Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just reinstalled this last night and haven't played since last May apparently. I was playing with a friend last year and he was really good and built a massive base and it slowed my computer to a crawl. It always amazed me that a game with such simple (but good) graphics could do that. I got bored and eventually uninstalled.

Fast forward to now. Fresh install, no mods, and it performs like poo poo. Way worse than before with zero structures. Graphics are on lowest settings, I have 32GB of RAM, an SSD, a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with 8GB, and an Intel Core i7-10750H 6 core 5.00 GHz. I should be able to play like 4 instances of this game running at the same time.

This makes zero sense to me. Can someone help me out here? What in god's name is going on? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Burns posted:

Yeah i run the game on a 1070 and dont experience such problems. Verify data of the game and update your drivers.

Already did that. However I ran into this which I'll check out but it's a years old trick I guess.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valheim-increase-fps-performance/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I play exclusively on the Steam deck, and it runs fine. :shrug: That's weird, man. Definitely check your drivers or something.

Also, can't you change the launch options to either use or not use Vulkan? Would that make a difference?

I have no idea what Vulkan is. I guess I can try booting up with that too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Huh. So I started it up using Vulkan and switched everything to max quality and it's just fine. I should look into what this is apparently lol.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

giZm posted:

Cross-platform API and open standard for 3d graphics. Think OpenGL but more modern.

Neat! I haven't knowingly used OpenGL in years I don't think. Last time I remember it I probably had a Voodoo card lol. I don't think the graphics with Vulkan are as good as DirectX but I only ran around for a minute to test the frame rate.

I very much appreciate the help guys.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

giZm posted:

Zero visual difference between the two APIs, apart from maybe performance depending on hardware used.

Excellent. It was probably just the foggy weather during the short test so I couldn't really see anything. I'm excited now! Yay!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

rjmccall posted:

Look, I expect a lot of game for my $200,000 investment

I have some bad news about Star Citizen my friend. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

JosephSkunk posted:

How laggy is it? I switched to host havoc out of curiosity and it's just a tiny bit worse than shockbyte but close enough i never bothered to switch back. How playable is it when multiple players are on screen?

Mine is very very bad for some unknown reason and multiple players makes it unplayable. I asked a few weeks ago in here about it and goons said to use Vulkan at launch and it's like 500% better. Not perfect but MUCH more playable.

quick edit: whoops, you were talking about something else :)