Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Now that Derrike Cope has officially retired I have about 69 autographed Cope things for sale, no lowballers!

My dad was in auto parts sales in the late 80s/early 90s and Purolator was one of his big accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Can you guys give me a breakdown of what NASCAR actually is these days?

I say that as one who was born in the NASCAR, one with the NASCAR as a kid.

My dad was in autoparts sales in the 80s and 90s. I've met all of the legends, was in all of the infield hospitality areas as a kid, got all of the autographs, but honestly don't remember any of that stuff, and I'm sure it doesn't really reflect on what's going on now.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

How long ago did you stop watching? Breaking down a bit by category:

*snip*

Thanks for this, it was an interesting read.

I probably stopped watching about 10ish years ago, maybe a little longer ago than that so that was a nice synopsis.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mischief posted:

I really have started to question if he has the raw ability to make it to the next level lately. He's great for the sport, don't get me wrong, he just seems to end up in a pinch or running out of talent more often than you would expect with that much publicity/hype.

Genuine question from me. I posted earlier in the thread about not having watched NASCAR for a long time, but what defines ability in the sport?

Since they're all running the sameish cars it isn't like F1(which I don't watch at all but I've heard that a lot of guys would win like Hamilton if they had his car, could be conjecture, or just not wanting the black guy to win, like I said I don't follow F1)

Is it reflexes, seeing passing/drafting lanes on the track? The fastest lines are pretty well defined, does it come down to decision making in the car towards the end of a race?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Didn't Junior tell a similar tale as this happening to him? He supposedly flipped his truck into a ditch in front of someones home while trying to get to some function, and Senior being called to pick up Junior?

Pretty sure I’ve heard that story too and Senior was very much not impressed.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

That cool dude didn't design this, did he?
https://twitter.com/StewartHaasRcng/status/1375906835341975554/photo/1

"Let's celebrate our first dirt race by pre-dirtying our car rather than letting it organically get dirty and selling that in a diecast." :confuoot:

#Buschschartcar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

who the gently caress is derrike cope

You son of a bitch.