Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Glad you're feeling better and tackling poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thanks very much!

On the topic of tackling poo poo: just about done laying down the UI framework for the Ritual phase's current three parts. You'll be building/matching runes to suit your available materials and what sorts of advantages you'd like to have during your fight with the Slaughtered God you're taking on. Need to spend a few minutes next week finding a way to antialias rotated UI elements in Unity next week while I'm at it.

One last page to design, then I'll need to build the system running behind all that, and then it's a pretty straight shot to implementing Final Confrontations and, with that, a full gameloop -- even if it's not the whole gameloop.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
OK, that's the Ritual stuff done. All I need to do is properly hook this all up and get to work on confronting gods.

Things are looking pretty good so far for a late-this-month release on Dungeons, Rituals, and Divine Confrontations.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Well, howdy. It's been a bit, hasn't it?

So obviously poo poo hit the fan. After that last post a bunch of stuff kept heaping on my shoulders and it took me about a year to get unburdened. I was working hard on getting the game out in late 2023 -- and then Unity decided to bare its entire rear end to the world while more or less saying 'we no longer honor contracts and will find every way we can to squeeze every nickle out of your projects'. I decided to believe them and cancel all my Unity projects. For a while I was burnt out creatively but soon the spark returned, I grit my teeth, and I got to the business of learning another game engine to work with.

That brings us to the present! To Ash and Ember, like the slaughtered gods in it, is resurrecting in another engine. Currently, I'm in the sixth week of production in the new engine and I took the liberty to revisit a bunch of the game's design, UI, and flow since I was starting from more or less scratch in a new engine. As a result, the game looks a heck of a lot nicer, plays better, and (at least to me so far) feels a lot more professional than it did even in the last Unity version that went up: "Last Gasp of Winter".

At the moment, I'm not quite back to where I was on the Unity version but Godot's proving pretty fast to work in and with so progress so far has been extremely fast. I wouldn't be surprised if by next month I'll have surpassed it as, even now, you can technically 'beat the game more' than you could in the Unity version. With the Unity version I built the game 'content up', but with Godot I'm building it 'framework up'; so basically the game doesn't have a lot of content or deep mechanics in it at the moment, but I have most of the outline of the complete game in even at this early stage of development.

I haven't settled on the game's "official marketing palette" yet (all the art is greyscale with red accenting and the game should be shipping with multiple options for what palette you want to use) but I do have early screenshots to share!

Anywho, welcome back everybody! I'll definitely be posting here as I make progress on this game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I've had this on my wishlist for forever, glad to hear it's back on track, good luck!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Little sneak peak of the progress I've made on the Dungeon exploration mode since last week:
https://cdn.masto.host/mastodongamedevplace/media_attachments/files/111/936/100/948/920/397/original/a424f2eda8467ced.mp4

Here's how it's looking on my tasklist at the moment. Once I clear out all the Xs, I think I'll be getting close to launching a prototype playable version in the next month or so after it. (No promises -- I still have to do some AI stuff and fill out/detail the combat/encounter system and at least get a simple AI running for when you're fighting an Opponent in the Confrontation)

✔ Dungeon Introduction Screen
✔ Introduction screen properly self-disposes when player leaves/enters dungeon
✖ Shown enemy will vary depending on what the main type of enemy in the dungeon's encounters would be
✖ Enemy sprite only shows occassionally (random chance to show on blink, guaranteed to disappear on next blink)
✔ Dungeon Simple Procedural Generation
✔ Dungeon Deck Configuration Tool (for players)
✔ Per-floor Event Overrides (guaranteed cards that are 'promised' to show up)
✖ Custom-shape support for Dungeons/Floors
✖ Custom-shape Editor
✔ Movable Dungeon Player Pawn
✔ Movement reveals cards
✔ Movement passes turns outside the Dungeon
✖ Support for Abyssal Dungeons (dungeons where time doesn't pass)
✔ Revealed cards display themselves in higher-resolution/zoom with interaction buttons
✔ Can only move 1 space in any direction
✔ Revealed cards, once encountered, become a blank space.
✔ Hook-up with Combat system for Encounter-type Cards
✖ Hook-up Combat system with the TapeDeck so that it plays Combat music appropriate to the Dungeon
✖ Hook-up with Loot system for Loot-type Cards
✔ Hook-up with Event system for Event-type Cards
✖ Create custom handler for Rest-type Cards
✔ Reaching unexplored Stairs moves the player down a floor in the Dungeon
✖ Interstitial screen to introduce next floor of a dungeon

Firgof fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Little progress report: Map is more or less (for the Prototype stage) done at this point and so is the Homebase. Combat and Adversary stuffs need their feature passes and then I think I'll have a full enough skeleton to relaunch the early version of the game.

Preview of what's coming down the pipe:
https://vimeo.com/914849443