Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I did both in the same day. Today.

Stranger than Fiction is a LOT better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
i really like it op, but i have a hard time convincing people to watch it because they "don't like will farrel"

like, yeah, no poo poo, he's annoying as poo poo, but he's not will farrellish in this at all, he plays it really well

edit: by "it" i mean "goony" ofc

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Redshirts was bad but I once wrote hate mail to John scalzi over how bad another one of his books was

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
How the gently caress did Redshirts win a Hugo???

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I am not a particularly amazing author but there are shitposts I've written for Weird Tales thread that are more deserving of a Hugo award than Redshirts.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

Redshirts was bad but I once wrote hate mail to John scalzi over how bad another one of his books was

Which book and post the hate mail.

Redshirts was mediocre but it had it's moments. Old man's war was fantastic though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Scalzi must have leveraged his position as president of the Sci-Fi club to win that loving award.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

honda whisperer posted:

Which book and post the hate mail.

Redshirts was mediocre but it had it's moments. Old man's war was fantastic though.

don't have it and literally can't remember why I hated it but the interdependency book 2

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I like Redshirts but it definitely didn't scream Hugo winner to me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked Redshirts up until they got to the "real" world and also annoyed with how it ends with everyone just throwing up their hands and going "dunno" as to why it happened in the first place.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

honda whisperer posted:

Old man's war was fantastic though.

it was fun, but it was also like reading a cover band

Like, I appreciate that somebody took 2 or 3 heinlein books, put them into the 1000 ton hydraulic press from that youtube channel, and squeezed out 50% of the fascism and 90% of the misogyny. I'm also sure that the Rolling Stones Experience puts on a better show these days than the real thing. But still, its a drat cover band and you know it's not the real thing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In Stranger Than Fiction all of Eiffel’s heroes are supposed die at the end of her stories. We think it might be averted but the watch was the real hero of the story and it died at the end

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

I liked Redshirts up until they got to the "real" world and also annoyed with how it ends with everyone just throwing up their hands and going "dunno" as to why it happened in the first place.

For me the best parts of the story were the epilogues but by then I was pretty much tired of the book and ready to go home.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Stranger Than Fiction is a really good movie and I think of Dustin Hoffman's "little did he know" rant more than is probably normal for a movie I last saw a decade ago.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Applewhite posted:

How the gently caress did Redshirts win a Hugo???

Audible sez: “Discover Redshirts as it's meant to be heard, narrated by Wil Wheaton!”

That’s a good question about the Hugo, the whole premise is what if those guys who die a lot had a book about them. And eventually we cross into the real world and actors in Los Angeles are shallow. A Memory Called Empire won the Hugo last year so they can still pick good stuff.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
ok

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Stranger Than Fiction is legitimately one of my favourite movies of recent(ish) time. Everyone does a superb job of being a little bit goofy while maintaining the gravity of everything.

It's highly entertaining and I very much recommend it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wasn't that just a generic romcom with a reliably "quirky" heroine?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Nah, it was about the value of an unremarkable human life versus a work of exceptional art. It was a comedy in the sense that Little Miss Sunshine was a comedy.

I guess Maggie Gyllenhaal was quirky, but everyone in the movie was quirky compared to Will Ferrell. He's supposed to be the blandest IRS agent possible to drive home how little he actually impacts anyone or anything around him and strengthen the argument that were he to die for the sake of art, it would be the sole and greatest contribution of his life.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I have done neither, op. :smug:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Most science fiction is bad and the selections for awards are about as janky as poetry prizes. Full of hype train riding, publisher bias and circle jerking.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Audible sez: “Discover Redshirts as it's meant to be heard, narrated by Wil Wheaton!”

I got the audible version so my wife could listen to it and Wil Wheaton's narration makes me want to tear my ears off. Also, when read aloud the fact that the only dialogue tag in the entire book is "X said" really stands out. He tags EVERY line of dialogue with either "X said" or "X asked" and never mixes it up or pairs the dialogue with an action. This, coupled with the long back and forth conversations really drives home how much this book did not deserve to win a Hugo or any kind of award.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Stranger Than Fiction is a really good movie and I think of Dustin Hoffman's "little did he know" rant more than is probably normal for a movie I last saw a decade ago.

My wife and I have been quoting that to each other as well. It's a great scene.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm not sure why people like John Scalzi's books. I read Locked In and it read like a episode of a procedural cop show. Also, I think its really dumb that you were supposed to sympathize with people that were completely paralyzed that didn't want to use a cure for their disease, and instead expected taxpayers to keep on paying for nurses to take care of them daily.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Little Miss Sunshine is absolutely a comedy imo, what other broad genre could you possibly classify it under?!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Drama.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
My now-wife and I watched Stranger Than Fiction on our first date. I maintain to this day that we got unusually, almost fatefully lucky.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Next up read Niebla by Miguel de Unamuno, the OG

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Or try the manga version of 100 years of solitude, a lofty choice for a goonintellectual

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Applewhite posted:

I got the audible version so my wife could listen to it and Wil Wheaton's narration makes me want to tear my ears off. Also, when read aloud the fact that the only dialogue tag in the entire book is "X said" really stands out. He tags EVERY line of dialogue with either "X said" or "X asked" and never mixes it up or pairs the dialogue with an action. This, coupled with the long back and forth conversations really drives home how much this book did not deserve to win a Hugo or any kind of award.

Oh god yes, he can't do character voices, or chose not to for some inexplicable reason. Something which up to that point I'd considered a basic requiement for a fiction narrator.

Every character sounded exactly the same, which made the back and forth stuff impossible to follow.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's got a throughline that would definitely appeal to sci-fi writers, which is "hey even if you might not think the thing you're working on is prestigious, it might mean a LOT to some people out there!"

Like how you can reliably win Oscars by making movies about how hard it is to be a [movie-making-person].

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Stranger Than Fiction is a very good film.

THIS is my opinion on the matter

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ante posted:

i really like it op, but i have a hard time convincing people to watch it because they "don't like will farrel"

Hello.

I watched it and now I like him even less.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Will Ferrell got me into using horse shampoo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

It's got a throughline that would definitely appeal to sci-fi writers, which is "hey even if you might not think the thing you're working on is prestigious, it might mean a LOT to some people out there!"

Galaxy Quest did it better.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I can't not picture ENS Dahl as ENS Boimler from Lower Decks.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I'll say what we've all been thinking, Italians shouldn't write sci fi

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Applewhite posted:

For sure. I listened to him narrate ready player one and I think the person transcribing the book has to put all those extra “x said” crutches because he can’t do voices and was only hired for nerd name recognition.

Deptfordx posted:

Oh god yes, he can't do character voices, or chose not to for some inexplicable reason. Something which up to that point I'd considered a basic requiement for a fiction narrator.

Every character sounded exactly the same, which made the back and forth stuff impossible to follow.

Yup exactly.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm not sure why people like John Scalzi's books. I read Locked In and it read like a episode of a procedural cop show. Also, I think its really dumb that you were supposed to sympathize with people that were completely paralyzed that didn't want to use a cure for their disease, and instead expected taxpayers to keep on paying for nurses to take care of them daily.

Same reason we have young Sheldon, low brow comfort crap sells.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ante posted:

like, yeah, no poo poo, he's annoying as poo poo, but he's not will farrellish in this at all, he plays it really well

edit: by "it" i mean "goony" ofc

Tangentially, I find it incredible how much better Will Farrell is as the straight man than he is as the funny man and how he is hardly ever used in that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

reignonyourparade posted:

Tangentially, I find it incredible how much better Will Farrell is as the straight man than he is as the funny man and how he is hardly ever used in that role.

I dunno if it's tangential, that's kinda what I was getting at, but you said it better