Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
yeah the visible institutions of government power are not where the real decisions are made on anything

pretty much everything in the US is controlled by some combination of Corporations and the National Security State

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
sure, I get that. Most of our elected officials come from or support further entrenchment of the 10% of the population who owns 85% of the stocks or are proud natsec blob members. The current system is working as intended as far as they're concerned

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If anything Curtis' narrative seems to be misdirection, that the way things are now are isn't because "leaders were incapable" or "didn't have vision" rather than for the most part this is what more or less was intended to happen. Rich people crushed their opposition, and this is the world that resulted from it.

End of History rhetoric wasn't utopian naivete but simply a way to spin hegemony. The USSR didn't collapse because of a loss of spirit, but because it was literally crushed in oil markets.

On one hand, there is a recognition that the world of today is indeed bleak, but the problem is not actually identifying how it genuinely came to be.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I liked watching this Curtis for the dread vibe and cool music. I've seen this one and Hypernormalisation, which other ones should I check out?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

net work error posted:

I liked watching this Curtis for the dread vibe and cool music. I've seen this one and Hypernormalisation, which other ones should I check out?

It Felt Like A Kiss for the same vibes, but really anything from Century of the Self-present will scratch that itch.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

yeah marxism (particularly Western marxism) has already spent 90 years analyzing and theorizing about a whole bunch of things other than the fundamentals and that's sucked up a lot of intellectual energy. It hasn't been entirely fruitless, but all of the stuff that's come out of the Frankfurt school or French marxism has either been Succified and incorporated into methods of ruling control or made "harmless" through like media studies or whatever.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KaptainKrunk posted:

yeah marxism (particularly Western marxism) has already spent 90 years analyzing and theorizing about a whole bunch of things other than the fundamentals and that's sucked up a lot of intellectual energy. It hasn't been entirely fruitless, but all of the stuff that's come out of the Frankfurt school or French marxism has either been Succified and incorporated into methods of ruling control or made "harmless" through like media studies or whatever.

Granted, I think post-structuralism as a whole was pretty much empty at its core and it was more about the academy adjusting to geopolitical priorities than anything else. A lot of it is also just that many Marxists like to study theory but really don't like to get their hands dirty with numbers. I think some of it is a revulsion to how Western economics is presented, but at the same time, it ends up pretty insubstantial in my opinion.

It is hard to find a synthesis of both sides, a recognition of the genuine criticisms of Marx with the hard realities of present-day economic systems. If anything, it may be the final "frontier" so to speak.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Granted, I think post-structuralism as a whole was pretty much empty at its core and it was more about the academy adjusting to geopolitical priorities than anything else. A lot of it is also just that many Marxists like to study theory but really don't like to get their hands dirty with numbers. I think some of it is a revulsion to how Western economics is presented, but at the same time, it ends up pretty insubstantial in my opinion.

It is hard to find a synthesis of both sides, a recognition of the genuine criticisms of Marx with the hard realities of present-day economic systems. If anything, it may be the final "frontier" so to speak.

Knowledge and Class by Stephen Resnick and Richard Wolff presents a synthesis founded on Althusser’s idea of overdetermination (among others) that is IMO the only way to make sense of Marxism nowadays. I never got much into Wolff’s solo stuff though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
https://twitter.com/lunch_enjoyer/status/1391431201341198347?s=20