Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Burns posted:

Update on Mistlands adventure. I cleared out one infested mine but unfortunately it only had 4 dark cores. While trying to establish a little outpost at the first infested mine i died and had to sail back. Now i am back but there's a gjall patrolling the area and it has already destroyed the work benches and one of the longships. Im using the mine to hide out but I dont know if it will eventually go away. Fighting it might take time and risks given no room to manouver. Might just pop in and out of the mine till it goes down.

I would sail back another time, setup a portal a bit away, and then go deal with the gjall. They're absolute jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BrianRx posted:

I think the best strategy for dealing with them at first is not to. Unless there are dwarves nearby, in which case let them do it and scavenge the corpses afterward. But they're really high risk, low reward fights and involve interacting with ticks, The Worst Enemy.

I probably had a dozen deaths in mistlands due to fighting Gjall in rocky areas for cover + keeping ticks away, then an hour afterwards some tick would hop onto me when I was completely unprepared.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I didn't realize you could skip past Yagluth like that, that's really cool.

I once tried to go straight for silver from the meadows, complete with making a gigantic trench up a mountain to find silver without a wishbone (I died a lot to drakes, and had fires everywhere to keep warm), and found out that I still couldn't get the silver vein to break until someone broke a piece off with an iron pickaxe.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Molybdenum posted:

There are sometimes outdoor iron piles in the swamp. So with an antler pickaxe you can go to iron, then silver without killing the elder or bone mass. The modor drop is needed to make plains and mistland gear.

Yeah, you can find them pretty easily on the edges of swamp against something taller, they stick out pretty well. I've found some in flat areas too for whatever reason. I just wanted to do a gigantic leapfrog all at once.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
All they need to do is change it so that hitting silver with a pick checks for gravity, rather than doing the check once the first piece breaks free. Then you can go straight from eithkyr to silver.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

I couldn't help myself and am reading them. This looks SICK

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Burns posted:

I am curious about the fire propagation feature.

PittTheElder posted:

No Ashland Atgier? Lame

Folks, use spoilers please. A lot of people are real excited about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Burns posted:

So getting to ashlands:

Ive not actually tried this but I do think it is possible to make it there in a longship. So long as your longship survives long enough to get to those pillar rocks, which from youtube vids ive seen seems possible, that border the ashland. Assuming you get there, it may be possible to place a workbench on them (this will determine the viability of this strat). If so, you can then place a portal there but also use beams to essentially create a bridge to other pillars and essentially bridge your way into the Ashlands without the need for the new ship.

Every single map I make completely over the top logistics efforts. Huge roads through swamps, giant roads up the sides of mountains, bridges between plains pillars, bridges between mistlands mountains. So my immediate thought was to explore the entire border from east to west against the ashlands and try to build a bridge from the mainland to those pillars and keep building from there. It may well be too deep to do that, though.