Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

As it stands boars really aren't worth the work, your time is better spent hunting deer which also lets you collect mushrooms and berries at the same time. Tamed boars don't even guarantee 1 meat per kill, unless there's a mechanic that makes them drop meat every time you kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ategirs are super good for dealing with Furtlings because the secondary is an AOE knockback, so it's quite easy to just repeatedly knock the Furtlings back before they can get a hit in and you can hit a bunch with it at once

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's v. important it is to maintain a base with comfort items. They aren't just cosmetic: they actually increase how long you remain rested. Our main room is up to Comfort 17, which keeps us rested for 24 minutes at a time.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Midgetskydiver posted:

Can you elaborate on how to raise this? Mine seems to be capped at 5

Fires and build all the things in the cosmetics tab or whatever it's called in the building menu. A few items don't do anything, like weapon stands, and duplicate things don't stack. You'll unlock more things as you progress.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're wondering "should I play this game?" I think the best way to describe it as a survival game that's akin to a legacy board gam. It's most enjoyable when played from the start with a small, consistent group of people (4-8) playing on a persistent map working towards the same goal. There are other ways to play, i.e. jumping in for a session on other's servers, or solo, but they are both not optimal and cause you to miss out on the best parts of the game.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

No theres absolutely something buggy with resourve recovery. Twice Ive disassembled stone cutter tables to move em and gotten 1 iron back instead of the expected 2.

What happens is anything that's disassembled at below full health drops limited materials. A lot of things will degrade to half health if they are rained on (or in the case of structural stuff, if it's not properly supported) which means you'll get limited return on materials if you don't repair the thing before disassembling it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Does this look like it's got legs, or is it another meme game that'll die out and be forgotten soon?

If you do nothing but play through the current content with friends it's $20 very well spent.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Finish this game as a chill build a base and beat bosses game

:hmmyes:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Crop Harvesting Pro Tip: The Ategir's spinning secondary attack also functions like a scythe, and will pull up any crop it hits which is usually like 10-12 at a time.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

Tell me about.... forward operation bases. Outposts. How much do you build them up? Where do you put them? I had an idea to build a quick little bed and bench hut in Black Forest. Didn't realize it'd be surrounded by 10-15 graydwarves every time I went to it.

You will need to build bigger bases to process ores as you progress around the world, however for anything that isn't a processing base I would just throw down a portal and a workbench and dig a deep trench around it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Late game mob Deathsquitos are actually really easy to deal with. They fly in a circle around you and then straight towards you, so just hold an arrow knocked and shoot it as they fly right at you, or even easier, just wait until the fly at you and swing your melee weapon wildly. They're also super easy to kill using the Ategir's secondary.

Seriously I can't stress enough how good Ategirs are. They should be the first weapon you make when you hit bronze tier, because they let you easily kill mobs well above your tier and make harvesting crops much, much faster.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Verviticus posted:

deathsquitos can be full blocked by an upgraded bronze shield. just let them hit you and stab them with a spear. this game also has the most generous parrying ive ever seen in a game so

generally speaking shields are probably too strong. the only time they become a problem is when you have like five things hitting you at once

It's definitely imbalanced, especially because tower shields are near pointless because the normal circle shields are so good. Encounter design really heavily favors weapons with some range and knockback. The core ideas of the combat are good, they could just do with tweaking some values. I think the encounters as a whole would be a lot more fun if the enemies were tougher but you had more stamina to use.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah generally you should be pulling 40-60 silver out of every vein you find.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

What's the most fun invasions you can get? The first one I got was trolls, then the second one was a bunch of draugr and skeletons.

If you can find a lox spawn near a dark forest biome you can regularly watch the lox and trolls fight it out which is pretty fun to see

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

Shield question and base defense question.

Tower shields vs bucklers - do you guys find parrying better than fully absorbing an attack even at the risk of taking more damage? Getting the stagger and an uninterrupted shot at 1-3 crits is pretty nice, but also just being able to hold block and eat all the damage is pretty sweet too. Haven’t tried 2h weapons much yet, tho; that might change things.

For base defense I’ve just been sticking stakes out by the entrances where Greydwarves like to spawn - I was thinking maybe dig a dry moat with stakes on top might be the easiest option? They don’t seem to do too much damage to walls yet, as long as you’re checking on things every so often.

Tower shields are bad compared to Buckler's, and it's definitely better to parry because the party window is extremely generous. Just blocking drains too much stamina.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

I uh, made a big catch and have a pretty good shield now; stats are def better than comparable tower shields even at base level. I haven’t actually noticed a ton of stamina drain from blocking with it but I’ll compare to the banded shield I made last night.

Stamina comes into play vs mobs that hit for a lot of damage. You'll still block 99% of the damage but you'll take the stamina hit as if you took the damage. It really starts to show how bad towers are when you start trying to block mobs in the plains biome. Blocking becomes nearly pointless because you'll just end up at 99% health but 0 stamina, which means you're dead.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I believe enemies will not spawn within a workbench's efftive radium, so you should build small network of them to cover your whole base.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

this is such an ugly solution

Yea I hope they come up with something that makes more sense

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 16, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

they do have the Warding Stone for bronze-level tech. kind of a pain in a MP server since it blocks monsters from spawning but also other players from making buildings and they have to touch it to be able to build in the radius

Yeah I got the impression that wards are something geared more towards a PVP server-- the idea being the ward prevents people from just throwing down a workbench and using the hammer tool to deconstruct entire bases. If wards are hidden inside walls you have to smash your way in the old fashioned way.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Fishing worth it? I saved up my funbucks and already bought the other merchant stuff, so stuffing my pockets with bait is no big deal, but there's so much to do that I dunno if I should be prioritizing it or not.

At first no it's not but eventually yes definitely

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bussamove posted:

We have had very different experiences fishing. I could never get the drat things to bite and when I did they broke off almost immediately.

Yeah this was our experience. It was time consuming for very little return.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I always take wiki information on recently released games with a grain of salt. People have a tendency to straight make poo poo up just to be early contributors.

There is also a lot of dated info from the game's incomplete release a few years ago

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 17, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Having to shift click stacks of raspberries to split off a single you can throw into a boar pen is pretty bad too.

They need a feeding trough or something, plop in a stack of food and the piggies eat a single whenever they feel like loving.

You don't need to do this, they'll only eat one at a time. You can just dump stacks of stuff in there and they'll continuously eat 1 every time they become hungry.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

You don't need that much to be fair, it's 30 bars for the whole set.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Starks posted:

Is there any way to recover stuff from underwater? My ship got destroyed off screen and it was full of copper. I can see it but can't seem to pick it up.

If it was in the cargo hold of your ship there will be a small box floating in the water with the cargo in it. As far as we have seen they never despawn. Failing that you can park a boat over it and swim under it to push you underwater and possibly within reach of the items.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cuttlefush posted:

This tempting nugget was sandwiched between so much genuine advice I don't know if you were confused or if this was an evil but cleverly laid trap. Did you trick me? You have to tell me if you tricked me.

(Or did you mean the crops that aren't turnips/carrots?)

It works with barely and flax, and the one time I tried it with Carrots and Turnips it worked as well. I will test it again later because I think some folks might be using it on un-sprouted veggies which will definitely destroy them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

VietCampo posted:

It's tied to beating bosses.

The scales they drop make a really good shield that is better than the Iron one and has less of a speed penalty.

It's OK and looks great but because it doesn't have a party bonus it's not as good as the smaller shields, which is very lame.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cobbsprite posted:

I think that the crafting benches do not count as "structures" for those purposes. I'm putting torches out to do that, which is also making a small sink for my resin oversupply.

Yes they do. Any structure with a radius displayed when on the ground when you build it aka wards, forges, crafting benches, and a late game crafting table, stop spawns.

Also I apologise for misleading everyone earlier, the Ategir harvesting trick only works with Barley and Flax :(

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Please everyone watch this video it will save you so much time and stone if you're gonna raise ground to build a base

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SquirrelGrip posted:

This little area was comfort 10 before I added some other stuff and I didn’t really look again after that, buff lasts for 17 minutes I think?

And for deleting items, just drop them outside of workbench radius and they despawn in a day or so.

I've built everything and maxed out comfort at 17 but I'm unclear if being in a stone building is more comfortable, so it may go higher.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cobbsprite posted:

Is there a way to make the boar pen self-sustaining so I don't have to keep feeding them? It gets tiresome.

No but you can dump full 50-stacks of veggies in there and they'll only eat what they needa as they need it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I can't find the gif of it, but I saw someone build an item stand on top of a chest then build another chest on top of the item stand, effectively letting you stack crates without needing to build frames or walls. Seems super useful

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've waited until endgame to build a base proper and it's p. fun. Spoilered in case people want to avoid some engame items/biome stuff in the background:

You can use item mounts to put trophies on things, some of which have unique particle effects. I used surtling trophies to give my dragons permanent flame tognues:

I'm using A Fuling camp so I can have some unique prefabs to build around. At first I've just foused on building all the crafting stuff up so I can permanently farm Dark Iron there, but now that it's up I'll begin building proper stone structures around the stuff.

e:

For the eventual throne/main room

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 19, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Det_no posted:

My rafts keep vanishing. Anyone found a reliable way to stop that?

If you're leaving them on the coast wild mobs will destroy them unless you build a workbench or two nearby to stop spawns.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

raverrn posted:

Occasionally I find scrap iron laying about in the swamp. Is it a rare drop from draugr, or what?

I know you farm it in crypts, but I'm talking about on the main swamp biome.

It's the same thing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Commoners posted:

I found this hidden gem on the steam community page and laughed my rear end off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgmt0q7UKw

Please add to OP

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Can Drakes, Lox, or Fenrings spawn starred? I think they are the only mobs I haven't seen with stars yet.

Yes

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Progress on converting the Fuling encampment is going well :black101:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think people would freak out about metal scarcity less if they paid more attention to the stats of items and were generally more aware of which things are very minor upgrades, and which things were important: i.e. Flint->bronze axe is very important. Troll armor ->bronze armor much less so. You see similar repetitions in basically every tier, so I don't think it's a bad thing that you often have to make critical choices about where you spend your resources.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

People should keep this in mind: A max upgraded item has the same stats as the first tier item in the next tier. So level 4 troll armor is the same armor class as level 1 bronze. If your seed has a ton of bronze go for bronze armor. If you don't, farm trolls to armor 4. If you don't think you're going to upgrade the next tier past level 1.... consider skipping it. IMO iron armor can be skipped entirely in favor of tier 4 Bronze until you eventually find your swamp with a shitload of crypts in it.

Sometimes there's no items at a certain tier. Sometimes certain tiers ARE outright better than the previous onelike Silver armor -> padded iron. But usually you can make up for lacking one resource by focusing on the other areas, like Harvesting the best food and getting more comfort to allow you to get the rested buff longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Drunk in Space posted:

Gonna spoiler this for folks who want to learn about plains stuff for themselves. It's mostly generic strategy/tactics stuff for dealing with the beasties there, though, not any spoilers about the boss:

Using Bonemass' power is extremely helpful in the plains, especially when taking on Fuling camps, but yeah, you do need to have your ducks in a row by this point concerning gear, food items, and healing/stamina mead. Regular Fulings themselves actually go down pretty easily if you have an upgraded silver weapon (I cut through swathes just fine with a silver sword), and the black steel sword I'm now rocking eats them for breakfast. It is important to not engage too many at once, though (when attacking camps, you can aggro small groups at a time with a bow), and you have to be extra careful around star versions; these can break through even upgraded black steel shield blocks (although the tower version might be able to stop them, I guess?), so you really want to isolate and 1-on-1 them when possible, moving back from their attacks instead of blocking and then quickly diving in with a heavy attack before they can swing again.

Also Lox are really easy to kill with the silver-tier spear. Their sluggish attacks can be blocked and parried effectively by a silver shield, and when they're stunned you can get in a ton of damage with rapid spear thrusts to the head. It usually only takes me about 3-4 rounds of parry/thrust to bring one down. The Lox meat you gain is a fantastic food source, as you can just roast it on the spit as you do with regular meat instead of having to worry about combining it with a million different things in the pot like other high-tier foodstuffs (though as you progress, you will unlock a recipe that utilizes it in something even better). By itself, it gives you like 70 health and lasts a really long time, so go to town on some Lox (Loxen?) asap and get that meat because it'll help you a lot.

How to beat fulings without all this work: Use Ategir, hit multiple with secondary attack. Walk backwards when you need stamina or you need to group them up again.