Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

They've psoted a few WIP screenshots of the next area already, it's a lava/volcano place

you can go there now, it's the south pole. it only has surtlings and flame metal, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Yep. Torches, workbenches, fireplaces, and some other "base" items that I can't remember. Workbenches have the advantage of blocking spawns in the radius you can use the workbench (I don't know if increasing the radius via mods or add-ons increases the spawn block radius) so you can see your coverage, but have the downside of being fairly obvious. Torches and campfires, on the other hand, are pretty easy to conceal but you have to guess on your coverage. Also, noticeably cheaper to make en masse. Finally, I don't think mobs attack campfires, unlike torches.

you can bury workbenches by digging a 2m hole that fits the bench, placing it, filling it back up and leveling it, and being able to see the radius is handy for making sure you don't miss any spots.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bisse posted:

Also swamps suck. gently caress the swamps. Mountains and plains are so great, wanna just get there instead. Wish the swamps were just an optional side area with cool gear.

wish swamps had silver and mountains had iron instead of vice versa

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

I find the swamps completely unproblematic. I just assume the people who hate them don't bother to eat good food or have potions handy.

they're ugly and I don't want to have to keep going there for iron. :mad:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xenix posted:

If Ashlands is coming soon, it looks like I may have picked this up at the right time. After being unhappy with choices I made in my first game, I rerolled my world and added some QOL mods.

I just started exploring the mountains for the first time, and after being warned about wolves by a friend and finding them to be not too bad, I got a "you are being hunted" event and got absolutely stomped despite having max level iron gear and healing meds. The event lasted so long I just ran out of stamina and couldn't fight, defend, or run.

one of my greatest valheim experiences was getting hit by a hunted event for the first time and frantically trying to run and block. nearly out of health and stamina, I hear the sound of a golem; the wolves drop off me and aggro the golem instead. i'm saved.

I ended up building a little shrine to that guy. thank you, hero golem.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

really glad to hear that. between the visibility, the high fantasy elements and the enemies, I liked almost nothing about mistlands except building stuff and the cloak. and the dwarves.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're still gonna be disappointed on the high fantasy side because the entire idea is that Mistlands, Ashlands, and Deep North are escalatingly high fantasy.

it's not a big deal or anything, just felt kind of jarring getting a wizard staff that summons magic force fields or skeletons after the more norse mythology theme in early game.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mistlands are beautiful, I just wish you could see it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hmm .. Thor famously failed to drink the ocean though

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Patch just dropped that fixes cooking stations lighting on fire and some of the aggro issues when landing. Apparently even the sound of trees lighting on fire was drawing mobs the way chopping them down was supposed to.

well, this explains why there were infinite horrible monsters continuously coming for me even after I destroyed the nearby spawner.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

new boat is unbelievably huge. my dock that fits two longboats and a pier is barely wide enough, and neither tall nor deep enough.

seems almost impossible to get established in ashlands. I'm a pretty solid fighter, but I basically ended up fighting for a straight game day until some dark angel got me. killing the nearby spawner didn't seem to stop the endless onslaught of mobs at all and I have no idea where they keep coming from. think I need to test different landing sites.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

this is like if black forest had an unkillable greydwarf nest every 100 feet, and they all kept converging on you. but there's a big castle with an energy beam where i landed so i'm thinking i should have scouted more.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Did they ever fix the bug where boats randomly smash themselves to bits? A big part of why I burned out last time was because I lost my 3rd longboat that way and didn’t have near enough resources to replace it.

Otherwise are there any tips to mitigate that problem? I’m in the middle of trying to move my base into the plains so I’m not sure what the best course of action would be there.

you are probably too close to the shore and hitting underwater rocks, which can basically destroy boats instantly.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Burns posted:

So getting to ashlands:

Ive not actually tried this but I do think it is possible to make it there in a longship. So long as your longship survives long enough to get to those pillar rocks, which from youtube vids ive seen seems possible, that border the ashland. Assuming you get there, it may be possible to place a workbench on them (this will determine the viability of this strat). If so, you can then place a portal there but also use beams to essentially create a bridge to other pillars and essentially bridge your way into the Ashlands without the need for the new ship.

you can place workbenches on the pillars, and frankly I would recommend building your initial forward base on one because you will be swarmed when you actually land. there's no real reason not to build the big ship so you can get close without needing to bridge 10 pillars from the periphery though, it doesn't require anything special.

edit: to give an idea of how aggressively you'll be swarmed, I built my forward base on a pillar and the mobs still aggro and walk out into the water to my pillar to try and get me.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 25, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I haven't been yet but does the boiling sea stop at the pillars? If not does it do damage to you or the monsters?

you yes, the monsters no. it goes all the way to the shore.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Gotcha. So I'll get smaller Ashlands regardless.

Also holy gently caress that landing is a monster. I tried it with mage shield and frost staff and got murdered. I think I need to try heavier armor and to try parrying/archery.

E: nope, needed to mage harder. Made a decent beachhead and started getting some of the new resources. This game owns.

E2: the stone portals can connect to regular portals so you can oneway move metals thank God, because getting the resources to make multiples is a giant pain.

yeah sword and board absolutely didn't work for me so I'm having to finally level elemental magic. I like to think my trapped golem is really enjoying his frost shower.

haven't made a stone portal yet, but I'm a little worried they're going to make the world feel much smaller. having to transport metals by ship is basically the only thing holding together a sense of scale for me.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i hate the stargate. they connect to normal portals and you can carry the materials through normal portals, effectively rendering the need to transport anything by ship moot and replacing it with the portal name dance. hope they change this. :(

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

sailing metal around was always awful, but it has to be to provide logistical friction. it's an essential part of the game to me. rather than something "i've done enough of," it's something which the game is greatly diminished without. maybe the game is just going in a different direction than what I liked about it, but it's a bummer to me.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Vasudus posted:

When I did a super modded run earlier this year I made it so that portals were extremely, extremely expensive (and required iron) so that you couldn't just spam them and shrink the world. But the big change I made was that defeating a world boss enabled you to transport that tier of ore via portal. So you got portals at the start of the swamp, and after beating Bonemass you could teleport iron at will. Beating Modor enabled silver teleporting, etc. It made the early game sufficiently large, and enabled easier back farming of biomes you've already beaten.

i think i might just go full on no portals in the long term, but making them require iron is an interesting idea. shall consider this.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

absolutely loving the black fortresses. i've taken two so far by building towers next to the walls instead of using the new siege engines, so as to keep them intact. great times, very combat engineering feel. extremely my poo poo. found a vesigvir in the first, and the second is very close to the boss. the new mage armor is nice too, I have 81 armor with it and the new cloak.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

(ashlands boss) fader fight was intense. 20 straight minutes of blasting him with level 4 frost staff at 79 elemental magic, with new mage armor, queen power, and chucking all the meads every time the cooldown timer was up. very fun, high mobility fight. slightly less .. anything, and I would have lost rested and probably died.

the power gives +300% carry weight and +10% movement speed, which is great. oddly, the trophy doesn't go next to moder's.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 30, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Oh hell yes. Is that before equipment buffs or after?

not sure where my movespeed armor is, sorry. probably on a rack somewhere.

used staff of the wilds, which summons elder-like plant tentacle things, to take my 4th fortress. didn't really like this at first, but it's very fun for that specific purpose if you combat engineer your way in. however, this fortress yielded a new gem type: the bloodstone, which let me make a troldstav that summons a flaming troll skeleton i'm very excited to use on the 5th fortress.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Is that fight doable without the new magic stuff?

I used the staff of frost and protection only, but you will need high elemental and blood magic skill (I had 79 and 70). the new stuff isn't really useful for that particular fight.

had to finally redo my portal/storage barn i've had since the bronze age to fit the new portal and more/upgraded/better sorted chests, and other than the temporary straw roof because I ran out of tar, i'm pretty happy with how it turned out:

racks fit 48 black metal chests, plus 12 on top. also finally found my fenris set back. might see if I can put another floor on top and move my crafting stations there.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 3, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

in that case yes, I was forced to finally level elemental magic up. it's probably possible, but I don't know how you'd go about beating him without at least staff of protection. melee seems right out.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that would be welcome. i would much rather throw all my things in a searchable bulk storage thing with toggled item display than meticulously organize and maintain a complex system of Generic Chests.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

sounds annoying in practice. don't like to build around pieces having variable size.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

meticulously organizing my complex system of Generic Chests in an excel sheet as I prepare to move everything into its correct place makes me realize I would be fine with basically anything else.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It feels really bad in any survival crafter when you make a big organized "this is metal only" or "this is plants only" resource section that can hold 200 stacks and you feel all good, then you get stack 201.

yep

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

another thing I'm finding annoying about ashlands is you can't see anything unless the weather is clear. if it's raining or foggy when I wake up in my base, I just have to do something else until the weather changes. don't know why iron gate is so enamored with low visibility the last two biomes, the earlier ones don't have this problem.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Booo.
Really was not fond of the sudden change to all new weaponry and skilling up gear. Was jarring AF.

i will say it is very fun, mechanically. i'm enjoying the gameplay a lot. but yeah, there is a constant and jarring contrast with the Viking aesthetic I originally fell for as I run around in my sorcerer robes, with my personal force field, swapping between four different wizard staves that summon skeletons and lightning bolts and transport my loot back to base through my stargate. there is very little of Viking aesthetic left.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zesty posted:

You don’t have to play with magic spells. :shrug:

I was mostly able to avoid it for mistlands, but this doesn’t seem to be true for ashlands.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the new ashlands stairs are actually pretty easy to build in a confined space with. been using them to build inside certain towers in ashlands. they can be rounded fairly well:

also discovered a quest, which took me all over ashlands and was pretty fun to complete and had a neat reward.

don't think it's really better than fully upgraded mistwalker, but it looks cool, and that's the most important stat for a video game item.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

went through my screenshots, and it's very fun watching your town grow. wish i'd taken more when it was just a shack on the shore.

also my flying fortress i built when I somehow managed to mine out a mistlands cliff such that it was floating in the air, but still connected to a rock on the ground. which I immediately recognized as a powerful magic rock.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

best way to get a load of black marble is to excavate the giant skeletons. dig down as far as you can until you hit bedrock or water, all the way under it, then dig out the whole skeleton and just pop it to make it rain black marble. i like to put up wisplights so it feels like an archaeological site.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Philonius posted:

That's very cool - although you now have a base with load-bearing sliver of rock somewhere in the ground. One troll swing could bring the whole thing crashing down :p

I just entered mistlands for the first time myself, and find it relatively ok to get around - the only thing is you can't really make roads there, too many jagged cliffs. So carting out resources means putting up portals.

It's too dark for my taste. I wish they added some lighter building materials - limestone or the like. Or added a system where you can cover the cobblestone pieces in plaster, that would work too. I tried a mod to add color to the pieces, but that ended up looking a bit too unnatural.

i think only the mistlands event can fire in that biome, but a neat feature of the flying fortress is that mobs will just walk around underneath it without attacking. except for gjalls, which will generally knock over a few lights and banners through the marble walls.

you're in luck on the lighter building materials in ashlands, though I personally don't really like it. but I also think black marble looks very good for magical / mystical stuff.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xenix posted:

I built the entire 12x12 thing, realized I didn't like it for a couple reasons (one being my base location), so I used it as an excuse to move to a small island I found. As soon as I can figure out how to bring a wolf pair there (they keep trying to loving attack sea serpents and hopping off the boat), my island will be grey dwarf and boar free.

sail the route without wolves and kill any serpents along the way. if it starts storming or becomes night, stop moving until it's day and clear.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hell yeah.

flametal is wild. that's an oak tree down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

one thing that really grinds my gears is they don't give you the dark material ashland fortresses are made of. :mad: