Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

3 episodes in, seems like the focus of each is as follows:

episode 1: the last gasp of revolution, “big ideas” in the 60s

episode 2: the dissolution of those ideas and movements post 68

episode 3: the transition to finance (“money”/consumerism) as a replacement for ideas in the early 70s

looking forward to seeing where the rest leads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

feel like this could have used a montage/sequence about how all the big movies now are sequels, reboots, spin offs, re-tellinga, or otherwise come from existing IP and how it’s a dead end culture

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

he says in the red scare interview he’s a “progressive” and like a lot of people “in his cohort” (or something like that) he does not have a comprehensive politics, and he’s suspicious of those who do

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I heard nothing but hype about this without any context, so I was confused to see that the first episode consists of broad, vague premises (if any) mixed with stock footage and ominous music from John Carpenter's The Fog

Ah, so I see this is indeed pseudo-intellectual rubbish that is fun to watch like Zeitgeist. ok got it

i thought it was a fine and entertaining examination of how we got to ~capitalist realism~

there was some stuff i disagreed with but broadly i think it made good points about the failures of the 60s and the turn to the market, individualism, and culture that we’re stuck in

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

glad the real critics have finally started to weigh in

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1362506615816077316?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i listened to a ~film~ podcast that talked about the new doc and one of the people on it got upset because she thought curtis treated the iraq war protests, occupy, and BLM like they didn't accomplish anything, which............ lol come one what have any of those actually accomplished so far that is enduring beyond sloganeering and "awareness raising"?