loud, either

If you sit in the grandstands in turns 1 and 2 at Eldora, you can make the argument you don't need hearing protection. Only racetrack I've been to where you can say that.

GD_American posted:

If you ever get a chance, race Bombers at a dirt track. They're practically a half step from the junkyard, and some owners will rent theirs out. I did it one night at Augusta and slung an old broke-rear end LTD sideways for ten minutes around the dirt track outside Fort Gordon, and my wife practically had to do surgery to get the grin off my face.

GD_American Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Chase Elliott drives off to an IndyCar style margin of victory and completely takes the wind out of Road America's sails.

Best. Season. EVARRRRR.