Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Bedshaped posted:

most embarrassing thing I ever did was try to show my ex hypernormalisation.

Hell ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Snape

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Bedshaped posted:

Why was that embarrassing?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

hypernormalization is what he calls his dilz

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Eric Cantonese posted:

He showed them Cube 2 Hypercube by mistake

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lol

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

springing a three hour movie that opens with a long shot following of the trail of blood from a dragged away dead body iirc on someone might not be the move

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Does he mentions UFOs in this one again

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Paffgen posted:

springing a three hour movie that opens with a long shot following of the trail of blood from a dragged away dead body iirc on someone might not be the move

if it works tho that is marriage material

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

part 1 was ok

part 1 is the worst part keep watching

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

its good but lol at a few parts. like where Clinton comes to power and he's all "and apropos of nothing organised labour just melted away, it was crazy" or the part where he seems to be framing the correct response to brutal state persecution is never armed struggle but courageous individual action in the case where the CIA planted the leadership of an entire black panther cel, sold them explosives and then one brave woman pulled a gotcha in court.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

bird. posted:

some people have a gift for painting a picture and breaking out of banal and trite perceptions of the world taken for granted, and i dont think i'd agree with werner herzogs political philosophy if i knew it its probably real hosed up but his documentaries are still p magical

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Lostconfused posted:

Well in the opening you get "These films are a history of how we got to this place, and why both those in power and we find it so difficult to move on." Then he goes on about how some things happened with people brought up on individual ideals get confronted with power structures and political systems.

Talking about Jiang Qing and Chai Ling makes sense to me and fits the theme. Talking about the Opium Wars and OxyContin was baffling to me even if there is a superficial connection with Deng. Comparing the KKK, Serbia, and ISIS also seemed very superficial to me. There is a lot of grist in Edward Limonov and the Yugoslav Wars why be so cursory?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Bedshaped posted:

i tried this and my ex said "i asked if we could watch anime not your propaganda" the breakup was for unrelated reasons

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

mila kunis posted:

curtis' ideology is confused but thats ok

he seems to believe that material conditions are the biggest influence on people's lives and i like the historical parallels he draws

part 1 at 1:06 you see a british anti-immigrant rally from the 60s/70s and twenty feet from the KEEP BLACKS OUT sign there's a banner emblazoned with the words "FREE SPEECH" :thunk:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

TheSlutPit posted:

I think he makes some cogent criticisms of the left as it exists today, specifically with its tendency to frame modern class/power relations in the language of decades-old political movements rather than presenting a vision for the future. He's hardly hostile to leftist principles though.

in more than a few instances, people are litigating fights long won and long lost drat near a hundred years ago

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Regardless of what he personally calls himself, Adam Curtis's insistence that the material conditions of people's lives are more important than inner mental processes and his condemnation of Individualism make him far more of a Marxist than half the online "left". I'd certainly put more credence in his analysis than any "breadtuber" .

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Welp what can I say, that's pretty lovely

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

for a second there i was excited to watch a documentary about why we need a new civil war

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Do some of the threads in the first episode pay off later? I understand where he might be going with Thornley, MK Ultra, Mao's wife etc. but a bit more lost in what that one dude's divorce or artificial intelligence have to do with things.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

Do some of the threads in the first episode pay off later? I understand where he might be going with Thornley, MK Ultra, Mao's wife etc. but a bit more lost in what that one dude's divorce or artificial intelligence have to do with things.

the dude's divorce is supposed to be illustrative of leftover elements of patriarchy which persisted in the new era of individualism

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
he draws an explicit link between the flawed 19th century scientific drive to taxonomise everything (played over archival phrenology footage) and 'artificial intelligence'... i love it

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

exmarx posted:

he draws an explicit link between the flawed 19th century scientific drive to taxonomise everything (played over archival phrenology footage) and 'artificial intelligence'... i love it

Tying the Gadfly to the inventor of Boolean logic was a pretty fun "whoa!" moment for me.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

for a second there i was excited to watch a documentary about why we need a new civil war

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

exmarx posted:

Ahhh. That makes sense and actually lol that is brilliant.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

exmarx posted:

Someone recently mentioned "Seeing Like a State" and I am now again reminded of it. How societies needed to structure and organize everything to increase their control over it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

the dude's divorce is supposed to be illustrative of leftover elements of patriarchy which persisted in the new era of individualism

He also included that question "To be free you had to be ruthless?"

Which seems to be a theme in the first episode that he presents people with a strong sense of individuality also had a strong personality and sometimes would be selfish or cruel.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also that 'melody in the jungle' sound cue that plays over the story of the search for the remains of a failed slave uprising keeps playing over and over again in the later episodes

he literally says, when it plays the first time, that the story is a discussion of the ghosts of colonialism

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
hypermornalization

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bedshaped posted:

I just got my girlfriend hooked on this new one, I'll try hypernormalization next.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

don't think I necessarily buy his assessment in his conclusion that china is in a tenuous position but I think that might just be a holdover from a lot of this being made before the chinese response to covid was clearly superior to the west

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bedshaped posted:

I had a coworker who I did not at all expect show me that movie after Trump won and her comment was "putin hosed us" and I had to just lol for a solid day

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Li Lilly is an backstabbing bitch. Jiang Qing is my queen.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
He does back off a bit on the "individualism is bad" a bit in the final episode but mostly because he comes to the conclusion that the primary force trying to get rid of it wants to turn society into a giant skinner box. It means he comes down with a more nuanced position of "individualism has some upside but is actively corrosive to collective action, though individualism is preferable to the nightmare society that the behavioral psychologists want to create".

he does erroneously say that there were no protests against the Iraq war, which is a very strange thing to get wrong

no Epstein but as a consolation prize he shits on russiagate for 20 minutes

he glosses over who Nalvany in Russia actually is, maybe him and Mark Ames should talk

moving Deep Dream sequence made my eyes hurt

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

still think about this video lol

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://i.imgur.com/SR1Zdlk.mp4

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Man, Curtis really bought into the whole Tupac-as-exceptiona-revolutionary-rapper hype, didn't he? That's disappointing. Or maybe it just fits better into his narrative...

SpaceGoku posted:

don't think I necessarily buy his assessment in his conclusion that china is in a tenuous position but I think that might just be a holdover from a lot of this being made before the chinese response to covid was clearly superior to the west

China's response was superior due to being able to coerce people into submission. I don't see that as a sign of greater overall socioeconomic or sociopolitical health as much as a side benefit of one party totalitarianism.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I'd argue it was Red mobilization that saved China. Getting tens of thousands of people in villages, towns, and cities organized and mobilized to deliver aid, test.

I don't think the regime is all that weak because people don't want the chaos of the West, and the CCP has harnessed nationalism and muzzled the liberals.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I had a coworker who I did not at all expect show me that movie after Trump won and her comment was "putin hosed us" and I had to just lol for a solid day

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
gently caress yeah! Been waiting for this.