Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Its very naturalistic in its simplicity. The only thing I wish there were more of are water bodies outside the ocean and "rivers" that separate islands. Even just small lakes and streams that aren't big enough for a boat would go a long way but I understand that's a limit of the game. Just being wishful.

Similarly, I'd like some distinction between types of bodies of water in terms of how water behaves. Weather and tides would surely generally affect the level of rivers and lakes, but should have less effect on wave size and moment-to-moment changes in water level. It's a little weird to dig a hole under the sea level at some inland point and see a tempestuous sea, and it's annoying to dig a basement that flips between flooded and dry every two seconds when you're nowhere near water.

But I think it's a function of how water is simulated (or not) in the engine and is a hard technical barrier. It's not a big deal and is only notable to me because of the 100+ hours I've put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I’ve built at least two bases on a coast only to discover that it was actually an inland sea. They definitely happen, although I feel like it’s more common with the starting continent. I agree that they’re pretty cool, frustration potential aside.

Better inland rivers would be really cool, but there would be so many problems with adding them. The biggest is just the scale of the game; the game is great at making the world feel big, but ultimately every “continent” is, like, roughly the size of a small river island.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Haven't played for awhile (before the Hildir's Quest patch was added). Will she spawn in any area, randomly, whether previously explored or not? And for the dungeons that were added in that patch, same question -- is it like Mistlands was and if I had explored an area where they were "supposed" to be, they won't spawn?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

new locations added in updates do not spawn in explored areas, I think devs mentioned they want to address this before Ashlands

you can 'regenerate' old worlds with this mod though, it requires BepInExPack installed first

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 7, 2024

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I can't believe I got sucked into another time sink

Last summer we visited our in-laws and my BIL got my 8 year old hooked on it. For this winter break, they watched our son for the week and BIL built him a gaming CPU. We got that hooked up last week and after I had finished getting it going so they could chat, BIL asks "So what's it going to take you to play?"

I played that afternoon. BIL is very experienced and got me kitted out with iron based stuff. Felt I needed more time to come up to speed and spent the week in my own world.

They were working on moving their base and I was tasked with building a house for beds. A few hours later, they had enough at about the same time.

Me? I played another 90 minutes on his server getting a drat hearth going in babby's second janky house.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Make sure you definitely DO NOT eventually spend too much time mining ungodly amounts of iron and moving it across the ocean so you can build massive iron beam supported structures.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Majik Ninja posted:

I like the game's procedural world generation. It's rare to find a game where the landscapes not only look good but also feel natural and immersive.
The sense of progression in Valheim is excellent. Starting out as a humble Viking with nothing but a stone axe and gradually building up your arsenal and base feels incredibly rewarding.
I don't like their servers because they often lag. The host must always be logged in for others to play, and everybody needs to be re-invited. So, my friends and I got this Valheim private server. And it's so much better. It's made our multiplayer sessions much easier to enjoy. We can focus on the adventure without any technical headaches.

Listen, I'm not saying they aren't good, but it is impressive how you managed to sound exactly like a commercial in this post.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
How laggy is it? I switched to host havoc out of curiosity and it's just a tiny bit worse than shockbyte but close enough i never bothered to switch back. How playable is it when multiple players are on screen?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

JosephSkunk posted:

How laggy is it? I switched to host havoc out of curiosity and it's just a tiny bit worse than shockbyte but close enough i never bothered to switch back. How playable is it when multiple players are on screen?

Mine is very very bad for some unknown reason and multiple players makes it unplayable. I asked a few weeks ago in here about it and goons said to use Vulkan at launch and it's like 500% better. Not perfect but MUCH more playable.

quick edit: whoops, you were talking about something else :)

Burns
May 10, 2008

Theres a test patch out which purports to add performance improvements to the game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Still no Ashlands huh? How long has it been now? What a joke.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You dying? It's fine, dude.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Slow News Day posted:

A year and three months. Which is about what I would have expected tbh.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

Source your quotes

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
This is right about when they usually announce new hats and foods you can make instead of the next biome (sorry just joshin love the truck)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Slow News Day posted:

How much did you pay for this game? I would genuinely welcome more fleshing out of existing biomes long before a new one is pushed out.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

JosephSkunk posted:

This is right about when they usually announce new hats and foods you can make instead of the next biome (sorry just joshin love the truck)

We bought a donkey!!!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I found one of those mines where you go down a shaft and around a tight corner and then it just opens up into a horrible maze, and of course I killed everything down there and then went and did other things for long enough that all the seekers respawned, and of course when I came back I recklessly charged down and suddenly found myself running away from six different seekers and ended up dying at the top of the wrong shaft. Fortunately that was with my Mistlands gear, so I could come back and try to rescue it with my Plains gear. Still a terrible slog, though.

Someday I will finish this game with a Running level over 40.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://valheim.com/news/development-blog:-decorative-details/

Ashlands PTR seems imminent

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Diagonal floor pieces!!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

looks great

Burns
May 10, 2008

Reading steam comments is wild. Like i get it the game isnt done and its development is going slowly, but this is a game thats under $20. Its as if the devs murdered their dog or something.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I mean they are showing off one diagonal floor build piece when that's something that can be added to the game by a competent modder in about 10 minutes.

I'm sure they have better stuff in store it's just an odd choice to showcase.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I don't know why you'd show off diagonal floors, and not like, give more roof pieces (smaller, steeper) so you can make more shapes that don't look like poo poo on the inside.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You can already make diagonal floors, it just requires a lot of extra wood

Not that that stops me from making every new building look like the I Ching

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I don't know why you'd show off diagonal floors, and not like, give more roof pieces (smaller, steeper) so you can make more shapes that don't look like poo poo on the inside.

they specifically said there will be fifty (50) new build pieces in that blog post

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I'm hoping we can get some of the fancier black marble shapes out of stone. I'm building a massive checkerboard/striped stone/marble building and I have to choose to break the pattern or limit myself to floors, 1x1s and 1x2s.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
If Ashlands is coming soon, it looks like I may have picked this up at the right time. After being unhappy with choices I made in my first game, I rerolled my world and added some QOL mods.

I just started exploring the mountains for the first time, and after being warned about wolves by a friend and finding them to be not too bad, I got a "you are being hunted" event and got absolutely stomped despite having max level iron gear and healing meds. The event lasted so long I just ran out of stamina and couldn't fight, defend, or run.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Xenix posted:

If Ashlands is coming soon, it looks like I may have picked this up at the right time. After being unhappy with choices I made in my first game, I rerolled my world and added some QOL mods.

I just started exploring the mountains for the first time, and after being warned about wolves by a friend and finding them to be not too bad, I got a "you are being hunted" event and got absolutely stomped despite having max level iron gear and healing meds. The event lasted so long I just ran out of stamina and couldn't fight, defend, or run.

Heh. Yep. Find a rock they cant climb or ruins to hide out in. The iron sledge works well if you can channel them so they dont hit you from all sides.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Or if you're near the plains, get between fuling villages and tar pits, that worked out pretty well for me last time

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xenix posted:

one of my greatest valheim experiences was getting hit by a hunted event for the first time and frantically trying to run and block. nearly out of health and stamina, I hear the sound of a golem; the wolves drop off me and aggro the golem instead. i'm saved.

I ended up building a little shrine to that guy. thank you, hero golem.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If your timing is good the atgeir and battleaxe are both good against wolfpacks too,assuming you're on relatively flat ground.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yup, the Atgier let's you just fight through that event, best weapon being the best weapon as usual.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

I really, really wish they'd add new content to the game that's not just in the new biome. :sigh:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Exodor posted:

I really, really wish they'd add new content to the game that's not just in the new biome. :sigh:

I feel like the right time to do that would be after you've got all the base game content and progression down already

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
There will almost certainly be two updates to old biomes between Ashlands and Deep North, like when they added Frost Caves, fishing changes and the Hildir stuff.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

punishedkissinger posted:

they specifically said there will be fifty (50) new build pieces in that blog post

Likely the same as existing shapes, but with Ashlands materials.

Magmarashi posted:

I feel like the right time to do that would be after you've got all the base game content and progression down already

Not really, there would be monumental outrage that endgame biome is in but game not yet released.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hasselblad posted:

Not really, there would be monumental outrage that endgame biome is in but game not yet released.

Tons of games keep releasing content updates that add more and more options after they're "done" and 1.0 status means nothing anymore.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

edit: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Tons of games keep releasing content updates that add more and more options after they're "done" and 1.0 status means nothing anymore.

I legit can't remember the last time I bought a game that wasn't EA