Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Where do you find a good deal on a rented server? I've always had a mind to cobble together my own server, but I can't really afford the hardware at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It uses Viking mythology as a theme — and pretty loosely at that. It's like a Saturday morning cartoon representation of Viking culture filtered through lovely metal music.

There aren't really any historical elements present that you could hitch your Volkswagen to.

You can also make your Viking black as night. Which of course isn't a perfect assurance that the devs aren't Nazis. But probably they're not, you know?

Fake Name posted:

I've got one for me and a couple of friends on g-portal - no idea if thats the best value but it was very easy to set up. Definitely more fun if you cam all just pop on at any time and if no one else is around just explore or build up your little town.

Just got done with the 2nd boss and portals are a game changer
Thanks! I'll check it out.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

idiotsavant posted:

Anyone else having issues with dedicated servers? I thought I set everything up properly but I keep getting "server not responding" from Steam, friends also having same issue

I've only been able to connect to my dedicated server locally. I'm starting to suspect that our ISP has put our household on a shared IP, in which this poo poo ain't ever gonna work.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yup! Your characters are stored locally.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Do I get everything back if I dismantle and move a workbench and its upgrades? I really need to move some poo poo around.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Swamps should be swampy, but I really wish Valheim's were just a biiit nicer. All that green haze and darkness gives me a headache.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This was my first house, before I moved to a community server. Kinda miss it.

And this was my second. Ineffective use of space. It's now been converted to a common sleeping quarters and I'm in the process of furnishing it for comfort.

This is my current HQ, close to the main base. I call it the Den of the Hill Jarl. I need to decorate it some more.

Sorry for the screenshot diarrhea!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That's a cool-looking island!

Edit: Neither here nor there: People who fell oaks should be executed, like in the old days.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 18, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Disparate senses of aesthetics is stressful as hell. Until Viking HOAs are enforceable on a server level I'm building a secret base far away from my fellow players' reenactment of the Destruction of Isengard.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I just discovered that for some reason the "dirty lens effect" in Valheim is tied to the bloom.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yup. More types of markers and a way to filter them would be great (and probably in the plans, 'cause it makes an awful lot of sense).

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What's a good ratio for harvesting/replanting carrots?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Man, I really messed up not turning the evil piled-up Draugr village I found into an entrails farm.

On another note, I've seen some screenshots going around featuring an inventory that makes sense (separate equipment slots, etc) — which mod is this, and is it safe to use when playing on a dedicated server?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It would be so nice if the portals were all networked and you could just pick your destination on the map.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 3, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Warning: incoming screenshot diarrhea.

I feel like I'm ready to leave my current base and colonize the other side of the world. It's been a good HQ.

When I found a nice piece of headland I felt like I had to build some kind of mansion there. Nothing too opulent, 'cause I like small and cozy places.

The front of Steadfast Manor.

Behind the throne is a secret door to reach the top of the tower.

To the right you have the dining and storage areas, and a small mead basement.

To the left is the bedroom.

There's a backdoor leading to the outdoor workshop.

Eventually you'll reach the modest turnip fields and a small harbor.

The back of Steadfast.

A rich land, and fairly quiet. Lots of game and very few greydwarves. Except for the one single greyling that keeps spawning in my fields, welcoming me home to destroyed crops and beehives. Killing this fucker never took. So I dug him a pit.

It worked. He's been hanging out there for a while now. Threw him some sausages, but the ungrateful bastard won't eat them. I feel good leaving Steadfast now, knowing its only major nuisance has been taken care of.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 7, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That's just plain evil.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Retrowave Joe posted:

Just wanted you to know that i enjoyed the tour immensely!
Thanks! I enjoy them as well, I love seeing everybody's crib.

Khanstant posted:

omg how did you Greyling zoo keep working? We've built a fence around one before, threw eyes at resin at him since he loves em so much. He disappeared when we came back through portal later >:o
Bummer that your pet greyling got away. I checked just now and the bugger's still in his hole. Maybe because it's a dedicated server? I have no idea. :shrug:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It would be cool if you could use trophies to scare off mobs. Lemme cover my body with greydwarf eyes.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

You can also imprison them, like I did with the lone greydwarf that kept smashing my carrots.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Has anyone messed around with modding meshes and textures? I have some pretty cool model files I'd like to swap in but they load in at crazy sizes and angles. Not sure how to fix the issue.
You'll have to adjust scale and rotation in Blender or something and re-export the model. Or are you saying it looks hosed up even after tweaks?

I'd really like to add more comfort items, like drinking horns, hanging chains and wall rugs.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I want a mod that lets me train drakes to transport goods for me. Imaging having a drake drop off a bunch of iron at your main HQ and then going to roost in the nest made of greydwarf trophies.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm modding in some meshes and textures and have run into a problem. Do any of you guys have a good understanding of the different texture formats and how they interact? I am having trouble reconciling the texture types used by modelers and the 3 types that are obvious for Valheim

Valheim seems to have BumpMap, MainTex, and MetallicGloss, but so many 3d models have AO, Albedo, Normal, and Roughness

I haven't figured out how to take those 4 types and make them conform to Valheim's naming schema.
Did you figure it out? Maybe this will help: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/48

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What are some of your favourite mods that y'all use?

I can't stand mods that add incongruous assets and as a result my mod list is boringly barebones:
  • Valheim Plus
  • CameraMod (love being able to zoom right into first person view)
  • Immersive Hud
  • NoLensDirt (boggles my mind that there's no official option to disable this effect)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Speaking of, if anyone wants an interesting-looking and medium-sized starter island, "Guntriggah" is pretty cool.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Workbenches on wheels would be a nice mid to late game upgrade.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

We'd dug out one of those fire vents for surt farming and Bone mass got stuck in it and very slowly burned itself to death.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Black Griffon posted:

Speaking of mods, are there any I should pick up? I see Valheim Plus has a bunch of downloads, but it changes so much I'm not actually sure I can trust it.

If not that, there's this, which seems nice I guess.
My list:
First Person View: Allows you to zoom all the way into a first person view. Great for dungeons and for admiring your lovely fort.
Any Portal: Travel to and from any portal.
Equipment and Quick Slots: Adds a separate section to the inventory for your equipment, and adds a few quick slots.
No Lens Dirt: Removes the dirty lens effect.
Immersive Hud: Lets you tailor when and how HUD elements should be displayed.

Imo these mods add/change features that should've been part of the base game. I also use Valheim Plus, mainly so that I don't have to refill my torches and poo poo all the time.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Mods have to be installed on both server and client side. If they don't match you won't be able to connect. Maybe that'll change if mods ever become an official feature.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Oh for real? What the gently caress. Thanks.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That amount of terrain fuckery can be pretty hard on performance though.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Really? That's awesome!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Padded armor is pretty good. Its defense rating is like three times that of root armor. But I suppose the latter is better if all you wanna do is plink arrows from afar.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s more that all the threats of consequence in the Plains are piercing damage and Root armor is tankier against Pierce than Padded while also protecting against Poison.

Even if you’re melee-ing, Root armor is the better pick. If you get truly swarmed a quick Bonemass will solve the problem. But javelin Fulings and Deathsquitos nailing you from a blind spot during a chaotic fight is threat numero uno and Root armor pretty much completely neuters both of those things.
It's nice that different armors accommodate different play styles. I prefer to be able to tank a couple of missed parries against a berserker or a lox. But maybe that's possible to do in the root armor as well?

The weakness to fire also makes me think that the root armor's more suited to keeping your distance. But to be honest I haven't played around with very much — I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it fares.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Speaking of building, I'm almost finished with my current projects: an inn and a temple/stores. Not sure what to do next. Maybe a harbor? Or a small house somewhere, because right now I sleep in one of the inn guestrooms.

From the shore:

To the left of the entrance is the smithy:

If you head upwards the grounds you see the inn and the temple:

Ample storage inside the temple. There's a basement level that contains a workshop.

The view from the temple balcony.

Aerial shot:

Inside the inn, the kitchen to the left:

To the right: eating area, food/mead storage (can't seem it because of the hearth fire) and guestrooms

EDIT:
Also, if you want to make a chimney without using any roof pieces, this solution lets through smoke and protects against the rain. Or at least it's been working for me.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 22, 2022

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Loving all of this. One of the best parts about Valheim's building system is the restrictive stability. It breeds a lot of creativity.

mastershakeman posted:

youre all doing it wrong. vikings live in obelisks

Reminds me of the tank in Raised by Wolves.

I don't follow any Valheim channels, so this may be common knowledge but it blew my mind when I accidentally stumbled upon it – you can offset pieces by using a wood door. This allows you for instance to make trimming that juts out:

Or to center pieces, like doors and windows:

You can also use this method to make thin(ner) double-sided wood walls with air gaps:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Do you not use the hand place button? It's less accurate than using the snaps but lets you do waaaaay more than the snaps will let you.

I like the door trick though, it keeps the parts aligned more than hand placing would.

There's a similar technique with core wood that lets you do .5m vertical offsets. Horizontal core wood pieces have snap point above and below, which is how you can make log cabin walls, or you can use the snap for closer spacing then you can by default:

Outside of weird poo poo like stacking kilns, hardly ever. The inconsistency stresses me out, especially on large-scale projects.

Didn't know about the core wood trick! That's excellent.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

We just got to Mistlands and I like it a lot, but
you can't use the belt and a mistlight at the same time? Why not? Such a strange decision.

And does the mist lessen the deeper into the lands you venture or something? It's a beautiful biome but you can't see poo poo.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Eifert Posting posted:

Climb to see poo poo. Most of the stuff in the mist that matters has a light on it so you just want to climb and look for that. Make a beeline for the new cape it makes The Mistlands so much more reasonable.

My advice is to just carry the equipment for a portal. There is only really one thing that you can't portal around, And so if you find a good source for any of the other poo poo you can just build a portal real quick. Specific stuff:

You can build a portal under the rib cage for the big giant skeletons and everything you get from them goes straight through. Soft tissue is very important, It's the major finite resource for the new biome. Even if you don't care about building you want to grab some black marble because the new manufacturing doesn't damage it like it damages other stuff.

What I did was find a dwarf fortress nearby a bunch of sap and evict the residents, That gave me a central portal that I could hop in and grab sap from. As far as I can tell the thing you need to get sap is literally the only new item that doesn't go through portals.

ATT Even if you want to build everything new and upgrade it all you probably only need about 150 eiter and If you're going to be selective you can probably get away with 50 or 60, It's nowhere near as important as iron or even black metal Imo.

The underground dungeons have a safe place to put a portal right by the door. If you carry the materials for a stone bench with you you can set up a portal and bring through literally everything you can get from that dungeon and then tear down the exterior and get a good few hundred black marble.

Since they toned down the spawn rate the mistlands are a lot more reasonable. I used to die a lot in them back when the big floaty boys would spawn right on top of seeker soldiers all the time. Magic also helps a ton.

I will say though it's possible to get really hosed on what actually spawns inside the dungeons. For whatever reason when I was looking for my last five black cores It took me like six dungeons to do it.

Thanks man! We're gonna do some climbing today.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because making the accessory slot more competitive forces you to make decisions. Is it worth loving visibility on the way back to get More Stuff etc.
Yeah, I can imagine that's what the developers thought but it's pretty stupid. I understand that there are players who absolutely love poo poo that I personally find tedious (like having to make the hardcore "decision" between seeing anything or restricting your already limited carrying capacity in an area shock full of new stuff) — I just wanted to vent.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah. Or as often suggested, unlock the teleportation and trading of previous-tier metals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The knockback is pretty drat obnoxious.