Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Knock it off with your tone-policing nonsense, I'm sick of gamers thinking developers are being lazy and greedy when they aren't pumping out content at a pace satisfactory to people so out of loving touch with the actual workings of the industry they constantly patronize and bitch about. This is a real issue with people underestimating the cost of labor to a hazardous degree, not some slapfight about maturity.

Wel, I've been a software developer for over a decade, and in my opinion, in the YOOL 2022, failure to regularly push updates to your product strongly hints at gross lack of discipline and professionalism. I don't expect an indie studio to churn out huge content patches every single week, but I think it's also totally normal to expect new content like, once a month. Lots of small studios do indeed manage that. Hell, single-dev operations manage that. For example, here's the version history of Rimworld, which was developed by one dude: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Category:Version

Alpha 2: Feb 26th 2014: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Version/0.2.363
Alpha 3: Apr 10th 2014: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Version/0.3.410
Alpha 4: June 1st, 2014: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Version/0.4.460

The guy was pushing out enormous amounts of content frequently, thereby keeping his playerbase busy and growing.

Similarly, look at Factorio's early version history, where they went balls-to-the-wall until they completed the core game content: https://wiki.factorio.com/Roadmap/History

quote:

Factorio 0.11 (October 31st 2014)
Factorio 0.10 (June 6th 2014)
Factorio 0.9 (February 14th 2014)
Factorio 0.8 (December 6th 2013)
Factorio 0.7 (September 27th 2013)
Factorio 0.6 (July 26th 2013)
Factorio 0.5 (June 7th 2013)
Factorio 0.4 (May 3rd 2013)

So yeah, if you actually take your product seriously, and take your customers seriously, and have good pipelines and processes, you can definitely develop massive amounts of new content within a matter of weeks.

That's not to say that Valheim is a bad game, but the devs do give a strong impression that they're basically phoning it in at this point. It is possible to like the game, and also to feel bitter about squandered opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cool, we care about different things.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nordick posted:

I've found that my best defense against an invasion wrecking my place, is to make a loving beeline out the gate the moment it starts, and fighting the enemy outside my walls. Monsters won't break my stuff when they're busy chasing me.

This has never worked for me. Some mobs inevitably get stuck amongst various base buildings (especially fences) and proceed to start wrecking them. Or they aggro livestock.

The only thing that has worked for me is to dig a deep trench around the entire perimeter, and leave a single entrance as a chokepoint. Then you can fight everything there (and the trolls will helpfully clubber their own allies and knock them into the trench while trying to attack you - helps even the numbers).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

If you are cheesing stuff you aren't very good tbh. The game isn't that hard when played normally.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

lol

Over a year later and virtually no new content

Yeah, it's pretty crazy if you think about it. It's almost as if the devs want to make really, really sure that the overwhelming majority of their player base has lost interest and moved on to other games before they release new content. It's bewildering, frankly. It's almost as if they haven't heard the phrase "strike while the iron is hot."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I feel like fish are quite broken...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I kind of soured on island bases because I inevitably run out of space after a while and raising ground to make more room takes a ton of time. I still try to build on peninsulas but frankly the main priority for me these days is proximity to as many different biomes as possible so as to minimize the time it takes to gather various resources later in the game. The most fun base I had was actually at the intersection of black forest, swamp and plains, and I would regularly sit at the top of my castle's observation tower and watch epic battles between greydwarves, trolls, draugr, skeletons and fulings.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

On a separate note, I wish we could transmute metals in this game. Maybe an alchemy station that lets you convert higher tier metals into lower tier ones, and upgrading it gives you more options. The conversion rate can be low enough such that transmuting at scale wouldn't make sense, but it would really help in situations where you're in the silver age and need to craft something that takes one or two bronze or whatever, and all you have is iron and silver.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

personally against removing portal restrictions/making travel in general more effortless. Me and the lads love creating checkpoints out in the woods, flattening terrain and making slopes for wagons, and creating docks and bridges in order to transport ore and tons of material from increasingly distant locations. A good, proper wagon train of like 5 people, or a fleet of small boats crossing the ocean with the ore, is really fun. And it gives those people who want to just relax and build something to do other than work on their 10000th longhouse or boss killing platform.

I really like the involved effort it takes to be really loaded with materials. Sure it's a little tedious but I feel like that gets mitigated a lot when you're making stops at structures you've built along roads and routes you've created to wait out a night. It's hard to explain but building up infrastructure and actually using it is so satisfying. It's also led to a lot of tense situations like attempting to take on challenges like bosses and exploration into new territory without drowning in all of the best gear with easy replacements back at home.

Even if it's a disable-able option in the game files somewhere, I still wouldn't want it, as it would still influence the team's future design decisions away from the slow, deliberate dedicated task setup they have now. Not against people modding in free unlimited restriction portals or whatever of course lol

It's worth noting that the multiplayer experience in this game is significantly different than singleplayer in many respects, and substantially easier in general. The division of labor makes progression way faster; you can send different people to different biomes, or give them different tasks in the same biome, or assign people to different tasks in the base. Two of you can clear out a swamp dungeon while the others prepare a nice path outside for the cart to smoothly roll back to the ship. Several people can quickly dig out a silver vein while one person takes care of any wolves or drakes that approach. One person can focus on making sure the smelters are running at all times while another handles farming and cooking. And so on.

Now imagine having to do all of those things yourself. Sure, you may need fewer resources and a smaller base, but you still need to make all the trips on your own, gather everything on your own, and carry it back on your own. Building robust infrastructure doesn't make sense when it's just you, because the entire point of infrastructure is that it should scale. Just like a public transportation system used by just one person wouldn't make sense, establishing a road network with cabins along the way doesn't make sense when it's just you using them once in a blue moon. Not only that, but activities that you might delegate to others in multiplayer because you don't find them fun have to be done by you in singleplayer, and that can quickly cause burnout.

Which is why things like whether metals can be taken through portals should be game settings. There should also be sliders that control how much resources stuff requires to build/craft (like a global multiplier between 0.25x to 1x), how strong and fast and numerous the mobs are, how fast ships and carts travel, and many other things. There's no reason for the devs to impose their own ideas of how the game should be experienced and played — they can just balance everything according to the default settings, and let players tweak them to their liking.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 28, 2022

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not a single infested mine in the entire ML continent. The terrain generation algo is either buggy, or the spawn rate for the dungeons suck.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Since visibility is so poor in Mistlands, I find myself relying on sound way more to stay safe. Seekers are fairly easy to detect from a distance if you stop at regular intervals and listen to your surroundings, especially once you get used to the footsteps of hares walking around.

That said, they really need to make wisplight upgradeable, with higher levels giving a better visibility radius.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I think I'm done too. Even with a spare wisplight, the lack of visibility and terrible terrain make it extremely tedious and difficult to recover your corpse, because unless you get super lucky you're very likely to aggro something that will easily chase you down (or up, if it's a seeker!) and kill you. I managed to get to my corpose once, then before I could put on my gear a gjall that was flying nearby aggroed me and I died again while trying to run away.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Some people, especially those that play with friends, probably don't want to see the biome made any easier.

That's funny because the three people I was playing with gave up and quit after we arrived at mistlands and started dying over and over and corpse recoveries became impossible due to low visibility and terrible terrain and the mobs that relentlessly pursue you through said terrain.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Pretty much all of the complaints articulated in the thread can be addressed with some basic preparation. "I lost my wisp light this biome sucks" is not really a valid position because wisp lights are basically free and there's no reason not to have a few backups. This is the seventh biome and if you haven't learned how to make preparations in case of a death then I hope the devs don't cater to your opinion.

I think this is a pretty dumb thing to say. I have 500 hours in this game and I think I know how to play well? The issues described by various posters aren't about basic preparation at all. Because, for example, regardless of whether you have a wisplight, you can't see further than 20 feet most of the time and can easily aggro a pack of mobs that can gently caress you up. And if you decide to bail, you're likely to run into a dead end and get hosed, or find yourself in the arms of another pack.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

"This is too hard" and "no it's not" are equally valid.

Like, the issue isn't actually the biome's difficulty per se. The transition from black forest to swamp was a much bigger spike in difficulty than the one from plains to mistlands. In the swamps you have to worry about draughr (which can cut through even upgraded bronze armor like cake), leeches that can gently caress you up if you stay in the puddles for too long, oozes that can poison you, ghosts that descend on you from above at night, abominations that can pop out of the ground... and there's creature spawners all over! The difference is that if you play carefully, you can avoid most of these threats, or at least retreat if a situation gets hairy. Mistlands is simply annoying as hell.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Keeping biomes relevant imho is a Good Thing.

I think even the devs might be moving away from this outdated mindset, considering Mistlands has farmable iron and copper, and since fuslings start roaming every biome once you kill Yagluth, black metal stops being an issue as well. The only metals you still need to visit previous biomes for are silver and tin.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyway, I hope there is a Hearth & Home v2.0 soon that focuses on base building more. Specifically, I think there should be some gameplay benefits to building with more advanced materials like darkwood and black marble, and upgrading your roof from thatch to tile and so on.

Comfort is a super useful mechanic, so maybe they can expand it whereby being in a base built out of stronger materials gives "enhanced comfort" with better bonuses or something.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think the game should give you practical reasons for building bases in different biomes. It would be cool, for example, if the bonuses you get from comfort increased as you built additional bases. A meadows base could provide a basic bonus to stamina regen, then adding a black forest base could add health regen boost, and so on. That way you aren't just farming the bare minimum materials and defeating mobs and bosses to advance, but are encouraged to actually conquerthe biome by building a permanent presence there.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They should buff up and add variety to existing biomes before adding a new one IMHO.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd like to see bears (ursa) in the black forest, and maybe a stronger version in the mountain biome. Bear capes could be a heavy armor version of the regular capes: higher armor value, but with a small movement penalty. And of course, bear rugs!

Ocean biome could also use some love. Sirens, harpies, etc.

Mainly though, each biome could use more points of interest. You spend so much of the game running that it gets boring once you get used to the pretty vistas.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So when’s the next continent or whatever getting added

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

Bronze is a gigantic pain in the rear end to make, I like just making the axe then using that exclusively. Make a good bow and use that for killing trolls

Yeah, use a bow if you want to spend an hour killing a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Still no Ashlands huh? How long has it been now? What a joke.