Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got some copper deposits solo, but things feel like they're slowing down enough that I'll probably stop there solo, and then see if either multiple friends pick it up or some small goon dedicated servers start popping up. Seems like a game best suited to having a dedicated for a handful of people to do small poo poo separately/small groups and then get the band together for stuff like bosses.

Also when making my way to something with the cart, leveling out a path in front of me helped a good bit on the return trip.

If I decide to keep trucking along solo I'll probably cave and do the second world "trick" to portaling back goods eventually.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
About how resource intensive is running a dedicated server?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Does this look like it's got legs, or is it another meme game that'll die out and be forgotten soon?

Like I'm sure like every game in its vein it will decline a little after the initial hype but the base core of it feels really good. It's fairly polished and nowhere near as buggy as I'd expect from the usual red flags of "company's debut open world game." Progression takes a good deal of time and it's not something you can rush really. Like everyone here seems to be talking about doing stuff in the swamp when in progression/difficulty terms it's just the 3rd of 5 currently populated biomes, out of a planned 8 I think? (Excluding the ocean).

My plan right now really is to play it off and on this month until MHRise comes out, which will suck away all my free time probably for a few months and then see how their whole roadmap thing is actually progressing.

First week sales have been insanely good so at the very least they should have the resources to work with.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So this evening I finished my journey to sail around my starting island.

The watchtower at the north is an abandoned stone tower that was on the southern tip of the bordering island. Built a workbench and fire anywhere I stopped for the (in-game) night to repair my tools.

Lost a day because it stormed the whole time and going anywhere on my boat wasn't happening.

At some points on the horizon the world tree branches in the skybox look like they drop down so low that I'm wondering if it will be possible to reach them.

I love the use of environmental colors in this game so much. It's so much prettier than I had expected after initially just seeing the character models and a couple rainy screenshots.

The 2nd boss spawn is to the south of me so I've confirmed it's not on my starting island. No sign of the merchant yet (and not desperate enough to time him yet to use one of the other seeds).

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 13, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Stagbreaker may not be the best weapon but it is real satisfying mulching up skeletons with it in burial chambers.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Scoss posted:

Is there a limit to how densely you can plant tree seeds, like carrots?

I want my tree farm area to be as tight as possible for maximum domino, but not at the expense of wasting a lot of seeds if there's a limit.

I'm sure other people figured this out too or maybe it's just obvious, but you can bring Fir and Pine seeds back to your safe meadows areas and plant tree farms for those tier 2 woods without having to make trips to the Black Forest.

so badly want this for fine wood

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Have sailed a small chunk north and west looking for swamps. The merchant still eludes me. I started heading east but the first small island I landed on swam away from me so I nope'd back because I don't think I can solo a sea serpent easily before a karve breaks so I'm hesitant to spend too long in open ocean. The south still remains. I'm hoping he's not like way off on the outside of the map.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Patrat posted:

Nine cores, I should not complain, but the sheer level of RNG there is crazy. Also now I need to haul back all of the tin and copper I stockpiled at my mini-base near the dungeon and that stuff is heavy. I wish there was a wheelbarrow or sled or something to let you drag heavy loads when not exploring.

There is indeed a cart you can drag heavy loads in.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Was intent for awhile on finding the merchant in my world without using the 42069lolxd seed but have given in. Have explored a decent radius in all directions, have amassed like 1200 coins + several stacks of gems. Apparently some worlds have had him as far out as like the last ring of islands before the world's edge so kinda done pushing my luck solo for it. I want to fish!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Imo have portal upgrades allow up to two metals below it. Silver upgrade lets you take in copper/tin/bronze, etc. Next upgrade allows iron.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Saxophone posted:

On my giant wishlist for this game is also seed generation customization. I'd love a map that was just massive lakes and rivers and traveling quicker means navigating those because going around would take waaay longer.

Or maybe two massive landmasses with rarer biomes being on islands or something.

Yeah. I love the open ocean but I as far as sailing exploration my favorite moment so far has been navigating my karve down a foggy river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I flattened the area around my base a good amount, trying to get the loving trolls to stop spawning, I wouldn't say the slowdown is noticeable, although I would say in general the game doesn't perform as well as I would expect it to considering the graphical fidelity.

I want to be clear and say trying to get the trolls to stop spawning didn't work. I think that's going to be my project for tonight.

That the terrain among everything else is destructible is probably the biggest part of that. I remember Subnautica initially being planned for terrain changing being possible and had to drop it.