Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I finally unlocked masonry and decided to bulldoze my old place and start working on my fancy forever home. Basically wearing nothing but my belt and putting everything else in chests off to the side.

Of course this is when the game decides to just send 35 mobs basically in a procession to gently caress with me all night. Bastards. They killed my carrots. Sweaty rear end Viking smacking them on the back of the head with a bronze battle ax and they're attacking the root vegetables.

Best thing about stone ruins is you can excavate the foundation and get buccu stone.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just keep the ingredients for a portal with me. That way the only thing I really have to carry back are the actual iron ingots. I think I should be able to have all of the stone work I'm planning on done by the end of the night today.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got a barle farm going before I got siver ore #1. Lucked into a chest and set up a quick wall around a plot in the plains. Hopefully I do the same with some linen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm tempted to turn this on because I'm about to start exploring the mountains and it seems like a good idea to not prevent all the caves from spawning.

Those of you who have been using the test versions up till now, is stability generally a pressing issue or is it usually not a huge problem?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think tonight I'm going to rebuild my house for the... Third time?

I think it's the third.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

Are you really tied to the location for some reason? I would just find a new place whenever I felt like I outgrew my base.

Also do you have pictures of each rebuild for comparison?

I found a peninsula that was perfect and basically used a combination of stone and terrain to raise a large platform I can build off of. It's situated just about perfectly.

My planned rebuild is more of a cosmetic thing than a functional thing. Like probably everybody who has an opinion and plays valheim I'm not happy with my roof

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 18, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Q=/= E

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 18, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The new component for the new armor is a real bitch. Think Surtling cores in black forest but you get maybe 10-12 a cave and you need like 150.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hasselblad posted:

Request shot of it in daylight.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize that was a new feature, it's how I made my door:

... Look, is it a bit yonic? Sure. Being a dead Viking is lonely, alright?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're talking about from the new patch it gives you a 10% speed boost ( ie faster than being naked), fire resist and a boost to unarmed. It maxes out at 52 with a cape. I basically wear it whenever I'm not planning on picking a fight with a boss or a bunch of plains critters.

It's a bit of a risk in the plains but it's more than enough anywhere else.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 21, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth I 100% recommend signing up for the test patch. I have had exactly zero stability issues. Every once in a while there's a bit of slow down when there's a blizzard in the mountains and the drakes are shooting at you, but I couldn't tell you for sure whether that existed before the patch. Other than that it's been stable as a rock.

This is probably the least buggy early access game I've ever played. I couldn't tell you I've noticed a single thing that was definitely a bug.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I flattened the area around my base a good amount, trying to get the loving trolls to stop spawning, I wouldn't say the slowdown is noticeable, although I would say in general the game doesn't perform as well as I would expect it to considering the graphical fidelity.

I want to be clear and say trying to get the trolls to stop spawning didn't work. I think that's going to be my project for tonight.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 21, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is lox riding completely worthless?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've become a hoarder. Been getting ready for mistlands and I have more sausages and lox pies than a doomsday pepper.

I just know there's going to be exactly one item from the old regions that's going to be essential to everything and I'll have like five of it. There's no way anybody has more chains than they want, those loving wraiths never spawn for me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's weird because I could swear that I had gotten some at some point from the stuff you dig out for iron, but as far as I can tell that can't happen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought Bonemass wasn't so bad. Honestly I find Lox more annoying than any valheim boss.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only part that got a little bit hairy for me for bone mass is I started drawing mobs towards the end of it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lol.

I did cheese the mordar fight by digging a pit near her shrine but that was just because I heard it was an extremely tedious fight whether you do it straight or not.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Release date plz.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would appreciate something even as basic as 0-3, 3-6 months etc.

If it's coming soon I'd like to know, there's a few things I'd like to stock up on if it's pending.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pro-tip: You can mark explored crypts and caves by building roasting spits without having to build a crafting tables. They're the perfect size to block off a doorway and critters don't break them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I misread the tweet saying that mistlands video would be released and thought they were releasing the actual content.

:smith:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah I don't mind hazarding a few bugs.

Edit: I read the patch notes and it's basically my own personal wish list this loving rules.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 22, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's a bunch of new items in the building patch list that are absolutely amazing

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My buddy is going to wait for "the bugs to work out"

Man

The bugs have been working out. They wrecked me like 4 times last night.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I found the ingredients to at least know what most of the new recipes do and they aren't nearly as much of an upgrade as I thought they might be.

They are definitely better, But I don't think anybody's going to be getting rid of their bread, some of the new stuff can be farmed but most of it can't.

Oh, You're going to want to make sure that you have plenty of gold if you are putting the update in an existing save. One of the new items is almost double the cost of any previous item.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Why does this guy Care so much about having to sail to such an easy fi- oh 'surrounded by plains' rip"

I keep my loxx heard down to two adults because I'll be damned if those guys don't breed like rabbits. That's gigantic mass of loxx gives me anxiety, I'm surprised you can keep them fed well enough.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh man y'all, All I can tell you is I hope you haven't been throwing away your trophies

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I literally had just discovered a dungeon in the mistlands when it became time to head out for Thanksgiving. It'll be there when I get back I suppose.

Edit: No cores. :smith:

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 25, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jusupov posted:

Where can you plant the new mushrooms? Can't cultivate mistland and it doesn't want to grow elsewhere

edit: nvm went to a different area in the mistlands and could cultivate there

Yeah there is area where there's no grass and you can't grow them there.

It's worth noting you don't need nearly as much room as you did for grain. I'm getting by just fine with space to plant about 30 of the little suckers.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I spent the day fixing my lox pasture and now they don't bone. I guess I gave them too much space

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you dial in your counters the combat is not hard.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the cave outfit You get for the mountains is key to enjoying the mistlands. I can outrun any fight if I want to.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 29, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is going to have a different experience in the mistlands but the way I've made it work is by wearing the Ninja garb 99% of the time and having the equipment for a crafting bench and a portal in my back pocket.

When I find something that needs to have a fight I just build a quick portal and go back home and put on the real armor. The new cape loving rules and I will never take it off voluntarily.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think they're probably going to have to revisit the fishing mechanic in particular. It doesn't make any sense the way it is currently constructed. The resources that are required to make the special bait are in some cases among the most difficult and obscure resources to get in the entire game and there basically isn't any reward.

Only one new fish is used in a recipe and the recipe isn't really practical. It's a nominal upgrade over existing stamina foods but It's not significantly better than the other stuff and the other stuff is way way way easier to get. Meanwhile the existing top tier recipe that uses fish meat is pretty much made obsolete by much easier and better recipes. I will probably make a few of the new stamina recipe just for fighting the new boss but I don't really see myself ever using it otherwise.

At this point the other fish are basically just wall decorations. They either need to make them a component in potions or food or find some other mechanic. My guess is for the next major expansion there's going to be a higher tier of food that a bunch of them are required for.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

I had a tuna jump onto my karve as I was headed to the elder. It was stuck for a bit but I couldn't pick it up or hit it at all. Bummer

This is a known bug that they are actively working to fix.

It's basically the only bug that I've run into from this update which is particularly impressive. Kind of gives me the impression that they could open up public testing a lot sooner if they wanted to and they see it more as a hype thing than a bug identification thing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was an update to the test patch that included yule decoration poo poo and, I don't know if this is a bug or a coincidence or a balance update or what - Right after I downloaded it I ran into a one-star seeker.

No big deal I've killed a million of these I'll just squish it and move on.

Except every time it hit me it gave me like 5 m of knock back and stunned me even if I was parrying or blocking. This kills me and sets me off on a failure Cascade where I must have died like 13 times and used up half of my good food.

I really hope this was just a bug and isn't how they actually intend those critters to perform, because the way it was it was literally impossible for a melee build to kill him. I eventually sent one of my dudes naked into the mists to lure the little fucker away from all of my tombstones with gear going all the way back to swamp level stuff from my various failed attempts. On my last attempt I had decided that I was just going to go ahead and uninstall the game if I died again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

This all the way. If fish are supposed to do anything in your game then give me a buildable fish trap or gill net so I go do fun things while I fish.

Well if that's how you feel about fishing in this game good news. The new iteration of fishing feels basically completely disconnected from the meaningful parts of the game.