Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wallrod posted:

i'm still a bit unsure about some of the weapon stats for example.

Like what? I didn't really see anything weird about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

NuckmasterJ posted:

if you want to move something you've built you can destroy the item and get all the crafting materials refunded.

This hasn’t been the case for me, like sure it doesnt matter for things that cost wood, but we dismantled a craft bench upgrade cause someone placed it poorly and had to spend 20 min getting flint/hide/leather to rebuild it

Its made people in my server pretty paranoid about dismantling anything especially now that we’ve gotten into bronze stuff and it takes forever to smelt

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fellis posted:

This hasn’t been the case for me, like sure it doesnt matter for things that cost wood, but we dismantled a craft bench upgrade cause someone placed it poorly and had to spend 20 min getting flint/hide/leather to rebuild it

Its made people in my server pretty paranoid about dismantling anything especially now that we’ve gotten into bronze stuff and it takes forever to smelt

You definitely get 100% of your materials back. I have moved our forge around the base to build mead barrels, for example. Sometimes it can feel like you're not getting everything back but the answer is almost always that the stuff is stuck under a [thing] somewhere. Our Karve flipped itself over today for some reason while we weren't around and we could even still get everything back with some creative Dutch technique and free-diving.

NuckmasterJ posted:

*EDIT Question; I built a new larger base, its flat roofed with support beams to hold up the roof. I made a bunch of half wall windows to you know, make it plesent. Well I just had a rain storm and now my entire structure is at half health. Is it because the windows? Or does wood have to be protected by actual "Roof" materials?

Nailed it in two. Unlike most games "Floor" is not equal to "Roof".

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fellis posted:

Guess someone might have vacuumed up something and not noticed, because I have gotten 100% of my resources back every time I have dismantled something.

Good thing too, because my boat decided to do a 180 while docked and destroyed itself.

Edit: Decided to set sail straight out into the ocean for once. Landed on some sort of plains area, got stung by a mosquito and died.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 12, 2021

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Do those small islands out in the oceans hold anything of value?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Decided to set sail straight out into the ocean for once. Landed on some sort of plains area, got stung by a mosquito and died.

Sounds about the same experience we had with reaching Plains for the first time.

Currently we've pretty much managed to gather enough iron to make decent gear for 3 people and we're about to set hunting for the 3rd boss. Our server is ran by one friend, and in retrospect renting one might've been wise, but on the other hand if we want to solo we don't have to exhaust the resources on our joint world.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I dunno if something is fucky with lag then cause it’s happened at least 3-4 times with big things and 4+ people in the server. Last time it was our forge bench and it was a big pain to wait for the copper again. We definitely looked around and asked everyone if they snagged it.

Like most stuff has refunded everything (I thought that some 2-wood floors only gave 1 back), but I noticed that I always got queen bees back and some other rare stuff, figured complete refunds were only on rare things.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I've also lost valuable mats when disassembling stuff, even after checking and double checking the area & people's inventories. One time I disassembled a smelter and got back 1 Surtling core, a friend who was nearby got another 1 of the Surtling cores, and the other 3 just vanished. :confused:

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Yeah I think something has changed with regards to refunding stuff, did some testing yesterday and dismantling a portal only returned 1 core and 1 fine wood - dismantling a work bench still returned 10 normal wood though

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
When I first crafted my bronze spear I threw it at some jerks attacking my base at night and for some reason I couldn't find it until 2 in game days later. I swear it was absolutely nowhere, and it really cheesed me off because I threw my stupid flint spear a zillion times and it never got lost. Eventually found it sparking in the night, exactly where I had been looking and running back and forth.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Had a portal get destroyed by a troll about 2 hours ago, and it gave me back everything so I could just immediately put it back up, so I don't know what's going on here.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
The recent patch notes include this:

Remove structure resource dupe bug fix

Which suggests there was a way to dupe materials when removing structures? Possibly the fix is causing the weirdness then.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

VietCampo posted:

Those small islands may not actually be islands.
Specifically

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My group had our first ocean adventure yesterday. 3 of us piled in our Karve and fairly uneventfully sailed off towards the island the game says boss #2 is at. Our goal was to build a small outpost on this island and maybe do some scouting.

We set foot on land at the edge of the black forest and start chopping some trees. Then my friend yells "WTF IS THAT" as leeches and poo poo start coming from seemingly every direction. We all start frantically fighting, I get killed by slimes while our boat is wailed on by random things.

"GET YOUR poo poo WE'RE OUTTA HERE" was called out in chat, my friends grabbed the gear off my body and back home they went. Next time we plan to have all the base materials in the boat ready to go.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

That would be the swamp, way tougher than Black Forest, especially without bronze armor and poison potions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

OgNar posted:

Those small islands may not actually be islands.
Specifically

jesus christ you need to eat another bite. three more bites! you're totally nude and biteless!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Picked up this game today to try out this weekend. Looks fun!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

VietCampo posted:

I found some minable barnacles on one of them. Not sure what they do.

E:

Seems like monsters don't really "exist" where players are not present. We've built multiple bases and none of them have been obviously attacked while we were out. This includes one near the mountains with a gate just sitting out there in the open.

Probably a good way to handle it.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 12, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Managed to play a few hours last night with the spouse, the game is cool and chill and we killed the first boss but it looked like only I got credit either because I got the loot or the killing blow? But only I had stuff flash up on screen. I didn't turn in the trophy yet though because I'm not sure if we should kill the boss again so we both turn it in or if I do that and everyone gets credit.

Does resource gathering improve? Like I'm fine with the next tier of stuff being a chore to earn, but after an hour of wandering shorelines looking for flint I'm kind of over it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

because I got the loot or the killing blow?

Loot is 100% sharable and things are unlocked by picking up items.

So drop the loot, have your wife pick it up, whatever it is, and she will unlock everything you do.

As for resources, most of them become renewable or location-specific. Flint and tin are the two you kind of just have to wander around looking for. You'll eventually be able to plant trees and fell them, and find big ore deposits as you explore.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Can we talk server stuff for a minute? I hosted a game that 7 of us were playing on last night and some of them were getting lag or deer rubber banding. Is my PC actually hosting it? My gigabit upload is only 35mbit, so is that why? I have a Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM, 3080. Obviously when I left they were booted and they can't play unless I am. One guy has actual fiber so I wonder if there's a way to transfer it to him.

I also just read that there is a dedicated server option that would remain on, but you have to subscribe to some service. Can't imagine a lot of people are doing that, but it seems like the best thing.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Midgetskydiver posted:

Loot is 100% sharable and things are unlocked by picking up items.

So drop the loot, have your wife pick it up, whatever it is, and she will unlock everything you do.

As for resources, most of them become renewable or location-specific. Flint and tin are the two you kind of just have to wander around looking for. You'll eventually be able to plant trees and fell them, and find big ore deposits as you explore.

Are there larger tin deposits in the world, or is it limited to those tiny bloops in a few small locations?

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Tin deposits spawn along coasts and riverbanks in the black forest areas, if you search the shores you can usually find loads of it. At least until you've taken it all and have to go on longer and longer trips.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Can we talk server stuff for a minute? I hosted a game that 7 of us were playing on last night and some of them were getting lag or deer rubber banding. Is my PC actually hosting it? My gigabit upload is only 35mbit, so is that why? I have a Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM, 3080. Obviously when I left they were booted and they can't play unless I am. One guy has actual fiber so I wonder if there's a way to transfer it to him.

I also just read that there is a dedicated server option that would remain on, but you have to subscribe to some service. Can't imagine a lot of people are doing that, but it seems like the best thing.

We are renting a server and find that any more than 5 people in an area is just lag town.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, the raven implied that I need to start digging down for new resources but when I get a couple feet down I just got water?

Also, I met a large fellow in the black woods and got him down to a sliver of health, I was feeling cheeky so I pulled out my knife for a coup de grace and he turned me in to mist.

It's so far away from camp!!!!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Midgetskydiver posted:

I found some minable barnacles on one of them. Not sure what they do.

If you get enough you can make a harpoon, drag the sea serpent back to shore and kill it to get its scales and to make a nice tower shield.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

I believe if you don't run a dedicated server it is peer to peer, so you will want whoever has the best upload hosting the session.

You can also host your own dedicated server very easily as long as you don't mind starting it up when people want to play or keeping it running.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, the raven implied that I need to start digging down for new resources but when I get a couple feet down I just got water?

Also, I met a large fellow in the black woods and got him down to a sliver of health, I was feeling cheeky so I pulled out my knife for a coup de grace and he turned me in to mist.

It's so far away from camp!!!!

I'm not sure where you are digging, but I think he was trying to give you hints that the Copper despoits are not just the surface bloops. If you dig down around them you can find big rear end chunks under the dirt and rocks. You'll need to build open pit mines to get it all.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Stagbreaker might not be a good weapon, but drat if it isn't funny to use.

Also, tin being non-renewable isn't such a big deal, since it's everywhere and you get 4-5 from each node. I have a much harder time finding enough copper.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

The Stagbreaker might not be a good weapon, but drat if it isn't funny to use.

Also, tin being non-renewable isn't such a big deal, since it's everywhere and you get 4-5 from each node. I have a much harder time finding enough copper.

Have you dug down under where the copper was located? I've started finding huge secondary copper deposits that go into the ground.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, those copper rocks go deep.

This is a bit after I started, once I made a dedicated shelter for a bed/workbench.

And this is where I'm at now, and I'm still finding more copper as I peel the hillside away and dig further down.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 12, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

NuckmasterJ posted:

Have you dug down under where the copper was located? I've started finding huge secondary copper deposits that go into the ground.

Honestly, it's not as much a problem with supply as it is with taking a long-rear end time to mine out. Not to mention that you need 2 copper for each 1 tin for a bar of bronze.
I usually just mark every node I run past if I explore in a black forest biome, and return for them later.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, it's not as much a problem with supply as it is with taking a long-rear end time to mine out. Not to mention that you need 2 copper for each 1 tin for a bar of bronze.
I usually just mark every node I run past if I explore in a black forest biome, and return for them later.

Hmm, are you using a Copper Pickaxe with upgrades? I'm seeing 3 to 5 hits to break apart a chunk of copper with my lvl 2 Copper Pickaxe. I agree its still slow, however its significantly faster then the antler pickaxe.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

I set my own dedicated up. Its not too much of a big deal, then its always up if someone in the group wants to hop in. Resource wise it uses 1-3gb of ram and a very small amount of cpu.

https://survivalservers.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Create_a_Valheim_Server_Guide
Option 2.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

So we noticed that if you're personally hosting a game and it's NOT a dedicated server that causes issues when you have a large number of players in a single area. We had noticeable lag with 7+ people fighting a troll. No lag noticeable with smaller numbers of people.

This happened without the client/server taxing the connection, CPU, or HDD so it suggests it's a limitation somewhere in the code. We've found the same with other games (notable example being Terraria).

We tried the same situation with a dedicated server and no issues. The only time we've had lag are when we cut down about 60 trees in 3 minutes and let them all roll around.

I've had a dedicated server hosted on my machine alongside a playing client. The dedicated server uses about 2% CPU on an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and between 2-3GB of memory. We typically have 5-6 active in an evening.

From what I've heard any servers you pay for from a major company are trash, so don't expect good performance from them.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

What's the trick or hint for finding Surtling Cores? My group and I stumbled into the only cave we've found so far, only for there to be a giant troll and a dead end tunnel.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Fellis posted:

I ran into this glitch myself, it was with the tanning rack.

I had it located in a weird spot, so I wasn't sure if it was a case of it being unable to find a place to spawn the items so it just... didn't, or if it's just an issue with the tanning rack in specific.

I know I've gotten 100% of my mats back from breaking a tanning rack in the past, was a bit confused why that one time did not.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

mkvltra posted:

What's the trick or hint for finding Surtling Cores? My group and I stumbled into the only cave we've found so far, only for there to be a giant troll and a dead end tunnel.

I've pretty much only found them in Burial Mounds. If you run around Black Forest and find some skeletons that are not hanging out in a ruined tower, chances are there is a mound nearby.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Power Walrus posted:

Playing on a rented server with a couple of friends is the way to go, if you can swing it. The game is really pretty, it doesn’t quite translate in screenshots, but there’s a lot of really nice animation and effects.

My brother and I were talking about how the style has a very Breath of The Wild feel; it's not low rez, but it's definitely more about a sort of big ephemeral style over photorealism, which is nice.

Also that enemies poof out of existence and drop hamhocks and whatnot to grill over the fire.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Orange/Blue color gradients you get all the time sure are purdy to look at