Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I did both in the same day. Today.

Stranger than Fiction is a LOT better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
How the gently caress did Redshirts win a Hugo???

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I am not a particularly amazing author but there are shitposts I've written for Weird Tales thread that are more deserving of a Hugo award than Redshirts.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Scalzi must have leveraged his position as president of the Sci-Fi club to win that loving award.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In Stranger Than Fiction all of Eiffel’s heroes are supposed die at the end of her stories. We think it might be averted but the watch was the real hero of the story and it died at the end

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

I liked Redshirts up until they got to the "real" world and also annoyed with how it ends with everyone just throwing up their hands and going "dunno" as to why it happened in the first place.

For me the best parts of the story were the epilogues but by then I was pretty much tired of the book and ready to go home.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Audible sez: “Discover Redshirts as it's meant to be heard, narrated by Wil Wheaton!”

I got the audible version so my wife could listen to it and Wil Wheaton's narration makes me want to tear my ears off. Also, when read aloud the fact that the only dialogue tag in the entire book is "X said" really stands out. He tags EVERY line of dialogue with either "X said" or "X asked" and never mixes it up or pairs the dialogue with an action. This, coupled with the long back and forth conversations really drives home how much this book did not deserve to win a Hugo or any kind of award.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Stranger Than Fiction is a really good movie and I think of Dustin Hoffman's "little did he know" rant more than is probably normal for a movie I last saw a decade ago.

My wife and I have been quoting that to each other as well. It's a great scene.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

It's got a throughline that would definitely appeal to sci-fi writers, which is "hey even if you might not think the thing you're working on is prestigious, it might mean a LOT to some people out there!"

Galaxy Quest did it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I can't not picture ENS Dahl as ENS Boimler from Lower Decks.