Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
All they need to do is change it so that hitting silver with a pick checks for gravity, rather than doing the check once the first piece breaks free. Then you can go straight from eithkyr to silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I dislike the mountains more than the swamp.

Once you get iron, make iron gear and tools, and can also make sausages, you can begin to handle the swamp no problem, with it getting stupid easy as time goes on (silver sword and buckle shield allowing me to 3-shot an abomination :flipoff:).

The mountains will, I find, gently caress you up more than the swamps when first venturing into them. The golems, wolves, drakes, and the werewolf enemies whose name I forget. 2-3 of any of those enemies and you are DONE. The equivalent in the swamp would be an abomination with some draugr elites, but in all my hours, I've rarely come across those two types of enemies at once, when low-level. Do the swamps kind of hold back abomination spawns until you progress more?

Both biomes are totally and sort of equally doable once you've progressed past them accordingly, but jfc, dying on the mountain always gave me more grief than dying in the swamp. Both are bad news bears, but I feel like I have a shot at getting to my tombstone in the swamp, vs climbing up the mountain to find it.

Plains are, of course, an A+ biome.

Edit: I should add that, while venturing through the swamp, I'm wearing a headlamp so I can see at night, and quickly swap it out for an iron helmet once poo poo goes down.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 26, 2024

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The enemy of the mountains aren't the actual enemies, its the terrain. I can pretty reliably deal with golems, drakes, and wolves (as long as its not the hunt event) with upgraded iron gear but if I get attacked on a steeper hill or a cliff with narrows terraces - both of which are everywhere - lol good luck.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Mountains are definitely my least favorite biome. Very picturesque, but basically everything there is annoying as poo poo. The terrain is designed to leave you constantly out of breath, but all of the enemies require constant movement and dodging. Drakes are barely a threat but are slow to to kill. Wolves can murder you at any time. Golems are kindof fun to duel once you’re geared enough to not get one-shot, but that’ll take your full concentration for like the next five minutes, so you’d better not get adds. There are still skeletons for some reason? Frost caves are neat but superfluous unless you’re specifically building the fenris set. In theory, it’s a great place to build staircases and bridges; in reality, anything you build there that you’re not actively defending will get torn down in seconds by wolves or golems, so the only real infrastructure you can make is switchbacks with the pickaxe.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I find the swamps completely unproblematic. I just assume the people who hate them don't bother to eat good food or have potions handy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah half the fun of the mountains is yeeting a cart with thousands of pounds of silver off a cliff and then trying to get it back to your base. Though it's also a bit odd in that you don't actually need very much silver for anything; we collected tons of it because we found a bunch close together, but used almost none of it. The most useful resource by far is the Fenris hair(?) that you need for the +movement speed armor.

But I also really like the Swamp. The permanent wet debuff really forces you to use patience in combat, sailing around looking for a bunch of crypts is legit, and terraforming can be highly rewarding to set up a coal farming route. Really my only complain is that turnips can be hard to spot the first time you run around looking for them, and that removing skeletons from that biome would be nice since they're meaningless by that point of the game anyway.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The game needs a pacification mechanic where the more times you kill a mob in a particular area, the smaller its agro range becomes. I like the danger of exploring new areas, but hate the constant interruptions when I'm at my home base.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

I find the swamps completely unproblematic. I just assume the people who hate them don't bother to eat good food or have potions handy.

they're ugly and I don't want to have to keep going there for iron. :mad:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Swamps are a nearly perfect biome that serves as a good reality check for players. The lessons they learn there make the mountains and plains much more approachable.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it’s important for overall playability that there be at least one safe-ish biome you can land in / build bases in / retreat to throughout the game. They want to phase out the meadows, so the forest has to be that relatively safe biome, and that means there has to be a significant jump in difficulty when you go into the swamps for the first time.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rjmccall posted:

Golems are kindof fun to duel once you’re geared enough to not get one-shot, but that’ll take your full concentration for like the next five minutes

Is the "five minutes" super hyperbolic, or are you just like, chipping away at them with a spear or someshit? Because golems don't actually take very long at all to kill as long as you just use a mace.

Firebert posted:

Swamps are a nearly perfect biome that serves as a good reality check for players. The lessons they learn there make the mountains and plains much more approachable.

Yeah, like I've said before: The swamps are the loving worst place and I wouldn't have them any other way. They're designed to feel miserable, and as such they are a triumph. Few things in the game feel as good as being finished with an excursion to the swamps.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, it’s important for overall playability that there be at least one safe-ish biome you can land in / build bases in / retreat to throughout the game. They want to phase out the meadows, so the forest has to be that relatively safe biome, and that means there has to be a significant jump in difficulty when you go into the swamps for the first time.

Which makes it all the more confusing that they continue to intersperse meadows and black forest throughout the outer half of the map. Would make way more sense to make all of that into Plains, and if you really want to have copper/tin available nearby, slide some nodes into the Fuling camps.

e: VVV there is, but I maintain it should be a nearer limit. Give me great plains islands drat it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 27, 2024

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

There’s a hard limit on meadow spawn radius that prevents them from showing up in the outer reaches of the map, if you load a world into map viewer you can see the boundary pretty well.

After meadow I don’t usually build another big base until we hit plains bc that’s where I’ll need to plan flax and stuff.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

rjmccall posted:

Frost caves are neat but superfluous unless you’re specifically building the fenris set.

This is jute rug erasure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man who wouldn't make the Fenris armor? It is by far the best armor in the game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's just a shame it can't really hold up in the mistlands because the speed boost is really hard to go without.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Fenris armor plus Mistlands cloak is a recipe for Mario-style fun times until you have to retrieve your corpse that’s stuck in some horrible position.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Which makes it all the more confusing that they continue to intersperse meadows and black forest throughout the outer half of the map. Would make way more sense to make all of that into Plains, and if you really want to have copper/tin available nearby, slide some nodes into the Fuling camps.

That was my point: they want there to be a safe zone interspersed all the way out to the edge of the map. Meadows is too easy, so they hard-cap it, but they don’t want to do that to the forest specifically so that you always have the option of anchoring off the forest and setting up a cabin there instead of leaping off your boat and immediately getting ganked by tar lords.

I made the fenris armor once and stopped using it. I don’t like unarmed combat in Valheim.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

That was my point: they want there to be a safe zone interspersed all the way out to the edge of the map. Meadows is too easy, so they hard-cap it, but they don’t want to do that to the forest specifically so that you always have the option of anchoring off the forest and setting up a cabin there instead of leaping off your boat and immediately getting ganked by tar lords.

I made the fenris armor once and stopped using it. I don’t like unarmed combat in Valheim.
The unarmed bonus is totally superfluous to how good that armor is. The fire defense bonus isn't much better. It's all about the speed.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I kind of have the opposite opinion about the mountains. The biome itself is not all that dangerous except the verticality can be a problem if you have multiple wolves chasing you. Also just don't mess around there at night until you are really geared up. A two-star wolf jumping you when you're not ready for it is pretty much insta death.

But I totally agree that the mountains need more. There should be an evil faction of dwarves or something that live there that you have to fight to get x resource. As someone else pointed out, the silver is pretty useless except for a couple of items. Real shame as it's maybe my favorite environment looks / vibes wise.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever fought a golem after the first time I beat one. Now that you can get shitloads of crystals in the caves it's just a tedious fight with a meaningless reward.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

rjmccall posted:

Ahh see I think of the plains as pretty safe honestly. Like yes there's danger, especially your first time in, but that danger is half the fun.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After having a Bad Experience I only park my boat in Meadows or Black Forest. The fact that there's almost always a safer biome next to planes or mistlands is definitely a quality of life thing.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my first real Valheim trauma was sailing too close to the swamps, getting sunk by eels, and then having to make like twenty rafts on the neighboring island in my efforts to recover my body. I do not land on anything worse than the forest.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, my first real Valheim trauma was sailing too close to the swamps, getting sunk by eels, and then having to make like twenty rafts on the neighboring island in my efforts to recover my body. I do not land on anything worse than the forest.

How many days sail were you from your spawn?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
So, technically, at that point in my Valheim progress, I hadn’t realized Fine Wood existed yet. I killed Elder by sailing a raft two continents away and then sailed back and went the north way around a continent and got too close to the swamps and died. (I might have the history slightly wrong; pretty sure it’s in this thread.) Getting to those swamps from home was a pretty solid day of rafting. Figuring out that I should make an excursionary base on the nearest friendly island instead of restarting from home was the second lesson from that particular gently caress-up.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It took me a minute to realize that the lack of fine wood meant that there wasn't a portal from one base to the other in addition to the raft situation and my heart broke for you. Please tell me there was a serpent involved at some point.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Oh god yes, so many serpents

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I love valheim so much

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone tried out the Middle Earth map from Better Continents? It legitimately seems like a very interesting setup.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Has anyone tried out the Middle Earth map from Better Continents? It legitimately seems like a very interesting setup.

No but I will soon now that I know about it.

Edit: is there an up to date version? The one I can find doesn't include any mistlands.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 28, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Well I will be now.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Gave Middle Earth a quick check out.

First thing I noticed is how the flow of the game is very different when there's so little water. There's one major coastline on the main continent, and a few rivers running into it, but that's really it. The starting position is buried deep in a meadows zone that seems to go on forever. I caved and started devcommands flying after a few minutes.

If you hate sailing and absolutely love running however, it does appear to be a playable map. The biomes seemed to spawn as normal except the mistlands. I didn't see any boss arenas but also didn't look for them.

There is plenty of mistlands, but they didn't seem to spawn much besides basic mobs. I didn't see any sign of mines or dwarves but again could have just missed them.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I've been playing kitted out so long I've forgotten how fun the early game progression is. So I re rolled and promptly dropped a Beech tree on my head and died on day 2.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For me the real heartache for shipwrecks is there's basically no situation where you get your nails back unless part of things going wrong is you grounded your vessel.

100 iron nails sinking to the bottom of the ocean, one iron nail driven through my heart.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's why the diving mod is a must for me. It doesn't seem like a cheat at all- more like a missing function.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I think there's also a mod that makes all loot float, which seems safer than diving frankly.

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
I like the game's procedural world generation. It's rare to find a game where the landscapes not only look good but also feel natural and immersive.
The sense of progression in Valheim is excellent. Starting out as a humble Viking with nothing but a stone axe and gradually building up your arsenal and base feels incredibly rewarding.
I don't like their servers because they often lag. The host must always be logged in for others to play, and everybody needs to be re-invited. So, my friends and I got this [link removed]. And it's so much better. It's made our multiplayer sessions much easier to enjoy. We can focus on the adventure without any technical headaches.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Its very naturalistic in its simplicity. The only thing I wish there were more of are water bodies outside the ocean and "rivers" that separate islands. Even just small lakes and streams that aren't big enough for a boat would go a long way but I understand that's a limit of the game. Just being wishful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I chose the location for my first base in my current game because it was near a small pond adjacent to the ocean. I mined out a channel between the two and dredged out the lake some, along with putting in some guard rails to make keeping my boat in the deeper channel easier. It worked really well! Now I need to level the path up to my base to make carting stuff easier.

I guess what I'm saying is I agree with you. This was the first time I saw something like this (granted I haven't played a ton).