Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I chose the location for my first base in my current game because it was near a small pond adjacent to the ocean. I mined out a channel between the two and dredged out the lake some, along with putting in some guard rails to make keeping my boat in the deeper channel easier. It worked really well! Now I need to level the path up to my base to make carting stuff easier.

I guess what I'm saying is I agree with you. This was the first time I saw something like this (granted I haven't played a ton).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
If Ashlands is coming soon, it looks like I may have picked this up at the right time. After being unhappy with choices I made in my first game, I rerolled my world and added some QOL mods.

I just started exploring the mountains for the first time, and after being warned about wolves by a friend and finding them to be not too bad, I got a "you are being hunted" event and got absolutely stomped despite having max level iron gear and healing meds. The event lasted so long I just ran out of stamina and couldn't fight, defend, or run.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Cheesus posted:

Starting in March, my house building got relatively better but I'm otherwise hopeless. Seeing what my brother in law (who has played the game close to its release) was building on his server compared to mine just embarrassed me.

In an effort to up my game, I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TttDdY3JvPI

I didn't build it step-by-step, but used it as a technique/guideline (for example, mine's 10x10 instead of 12x12) and I love it. The layout is great and having all of the upgrades in the basement makes the usable space clean and efficient.

I wiped out a Draugr village at the top of a hill overlooking the ocean and doggedly stuck with the location (one of the rehabbed buildings is now my chicken coop). After realizing quickly that hoofing ore up the hill was a chore, I finally completed a double-wide stone stair case to my dock which is both ugly and janky looking.

I like this guy's house (and his "factory"), but like you I changed it to 10x10. I also wanted a separate workshop, so I have two of them, but I need to figure out how to modify the roofs to be different from each other.

I built the entire 12x12 thing, realized I didn't like it for a couple reasons (one being my base location), so I used it as an excuse to move to a small island I found. As soon as I can figure out how to bring a wolf pair there (they keep trying to loving attack sea serpents and hopping off the boat), my island will be grey dwarf and boar free.