Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Zerilan posted:

About how resource intensive is running a dedicated server?

It's not very resource intensive at all and, like most things in Valheim, works unnervingly well for an early access game. I've been running a dedicated server on the same computer I play on for about a week with up to 8 concurrent players and around 15 total unique players. It hovers around 3 GB memory max and the CPU utilization is negligibly light on a first generation Ryzen. Playing on the same machine I don't notice any performance differences between my server or playing in a non-dedicated co-op instance, meaning performance is basically the same as single player except for very, very occasional wonkiness which resolves spontaneously or after a logout/login.

I followed https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2383801614 to set the server up. There's also an official PDF manual downloaded with the dedicated server from steam. There are also probably better/more updated guides on the Discord. The developers and helpers in the Discord also seem pretty keen on answering questions/keeping pinned stuff up to date.

The only real issues I've had are with friends actually finding and joining the server. The in game server browser is pretty fucky. What I've had my friends do is find my server through the Steam client server browser. If they're friends with me, they can just go through the top menu View -> Servers -> Friends, mine will show up (hopefully), then they can add to favorites or join from there. Sometimes they can join on me or other people in the server through steam's friends list. There are other ways to join if that all doesn't work. It should all be pinned in the Valheim Discord.

You'll also want to make sure you end the dedicated server gracefully (CTRL+C in the server prompt, among other options) and keep backups (.../AppData/LocalLow/IronGate/Valheim) as there have been reports of worlds being wiped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Was enjoying this, then decided to quit for the day. Hit the "Logout" button, and turned to do something else for a few moments leaving the game at the main menu screen, then the power went out briefly due to a storm. Loaded game back up, save game and character were corrupted. Apparently this is a common issue right now with no known fixes. There is an old save backup in your save game directory SOMETIMES, but it lost quite a few hours for me.

Some people have had 50+ hour saves completely wiped out, and not even for sudden power outages, but just ALT-F4'ing the game. The weird thing for me is that I had exited back to the main menu successfully, so why the save game would be prone to corruption at that point is beyond me.

So word to the wise, don't exit the game right now any other way than through the normal menus.

That sucks. I've gotten in the habit of just copy and pasting my locallow/irongate/valheim folder ever few hours in case this happens. If you want to make up the lost hours and remember what skills/items you had, you can use console commands to train up your skills and spawn in the lost items. There's a full guide on steam which includes ids for spawning items.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

Crop Harvesting Pro Tip: The Ategir's spinning secondary attack also functions like a scythe, and will pull up any crop it hits which is usually like 10-12 at a time.

This tempting nugget was sandwiched between so much genuine advice I don't know if you were confused or if this was an evil but cleverly laid trap. Did you trick me? You have to tell me if you tricked me.

(Or did you mean the crops that aren't turnips/carrots?)