Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Ashlands is even more overtuned than Mistlands was on PTR. Not sure what the devs were smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I haven't tried it but the very first time I went into any biome was pretty scary. I saw a wolf man when I went into the mountain with red eyes!! Auggh run away!!

Same for swamp ghost, gjall and troll. Deathsquito wandering put the fear of the plains in me well before I went into that biome.

Lava, ash storms and fire monsters will likely get the same response out of me

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i remember someone mentioning there is an existing tool to regenerate your world while leaving your homebase intact to allow for new exploration in the new patch. is this still a thing?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

punishedkissinger posted:

i remember someone mentioning there is an existing tool to regenerate your world while leaving your homebase intact to allow for new exploration in the new patch. is this still a thing?

It is, but it was not updated for Ashlands yet

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I took the day off to play the test patch. These are going to be very general observations that don't say anything not already said in the trailer.

As a rule I'd say the new monsters are not necessarily any easier than the mistands monsters and potentially you could call them harder, But they are significantly less annoying and feel significantly less BS.

Working with the new stone analog is kind of finicky and annoying. For some reason there seem to be more connection points than most other stuff it doesn't seem like it has any more of a hide allowance than normal stone and hiding metal beams is imperfect. The options are really cool and I'm sure people will figure out a bunch of really neat stuff to do with it but as of right now getting what I want done with it is very difficult.

I haven't gone very far into the actual Ashland's proper but so far nothing collectible has felt as annoying as the black cores from mistlands.

To be as broad and non-specific as possible, If you found the enemies and the lack of visibility in the mistlands annoying you're probably going to greatly enjoy the new biome. There are still some mobility puzzles but it's much more accessible if you have the right gear and the enemies don't feel nearly as BS, still challenging but they don't really get you in no win situations nearly as often as the bugs.

I think people are going to like this one and the reaction's going to be a lot more uniformly positive than the last one.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

really glad to hear that. between the visibility, the high fantasy elements and the enemies, I liked almost nothing about mistlands except building stuff and the cloak. and the dwarves.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So is all the content in the Ashlands update just late game type stuff? If a peon like me is only just starting the mountains am I going to notice any difference?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Typically with these tier updates. There's been very minor changes to older tiers before though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zodium posted:

really glad to hear that. between the visibility, the high fantasy elements and the enemies, I liked almost nothing about mistlands except building stuff and the cloak. and the dwarves.

You're still gonna be disappointed on the high fantasy side because the entire idea is that Mistlands, Ashlands, and Deep North are escalatingly high fantasy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The bubble shield thing from the trailer looks cool, wish there was something like that for the Mistlands just to blow more of the fog away

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

So is all the content in the Ashlands update just late game type stuff? If a peon like me is only just starting the mountains am I going to notice any difference?

Probably won't notice many changes. Last time they did the mini-update for Hildr which did add more pre-Mistlands content and there may be some small changes but probably not.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Honestly the enemies in Ashlands are pretty fun to fight, they just cranked the spawn nobs too high and their aggro range could probably be toned down a bit too

I like fighting 5+ enemies at once, I really don’t like doing it for like 20 minutes straight

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They do seem to have avoided my two biggest problems with Mistlands repeating

Your mobility being hugely constrained by terrain features

Enemies that can fly out of nowhere and instantly stun lock you when you can't see poo poo. I haven't run into anything yet that's as frustrating as just having a random two star seeker fly out of the mist and smack you in the back.

I only have like two or three hours actually in the biome because I mostly just grabbed a bunch of poo poo and ran home to build, But I never had a single moment I would call a dirty trick or a gently caress you whereas that seemed to happen every 20 to 30 minutes you're out in the open in the mists.

The cool thing about this update being released is it basically future proofs your seeds going forward. The only large biome they are updating is the polar north now so just stay in the bottom 2/3 of the globe and you'll be golden. Yeah they're supposed to be an ocean update as well but I just have a feeling that the lack of terrain will make that much less of an issue.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're still gonna be disappointed on the high fantasy side because the entire idea is that Mistlands, Ashlands, and Deep North are escalatingly high fantasy.

it's not a big deal or anything, just felt kind of jarring getting a wizard staff that summons magic force fields or skeletons after the more norse mythology theme in early game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
An Ocean update should just be adding the windwaker ability to change wind direction at will after unlocking a item after a boss and changing worldgen to be more continents and islands and less long thin channels, or just making the longship oars functional to go against the wind.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I loved the color scheme and the terrain in the Mistlands, as well as the mist itself, but the insect enemies and the D&D wizard stuff, while cool and fun, was definitely a departure from the Viking aesthetic they went with for every other biome.

One of the many reasons why the Black Forest continually comes out way on top of any polls of player-fav biome.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mistlands are beautiful, I just wish you could see it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Black forest is the best biome, aside from just looking really nice, it's the best because of everyone's first encounter with a troll.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
In the Ocean biome update, the reward from the Ashlands will become a drinking horn. You will put one end in the ocean, and Thor will descend from the skies and drink the sea, allowing you to explore a patch of the seabed until he drinks his fill and the ocean comes crashing back, instantly killing you if you’re still there.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hmm .. Thor famously failed to drink the ocean though

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zodium posted:

mistlands are beautiful, I just wish you could see it.

Seriously. Maybe it'd be better with less opacity to the mist? Not sure if that would murder GPUs everywhere though.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

hmm .. Thor famously failed to drink the ocean though

Well yeah, that’s why you only explore a small piece of it at a time, and why it comes rushing back.

Burns
May 10, 2008

With Ashlands I really do think the devs just want to make their own Morrowind. A lot of the austhetic really feels really Morrowindish now. I am not opposed to this.

They can improve Mistlands by simply adding a better Wisp light, something that actually clears a large area. Make it require a black core or whatever but it should be in the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ashlands seems like it's one of those biomes you visit but don't build a new base in, confirm/deny? Maybe a portal hub if you can get it.

Also I'm worried what all the new pieces will do to my forge and galdr table builds! (And what I can do for new ones).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the wisp dispelled like 4x the fog that biome would be way better.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Ashlands seems like it's one of those biomes you visit but don't build a new base in, confirm/deny? Maybe a portal hub if you can get it.

Also I'm worried what all the new pieces will do to my forge and galdr table builds! (And what I can do for new ones).

It's a massive pain in the rear end to get there and back, you definitely want to bring enough supplies to build a strong defensible area. There are also mobs that will very easily destroy a portal through incidental damage.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

will the next patch break existing saves? my family and I have been playing for months. :|

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

tokenbrownguy posted:

will the next patch break existing saves? my family and I have been playing for months. :|

Last time a biome was added, it didn't break saves. Any previously explored Mistlands areas on your map were messed up because the placeholder terrain was already written to the world and wouldn't be overwritten by going back there, but any unexplored Mistlands would populate as intended. I assume it will be the same way with the Ashlands here.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Patch just dropped that fixes cooking stations lighting on fire and some of the aggro issues when landing. Apparently even the sound of trees lighting on fire was drawing mobs the way chopping them down was supposed to.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Those are welcome changes. I wont play it till it goes live but i am already thinking of ways of getting there without the new ship.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Patch just dropped that fixes cooking stations lighting on fire and some of the aggro issues when landing. Apparently even the sound of trees lighting on fire was drawing mobs the way chopping them down was supposed to.

well, this explains why there were infinite horrible monsters continuously coming for me even after I destroyed the nearby spawner.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

any speculation on when the ashlands update is gonna become part of the release? sorta waiting it out while chipping away at mistlands stuff that I have not done

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Marzzle posted:

any speculation on when the ashlands update is gonna become part of the release? sorta waiting it out while chipping away at mistlands stuff that I have not done

Mistlands was 2 weeks iirc.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I understand they're not going to be updated for Ashlands but am I missing something, I can't seem to find a regular like "auto sort inventories" mod. I feel like I had one originally not long after starting playing but I play so many survival crafter games it all blurs together.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I stopped playing after the patch that added tar and a hottub, so there is some catching up to do. I ventured into Mistlands and got my rear end handed to me, but I managed to get into a dungeon and run away with some crafting materials. Do I need to grind on Mistlands stuff or can I try Ashlands with my old gear (padded armor and black metal gear?)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Everything in Valheim is designed around doing biomes sequentially. I’m not playing the beta servers, but I can promise you that you’ll need to beat Mistlands to do Ashlands.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I stopped playing after the patch that added tar and a hottub, so there is some catching up to do. I ventured into Mistlands and got my rear end handed to me, but I managed to get into a dungeon and run away with some crafting materials. Do I need to grind on Mistlands stuff or can I try Ashlands with my old gear (padded armor and black metal gear?)

Unless there's some way i haven't figured out you can't get to the Ashlands without killing the Mistlands boss.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

new boat is unbelievably huge. my dock that fits two longboats and a pier is barely wide enough, and neither tall nor deep enough.

seems almost impossible to get established in ashlands. I'm a pretty solid fighter, but I basically ended up fighting for a straight game day until some dark angel got me. killing the nearby spawner didn't seem to stop the endless onslaught of mobs at all and I have no idea where they keep coming from. think I need to test different landing sites.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Think of spawners as just another npc thst poops out new npcs. Black forest will continue to spawn greydwarfs regardless of whether or not theres a spawner nearby.

I am glad that it is possible to sequence break because it can be a lot of fun to do. I fought Yagluth with Mistlands magic gear because i found a mine outside the mist and got lucky with a giant skull. I think it MAY be possible to get to Ashlands without bearing the mistland boss.

Burns fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

this is like if black forest had an unkillable greydwarf nest every 100 feet, and they all kept converging on you. but there's a big castle with an energy beam where i landed so i'm thinking i should have scouted more.