Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh my god this cart is a literal game changer. Kind of a pain in the rear end to weave around trees on a return trip when it's full and slow as hell but this is so much better than making back and forth runs all the time for resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

queeb posted:

i just tossed a portal to the forest near the water, set up chests there, and then fill those chests and boat it back

This is a good idea!

I did just make a cheap little pathway to at least the edge of the forest to make the carting easier and marked it on my map so I know where to pick it up and find my way home if I get turned around.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Orange/Blue color gradients you get all the time sure are purdy to look at

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Spanish Matlock posted:

So the biggest problem we're having on our server right now is Iron. We just cleared our first swamp ruin and brought back 62 iron bars, and we thought that we'd be sorted for some new equipment, but man the price increase is huge. 20 bars to make a thing is insane. We haven't found any other crypts either. The Bonepile is like half the map away from our current base so we've got some exploring to do but hopefully we'll find a more forgiving region to move our smelters and forges to.

Guh, I'm just about finished with copper and upgraded all of my gear as much as I can so I was wondering when Iron stuff would start showing up and this scares me. I really wish you could bring metal through portals, make bars teleport-able but ores not or something so at least we need to smelt before bringing it through.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Uuuuuuugh I just died a half a world away as I decided to hop off my boat for some tin before heading back home and naturally got surprised by a Troll and smashed to death before I could gradually get away in the Karve. My spawnpoint is also at a shack I made close to the second boss that I was scouting out so I don't even have a single piece of gear or materials with me. loving hell this is going to be a lovely corpserun through an entire continent.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishstick posted:

I had the same happen when I got cornered after being cocky in one too many burial chambers, so I died somewhere in the middle surrounded by skeletons, then promptly croaked when I thought i could get it back with just a club.

Learned the value of keeping your older gear around for corpse runs.

Does your last tombstone disappear if you die? Meaning do I lose everything if I die trying to run back to my tombstone?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Badly Jester posted:

Nah, I've had several gravestones going on at once before. Don't know if there's an upper limit, though.

Okay cool, that's good to know at least.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Whew, I made it back. It helps that you run real fast when you're not wearing any armor. I had to kite away the troll and about a dozen greybeards but I made it :v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shoehead posted:

Yeah atm all I want to do is build an entire town but even a full shack requires more than 2 full stacks of regular wood. I can't wait to get some stone building done but I feel like I've still a whole heap of prep to do.

Honestly atm I'm just switching between a home world and an expedition world because in single player I'll put up with either the grind or the long journey home but not both.

Get a cart if you haven't yet, you do need bronze nails for it but being able to take a cart out in the forest, cut down a fuckton of trees, and bring in like 10 full stacks of wood with the cart makes at least that part of the process significantly less lovely.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

weekly font posted:

Hey thread. Trying to learn this game since I have a bunch of friends playing this but these kinds of game are extremely not for me - the only one in this style I've ever enjoyed was Subnautica. But I'm trying!

But I think I softlocked my character? I couldn't figure out how building worked and I currently have a broken hammer and a workbench with no roof over it so I can't use it (???). Am I just boned here or is there something I'm missing, I'm not looking to spend more minutes in the refund window stumbling around and ruining potential enjoyment of a game.

Build a new hammer, you can craft a limited amount of things without needing a bench by hitting Tab, you should be able to find what you need for it just lying around (3 wood, two stones. Turn vegetation to low in the game settings to turn off grass and make all the rocks suddenly appear. Find branches to pick up for the wood you need). As for the roof over the workbench you don't have to build an entire building for it, just put a 2x1 wood wall directly behind it and use one of the ^ shaped roof pieces that are in the hammer build menu to hang over the workbench.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

grate deceiver posted:

Is there a way to repair broken equipment? Do I need to just keep making new tools?

Repair them at the workbench or forge by clicking the hammer icon on the right. It's totally free to do so mash that button with impunity.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found my first sunken crypt and uh are these things so annoying because they endlessly spawn enemies? The first room after the first goop pile just kept spawning enemies and I didn't see a spawner anywhere.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Quill posted:

Draugr? There has to be a pile of bodies somewhere. Take a torch and look around. Is there a watery passage to swim through to a different room? The rotting bastards can get through those as well.

Okay thanks, I don't think I knew they spawned from those, I must have missed it or something. I was thinking based on everyone's reaction to these dungeons that maybe I was expected to try to mine in between fighting off endlessly spawning enemies so that's a relief to learn you can clear them out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jesus, yeah I've been sailing around and have seen 5 swamp biomes so far and so far they've all been real small with no crypts in them. This latest one I found is still small so I think this crypt is the only one in there. But it's also plugged up with goop so I have to mine it out to go in further.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

thark posted:

I've had some swamp areas with no crypts and some with plenty. Also crypts where I pulled out like 100+ iron (slime and chests combined) and some that were three rooms full stop. Probably most hilarous was a teeny island literally just 10x10 feet of swamp with a crypt on it. Also as said in a previous post I sailed around for like 2-3 hours before finding a second swamp after the first one I found had zero crypts.

Yup I'm on in my friend's world right now and he has two crypts side by side, we just cleared one out and came out of it with about 120 scrap so that's actually not a bad ROI. We're gonna craft another boat to bring back two loads at once lol. It doesn't seem so bad to just load up a boat with 4 stacks and sail it back to base, really.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

grate deceiver posted:

Just had my first rainstorm and I have to say, this game has probably the prettiest weather efects I've seen in a while.

It reminds me a lot of the Witcher 3 with how the trees all sway. Just wait until you're in the ocean on a tiny boat during one of those storms :v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo the (iron tier equipment spoiler) Longboat has 18 inventory slots :eyepop:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh yeah I accidentally buzzed the Plains while boatin around looking for a Swamp and almost got murdered and my boat sunk by loving mosquitoes. Is there a better way to deal with these things than shoot them with a bow? Are they less obnoxious with better gear than copper?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:tipshat:

Thank you both, looks like I'll be avoiding that place like the plague for right now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hell yeah, I found a real good swamp with 3 crypts right next to each other and an empty Longboat to fill with Iron :getin:

The game definitely is grindy but the complaints about Iron seem overblown to me. You're going to have to sail around to move ores but doing runs in the boat is kinda fun and with one full load you can easily get enough iron to make a longboat for your next trip which can hold shittons of the stuff. I'm sure my tune will change when I die and lose all of my gear but so far the strategy of building a portal before you leave, and bringing enough mats on the boat to build a portal wherever you land feels like a reasonable safety net. Even if you do die, assuming nothing happens to the portal you can try a naked corpserun or gear up at your base before hopping through the portal to get your gear.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FYI if you're like me and were trying to figure out why you were actually getting seasick while sailing on the ocean, turn off the realistic boat camera mode or whatever it's called in the options. By default it locks the camera to the orientation of the ship so it bobs around with the waves but turning that off keeps it centered. It can get rough when a storm rolls through.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm desperate for a way to make farming less tedious but doing this just destroys all of my vegetables entirely. What am I doing wrong?

Never tried it with the Ategir but someone else mentioned you can hold the button down to harvest instead of clicking on each one and that has significantly reduced the amount of farming tedium on my side. I wish there was a way to see if something is too close to grow before planting it though, I want to pack them in as close as I can but usually end up doing it too tight and they grow all wonky because they're bumping up against each other I guess.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol this PC Gamer writer died fighting the Elder and now we need to have a discussion about sharp difficulty curves :qq:

The Elder was a complete pushover solo and I was fighting him and a troll simultaneously in a 2v1 handicap match.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yo where da FUq is iron! We've hit a wall (lol) with technology because we can't find iron. Having a great time though. Accidentally built a base near a troll cave. Have to fight trolls now and then before they destroy my buddies extremely tenacious city on stilts. Still get wrecked by wolves when i get near mountains. Found a cool draugr spawn and farmed gutz for like 30 mins.

Go to where those draugrs are spawning, should be in a swamp biome. You need to look out for the dungeons in the swamp biomes that are marked by green torches outside of it. Use the key that you got for killing boss #2 to open up the dungeons. You may need to look around for other swamp biomes depending on how large the one you were at is, I think I sailed around and found 4 or 5 of them before finally getting one big enough to have a couple of the dungeons in them. Keep a lookout for the janky bare trees in the distance to easily identify a swamp if you're boatin' around.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Def found swamp def found a green torch area. Def have the key. Alright cool then. We were wondering where the hell to go really. We were about to set sail and look for these livin islands

Yep you're good then. There's goop you can mine in there to get iron or there's also chests with big stacks of it. Heads up though, the poo poo weighs a lot more than copper/tin so I suggest bringing a boat nearby to dump stuff in so you can sail it back home. If you get lucky you can get 100+ iron from a single crypt!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Troll Trophy on the item mount is :discourse:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishing is so worth it the moment you get the fishing rod. You have to learn the mechanics of it, but making sure you have enough stamina and hitting E to pick up the fish when the line gets it close (not sure if this is necessary but I do it anyway) is really all you need to know. Not sure if the fish you get is tied to how big the one is you caught or not but I was getting 4 uncooked fish per 1 fish caught so I spent maybe 10 minutes fishing and came out with a whole stack of them to cook. They give slightly more stats than cooked meat does too, so they're great to have around.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Longboat is incredible, I played for an hour or two last night with my friend clearing out crypts and putting the iron in the longboat. There were lots of complaints about the iron tier being grindy, it definitely gets there but that boat trip home with ~200 pieces of iron in the hull is really satisfying. If your main base isn't on the shoreline where you can easily dock a boat I would consider moving or at least making a forward outpost where you do your smelting because I have a feeling from here on out moving this stuff by boat is the best option you have.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

xzzy posted:

So now I'm debating whether to pull up stakes and move the main base or just live with a 2-3 minute run every time we want to use a boat.

I'd say make a secondary base, build a road between the two and use carts to ferry stuff from the shore to your real base. Probably less painful than rebuilding everything!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KingKapalone posted:

We're working through the swamp right now and need to find more of it. What's everyone's go to excursion prep/packing list at this stage?

Going to hop in the boat with my full bronze set, fine wood bow, mace/buckler, wood/fire/flint arrows, sausage/carrot soup/carrots, poison resist and healing mead. Should also build a portal and bring mats for another. That's pretty much my whole inventory...

I pretty much always put down a portal and bring mats to make another one when I go exploring. As soon as you make landfall plop one down. Being able to move back and forth back to your base with all the extra bullshit you'll collect and then stuffing the boat full of ore makes it so much easier. It also gives you a bit of a safety net in case you get killed out there, you can just pop through the portal and sprint to your body so it helps ease some of the tension.

Edit: That said, if I'm done with the swamp and there's nothing else there I'll destroy the gate as I leave.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 17, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CRAYON posted:

I've visited 3 swamps so far and none of them have crypts so that's pretty neat. One of them had some glowy green torches so I thought I was in business but I was just being trolled by a runestone.

I had the same problem, I scoped out 4 swamps and the 5th one I found was the one that had crypts in it. Seems like they like to spawn in smaller areas so you will probably find a few of them that are too small to spawn any crypts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think my random base attacks are bugged, I got hit with a wave when I changed my base to a tiny shack far away that I just needed to rest at, I sprinted away because I had just respawned after dying but the "THE FOREST IS MOVING" message is still on the map pointing to the shack that I ran away from some 15-20 hours later and I haven't gotten another attack. :waycool:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KingKapalone posted:

Is bronze armor worth the speed decrease? Upgraded troll armor is the same as bronze without the slowdown, but if upgraded bronze armor isn't worth it so then upgraded troll seems better.

Eh I think if you already have upgraded troll armor it's prob okay to stick with that instead of spend all the bronze to get a new set up to the same level. I plan on moving to Iron armor because the jump in armor seems much more worth it there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Baiard posted:

Finally finished my dockhouse. Wasted a lot of time attempting this before I got log poles.

Looks cool as hell gonna steal this idea. :wotwot:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mrmcd posted:

Also do you get all the magic red cubes back when knocking down the smelters? I did the new mistake of putting my fist base next to the spawn stones, and I'm thinking it's better to just move it to the southern shore now where it isn't constantly hitting the exclusion zone.

You do, I think the current theory is that you may not if the thing you demolish isn't fully repaired at the time so make sure to whack it with the repair hammer first but yeah everything in the game should give full refunds back when you demolish it which is amazing for a game like this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

VietCampo posted:

Is there a trick to harpooning and pulling a Serpent to shallow waters? Besides getting the speed right?

Either we go too fast and the harpoon line breaks, or he's so close he's breaking our ship in the middle of the ocean. Haven't tried either yet, but can you have more than 1 harpoon active and attached? Or do we just make it follow us near to a shore and then harpoon up?

Oh wait is that what that harpoon is for? What happens when you pull it to shore?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GruntyThrst posted:

You can ensure the drops don't sink to the bottom of the ocean when you kill it.

Oh that makes sense.. The only time I ever got attacked by one was on the shore directly outside my base but it swam away once I almost had it killed. I let him go because I was panicking about losing the 9 stacks of iron I had in my boat to the sea right in front of my home base.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My reaction exactly. Check the crafting menu at the forge for shields

Whoa, what the hell? I never saw this before! Thanks for the heads up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there an easier way to build supports underneath a floor so it doesn't cave in? I am trying to build a thing over water but trying to eyeball the top of the support pillars so they match up with the platform above it barely works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey so uh I was boating around and had to turn around because I started going down what I thought was a river but closed up, and as I was backing up I looked over on the shore and saw the Grim Reaper? It was raining and I hadn't seen it before so needless to say it was extremely eerie. I kept looking to see if it was going to disappear but as I sailed away it stood there completely still the entire time. :psyduck: