Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I can't believe I got sucked into another time sink

Last summer we visited our in-laws and my BIL got my 8 year old hooked on it. For this winter break, they watched our son for the week and BIL built him a gaming CPU. We got that hooked up last week and after I had finished getting it going so they could chat, BIL asks "So what's it going to take you to play?"

I played that afternoon. BIL is very experienced and got me kitted out with iron based stuff. Felt I needed more time to come up to speed and spent the week in my own world.

They were working on moving their base and I was tasked with building a house for beds. A few hours later, they had enough at about the same time.

Me? I played another 90 minutes on his server getting a drat hearth going in babby's second janky house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Icon Of Sin posted:

Eels are the bane of my existence when I’m in the swamps, for my boats getting wrecked :argh:
Cheap little base with a portal and chest next to a crypt in a fully enemy cleared area and then just cart out the iron because you also spent a little time clearing out trees and raising land?

My favorite was doing all of that and forgetting the exact path into/out of the swamp. "My Black Forrest boat port is not that far away, maybe I should just portal back to that and walk my way back here to refresh my memory? Nahh". Yoked up, I wandered into a tiny corner of plains, was a little too new to the cart usage so I couldn't disengage, and got spanked by deathsquitos and trolls that I hadn't quite mastered. Took me a good hour to clean myself out of that one.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Odin: Build the perfect stairs in this tower.
Me: Portal :smug:
Odin: You cowardly defeated Moder with arrows from under her alter, you cowardly defeated Yagluth from under his alter drawing him out with a wood floor over the trench that you proceeded to splash damage him with a sledge 30 points at a time, you....to Hel and it's mistress with you!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Last night after I confirmed my current mistlands was too tiny (but surprisingly good for spawning like 6 gjalls; being adjacent to plains and black forest I got a ringside seat to some gjall vs troll/loxes), I moved on to another island and got a "proper" mistlands biome with ancient armor and so far one infested mine.

For awhile when I've seen builds using nothing but black marble, I thought they looked tacky without any contrast. I still feel that way visually, but after deconstructing one tower and filling a (non reinforced) chest with black marble, I get using it so much. Stuff is like beech tree wood in the mistlands.

Now I'm thinking of ways I can spice up my base.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Do people not spam the mistlands with torches?

My map following is ok, my memory of where I've been is ok-ish, but it's so disorienting I feel like if I get attacked/chased, I'll panic and either fall off/run into a cliff with low stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Starting in March, my house building got relatively better but I'm otherwise hopeless. Seeing what my brother in law (who has played the game close to its release) was building on his server compared to mine just embarrassed me.

In an effort to up my game, I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TttDdY3JvPI

I didn't build it step-by-step, but used it as a technique/guideline (for example, mine's 10x10 instead of 12x12) and I love it. The layout is great and having all of the upgrades in the basement makes the usable space clean and efficient.

I wiped out a Draugr village at the top of a hill overlooking the ocean and doggedly stuck with the location (one of the rehabbed buildings is now my chicken coop). After realizing quickly that hoofing ore up the hill was a chore, I finally completed a double-wide stone stair case to my dock which is both ugly and janky looking.