Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdNo1LX34A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
That's rather silly; she's run at Daytona and Talladega in Trucks and Xfinity many times before, so it's not like she doesn't have any experience at those tracks. Sure, she's never run a Cup car and there's no practice, but 'Dega's probably the easiest place to start off in Cup for someone with that much superspeedway experience in the lower divisions.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Eric McClure has died. Sad to hear.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mearn posted:

Eric McClure blocked me, but I won in the long run.

:stonk:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mischief posted:

Ramps on the straightaways.

I think you're actually on to something here: just make them all drive Super Trucks for the All-Star event. That'd actually be fun and hilarious to watch.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Well, poo poo, seems Bob Jenkins has died... :(

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I have to admit that waiting to see who's going to be the first car to blow a right front fifteen laps into each green flag run is definitely not as entertaining as waiting to see who's going to be the first car after each restart to tear their oil pan off jumping over a crumbling sausage curb and wipe out half the field with the resulting oil slick. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

seventimessix posted:

I know some people may not like it because "Waaaa team orders" but i found seeing the Kaulig cars work together to get the lead then run to the finish line 3 wide incredibly impressive and cool.

"Team orders" is F1-style "Valtteri, it's James..." bullshit like "Pull over and let your teammate pass for the win because ~~ChAmPiOnShIp ImPlIcAtIoNs~~" or "Go spin out because our top driver needs a caution to make the Chase". That was just good old-fashioned plate track teamwork; nothing wrong with that.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 28, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Winston used to be special and fun because a) it had a relatively fun format, b) was fairly simple, and c) was a showcase for all the one-off special paint schemes designed especially for the race. Once they decided "Oh, we need four quarters of equal lengths like footbaww, an LCQ which is the night before the main event, and an inversion format for the final segment which requires a PhD in statistics to be able to understand", it got to where the damage was done.

The Winston kind of got screwed by the first night race being the most insane finish ever, which made every year afterwards seemed dull by comparison, so NASCAR's been trying to recreate Kyle Petty Wrecks loving Everybody for the last thirty years (and of course it definitely didn't help once the cars couldn't really race properly at the 1.5-mile tracks anymore because of too much aero dependency). Like, I hardly remember anything from any of the later All Star races except that one time Mikey won his way in from the Open and then won the main event, that time Jeff Burton's crew chief found a loophole in whatever silly pit stop rule NASCAR was using that year, and of course the time it started pouring down rain as soon as they threw the green flag and everyone crashed in turn one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

shyduck posted:

Honestly I've softened on him because he does seem contrite and fellow drivers including Bubba have vouched for him. Dude is obviously very talented. He's got some toxic terrible fans though

lovely fans aside (and what driver doesn't have some?), yeah, I'm OK with Larson. He did an offensive, thoughtless, and stupid thing, but it doesn't seem to have been malicious, and he took full responsibility for it, apologised, and did everything he could to make amends. Sure, he was no doubt motivated at least in part by losing his ride and putting his career at risk, but that's kind of the point; he hosed up, he accepted the consequences for it, and he seems to have learned from his screw-up and (hopefully) become a better person as a result. If he'd continued the same behaviour, or he'd moaned about being "canceled" unfairly or been unwilling to own up to the fact that what he did was wrong, sure, that'd be a different story, but that wasn't the case here. Demanding that someone suffer for the rest of their life because of one foolish offensive thing they said, no matter how sorry they are for it or how much they've worked to make amends and improve themselves afterwards, is just ridiculous. People are flawed and do dumb poo poo sometimes; that's just the human condition. It's what you do after you gently caress up that defines what sort of person you are, and Larson seems a decent enough guy in that respect.