Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm trying to avoid diving in to this game on youtube and ruining all the discovery, but I need to know what the combat is like for this as I am thinking of convincing my wife to get this with me. Posts up above say it's not super hard, so that's good, but are there any mainstream games that it closely compares to? She's decent at games but will not really enjoy super intricate mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Managed to play a few hours last night with the spouse, the game is cool and chill and we killed the first boss but it looked like only I got credit either because I got the loot or the killing blow? But only I had stuff flash up on screen. I didn't turn in the trophy yet though because I'm not sure if we should kill the boss again so we both turn it in or if I do that and everyone gets credit.

Does resource gathering improve? Like I'm fine with the next tier of stuff being a chore to earn, but after an hour of wandering shorelines looking for flint I'm kind of over it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finish this game as a chill build a base and beat bosses game, then in a couple years make Valheim 2 where the pve mode has you raid/conquer a randomly generated "Britain" with a boat full of your best friends. And the pvp version is invading other people's bases.

As the game stands now a pvp focus seems like it would be complete trash but there's an extremely loud population of gamers out there that believe being able to curbstomp other players is the only way to make a game fun so they're not going to be able to dodge it forever, I just hope it doesn't happen to this game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quantum Shart posted:

stop the lovely gamedev opinion goons, more viking raid stories pls

I was whacking on a copper vein in the black forest and a troll walked up, I chopped him twice in the ankles then ran between his legs and off into the distance, somehow lived to tell the tale.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The dedicated server is definitely beta grade. It's chewing up an entire core on my NUC even with no one playing, I just didn't care enough to dig and figure out why.

I also haven't been able to get it to show up in the server list, but I think steam is just bad at handling servers on your own network (I see the query traffic passing through my firewall) so we have to connect by the LAN ip. Which I understand, hitting a public address just to turn around and come back through the firewall is pretty stupid to try.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A completely idle server still uses 1 kbps (1-5 packets a second) just chatting with the valve servers so keep that in mind too!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They just made 40 million dollars gross, they are now a Real Studio and once the shock wears off they're probably going to go on a hiring spree.

Their biggest challenge is rolling out changes before opinion turns on them, this thread alone has developed a good amount of complaints the past few days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leveling is not a problem if you build on stilts. Prep your floorplan with a bunch of the half-heights and boom, your mansion awaits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The snap could be better but it's easy to adapt to, it could be way worse than it is. I've played games with worse so I guess that's something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do kilns and smelters need to be indoors? I had a kiln poof once when it was outdoors and I've built them inside ever since, but now it's limiting the beauty of my base building and I want that stuff outdoors again.

So curious if the kiln disappearing was a weird bug or part of the plan.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ClassH posted:

Does anyone know how long tamed boars can go without eating? We have a dedicated server so didn't know if they are going to be starving to death if nobody gets on for a day.

Forever as far as I know, I habitually ignore them for a day or more and nothing bad has happened. I lob a couple mushrooms in whenever I remember to spawn a new one.

The game seems pretty good about going into 100% pause mode when no one is logged in, no one has ever reported anything bad happening. I've noticed time stops too, when I log in to my private server the time of day and weather is exactly the same as when I left.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FZeroRacer posted:

I'm personally really happy with the light restrictions on base building. It means you have to get creative with how you design homes plus makes them all fit a certain aesthetic design. So I'm hoping they expand on that with the Hearth and Home update.

It's crazy how building a wall around the perimeter of a single craft bench and plopping a house somewhere in it instantly looks like a perfect recreation of a medieval fort. Much smaller obviously but it fits the aesthetic perfectly with almost no effort.

The imperfect terrain modifying tools can be frustrating too but if you just kind of let them do their thing it always ends up looking like an organically grown settlement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Midgetskydiver posted:

That sucks man. I've started making periodic backups of our world to avoid this.

:(

The docker version of the server does auto backups (puts the whole worlds directory into a zip), defaults to 3 days worth every hour.

https://github.com/lloesche/valheim-server-docker

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

First time forming a multiplayer copper mining party with two friends tonight and goddamn them dwarves do not gently caress around with rushing you if you're in a group. I was used to soloing it and just getting a couple blue eyed ones every few minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

Just right click all those things, don't need to be in number slots

You can right click from chests too, which is nice. Top off with a snack before heading out on the road.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do they post patch notes anywhere? Update this morning and it feels like deer have changed, they basically pose for my arrows now.

edit - google wins https://www.dualshockers.com/valheim-update-february-17/

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 17, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

explosivo posted:

If your main base isn't on the shoreline where you can easily dock a boat I would consider moving or at least making a forward outpost where you do your smelting because I have a feeling from here on out moving this stuff by boat is the best option you have.

Our first server, we kind of wandered around the spawn point until we found water and built next to it thinking it would be useful in the future when we made boats. Turns out it was just a pond in a much larger island. :geno:

So now I'm debating whether to pull up stakes and move the main base or just live with a 2-3 minute run every time we want to use a boat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

Taming and breeding feels very much like a placeholder, I hope it gets way more depth to it.

Being able to accidently kill your pet wolf sucks.

Having to shift click stacks of raspberries to split off a single you can throw into a boar pen is pretty bad too.

They need a feeding trough or something, plop in a stack of food and the piggies eat a single whenever they feel like loving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For those that were paying attention: it looks like today's patch also improved the dedicated server, the load average is wayyyy down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vanadium posted:

Does that affect game performance for clients in busy situations, or is that still bottlenecked by p2p netcode or w/e and the change mostly means lower overhead for managed dedicated server providers?

I don't know? :v:

I just know that prior today a completely empty server would gobble up a core doing nothing. They've fixed that so an idle server is actually idle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My server is on a NUC from 2015, i3-5010U cpu with 8GB ram. It does fine with 3 players. Sometimes there's a little lag with combat and picking up items but it's tolerable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

*Cue a hundred youtube videos showing you how to farm running and jumping*

Don't put stairs at the entry of your longhouse so you have to jump to get inside every time!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am a simple viking with a simple house that looks badass because this game is gorgeous.

With a simple outpost near the shore for our upcoming seafaring industry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cleaning up stumps is an annoying chore but you gotta do it. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Game is definitely a day eraser, you'll play for several hours and feel like you've accomplished absolutely nothing but had fun the whole time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

checkplease posted:

If you aren't trying to drop trees on your friends, are you really a viking?

The pro move is to get it balanced in the crook of another tree and play on a viking seesaw.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wilekat posted:

Has anyone documented the "rules" to constructions yet? i can't build roof tiles in the very centre of my bridge and it's annoying the piss out of me. Something about connected object number from the ground? it's... weird.

Yes, they have to be either 5 or 6 pieces away from contact with the ground or it'll collapse. This is why the 4m core wood poles are so useful, they let you get higher with fewer pieces.

The color of a piece you're snapping to will indicate what happens. If it's red, anything you add is gonna break.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope they do something with dungeons and multiplayer. Nothing quite like the poor bastard in front getting his face smashed in by a draugr while his three best friends club him in the back of the head trying to get a hit in. Just have multiplayer versions or something where the halls are three times wider or whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm feeling like a game with no brightness slider should really have a shorter night cycle. Spending half the game unable to see poo poo gets irritating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because in multiplayer people are spread to the four winds and coordinating a bed time is impossible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

lol, select the hammer and middle mouse click to tear down what you built, you reclaim all materials unless the game fucks up, which it does on occasion.

I'm super convinced it's a bug at this point, we were doing a base relocation today and I was tearing down the old forge and workbench and specifically made a point of hitting them with the repair tool before dismantling. Sure enough, didn't get all my copper (and bronze for the upgrade pieces) back. You get the stuff back 99% of the time then just randomly the game is all "nah not today."

Of course we were out of copper so this triggered an emergency mining expedition.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Link the jpg/png, not the imgur post. :ssh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Sorry everyone, I've been hoarding all the crypts

lol get on my level scrub

RNG gonna RNG. :shrug:

(I copied my dedicated server folder to local and loaded it up to cheat and fly around, scout things out to get a feel for the distribution)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, they announced that the next feature update is going to be house building stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Workbench upgrades should grow the circle of influence for that workbench so you don't end up spamming workbenches all over your growing fort. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doh004 posted:

I haven't killed a troll yet, they scare me. How many trolls do you need to kill to upgrade the armor to be worth it over bronze?

Only the first troll is scary, it's funny how routine they become after you've done it a couple times. Just make a bunch of arrows and kite them around, as long as you don't get hit they're easy.

They seem to drop ~5 leather each kill.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

BUILD. AN. OUTPOST.

It's the viking way, head across the waters in search of resources, raid it, then build your own poo poo to live there until the wanderlust takes over again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buller posted:

It took me 30 minutes to sail to the 3rd boss in my world.

Just wait until we have a reason to visit the extreme north or south biomes! Hope you got a couple days to do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Copper didn't bug me at all.

After the pain of creeping around in the forest sneaking up on deer or sprinting around to find boars, getting lots of copper and tin was relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nosre posted:

when you guys say road are you actually doing the paved road with the stonecutter? Or just smoothing out a path? Does the paved road actually increase cart speed?

We're talking smacking the ground with the leveling tool and clearing out any major trees that get in the way. It doesn't make the cart faster but it makes it a lot easier because you can run in straight lines without getting snagged on rocks constantly.

Plus it looks really nice, a dirt path cutting through a meadows forest looks great.