Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I am excited to play some more of this goofy yet fun game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Having fun so far, but I'm wondering at what point will the gear that I farmed from expeditions become obsolete.

Because it'll be hard giving up an extra 50% damage as a bleed Devastator

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Does anyone happen to know how the Devastator Pax skill Earthen Shell works? The description says "Damage dealt with skills is converted to Shield" which is already super vague (how much Shield?) but now that I've taken it I also don't see the blue shield bar pop up. If it's just a buff it's kind of hard for me to tell since like 7 different buffs pop up every time I hit something with a skill.

Edit: It started working after I zoned.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 29, 2022

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Hipster Occultist posted:

Having fun so far, but I'm wondering at what point will the gear that I farmed from expeditions become obsolete.
The level 50 stuff I was using for matchmade Expeditions was getting my rear end kicked on the first few areas at Apoc tier 16. Doing better when I equipped some 51 stuff and modded.

(YMMV though because my lvl 50 build was just okay and not great for soloing)

Roman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 29, 2022

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Cool news is vendors can sell Apocalypse gear. I would tell you what the Rift town guy was selling but I got to him like 4 seconds before his stock reset and it disappeared.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
So is the expansion new storyline, or just more "end game" content?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

So is the expansion new storyline, or just more "end game" content?

It's got a new storyline but it seems super rushed and ends in like 3-4 hours. Almost feels like they had a sequel planned, but canceled it and threw in the cliff notes instead.

Edit: To be fair, there seems to be additional story inside the randomly generated(?) dungeon which seems to be endgame-ish.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 29, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Protocol7 posted:

Today's apparently early access for the new DLC and the login servers aren't working. Lol and lmao

Yeah, what a nightmare for them. The servers just completely poo poo the bed and people were getting disconnected and timed out all night long. And through it all they kept regularly tweeting "OK we figured out the problem, the servers are fixed" and then the replies are hundreds of people posting disconnect pictures.

Considering how awful the launch was it really wasn't a great look that the exact same thing happened again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Finally found the best gun mod: one that gives me anomaly power just for holding it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Played for about 3 hours co-op with my brother last night, no connectivity issues or drops, nice & stable. We completed the first two big missions. My “Nothing Personal, Kid” build is absolutely moonwalking through A16, and I found an Apocalyptic Bulwark from the first boss with a T3 mod in the apocalypse slot so it’s just like Deathshield on crystal meth.

Story seems weirdly hopeful for Outriders and we played for 3 hours without someone comically obviously betraying us or dying brutally in a cutscene.

I expect that I won’t really upgrade my trickster unless the new armor sets are insane or I get apocalyptic versions of the gear that I’m wearing, my build is so OP, but we’re just loving the new maps, enemy types, and bosses so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't realize there was a thread for this, it's not in the directory thread. I got this on sale because I liked playing the Division 2, I had no idea that a DLC was being released at the same time. Do I need to get the DLC from the beginning or does it only add late game content? Also I'm sure this was discussed a million times before but there was like a year-long dead period for the thread so I'll ask again: how well does this play for solo players?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
What build are you using on the trickster? I'm picking this back up after not playing since launch and it looks like I was doing the good build at the time, auto-shotgun to the face with twisted rounds, venator's knife, and alter time. I had full level 50 gear but I never farmed up the sets.

zoux posted:

I didn't realize there was a thread for this, it's not in the directory thread. I got this on sale because I liked playing the Division 2, I had no idea that a DLC was being released at the same time. Do I need to get the DLC from the beginning or does it only add late game content? Also I'm sure this was discussed a million times before but there was like a year-long dead period for the thread so I'll ask again: how well does this play for solo players?

Solo is a mixed bag because on the one hand there's still a lot of skills that trigger on kills, so when you're solo they work a lot better- You're not sharing kills with anyone. The devs have posted that that's a thing they explicitly changed in the DLC, but it looks like a lot of on kill skills still exist. But on the other hand, you have no one to rez you if you die, so death is a restart from your last checkpoint. I find it's a way better game playing in coop.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 29, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would not recommend this game for solo play, but co-op with strangers works fine.

My Trickster uses Twisted Rounds, Teleport, Timerift, top tree skills and top tree Pax. Basically total and complete map control and absolutely disgusting boss DPS. My brother is playing an AoE Ashblast Pyro, so he basically walks into a room, explodes, everything wimpy and shrimpy dies and then I teleport around the room finishing off the elites before we converge on the boss. I truly cannot imagine what this build will look like with 5-6 more mods.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I played the game 95% solo and never felt I was missing anything. The campaign was completely solo for me and only dipped my toes in multiplayer during the endgame time trials. It was a mixed bag like most games with pubby co-op. Mostly was fine but when you had bad pubbies it was a shitshow and when everyone clicked it was magical.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I played WoW for years I'm done with pubbie multiplayer especially . I'll play solo then, and I simply won't die.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did you ever beat the final boss expedition solo? I couldn’t manage it even on my completely broken Technomancer, the blue sniper electricity orbs were just too much for me.

But again, this game is for me and my brother to play co-op, so I never really pushed my solo builds. We’ll have to see what A40 looks like :unsmigghh:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bust Rodd posted:

Did you ever beat the final boss expedition solo? I couldn’t manage it even on my completely broken Technomancer, the blue sniper electricity orbs were just too much for me.

But again, this game is for me and my brother to play co-op, so I never really pushed my solo builds. We’ll have to see what A40 looks like :unsmigghh:

I honestly can’t remember. I know I did it multi but not sure if I ever went back and did it solo. Wasn’t a fan of that one solo or multi.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My brother & I have cleared the campaign and did our first Tarya Katar run. It’s fun, he really enjoys it which is cool, but I absolutely HATE the new “base camp” zone and the ending of the Worldslayer in general.

Spoilers for the ending: You save the day and create a new paradise safe for everyone and then decide to leave and as you leave your new alien friend tells you you are forbidden from ever returning, and then you just ghost everyone, and the final area has letters from all your NPCs saying how much they miss you… wtf? Why would you take away all our in game friends? Why wouldn’t Zahedi, Tiago, and Channa go with me on this adventure to save the world? It just makes no sense and really makes the whole game super dreary sad and I really hope… I dunno what they could even change, it definitely really bums me out though. No reason is ever given for why this exile is permanent or why you’d go alone.

It’s just a huge bummer and has really soured me on the ending TBH! I’ll beat the game and grind my dudes up, but in typical Outriders fashion I feel like the game is 80% really awesome and great, and then 20% of the game is just rubbing sand in your face.

The final boss also has a wide variety of completely bullshit attacks including slowing you down while also locking you out of your abilities. We couldn’t beat him but I also only have 2 apocalypse items and my build is just nowhere near as sustainable as it used to be. He also appears to have at least one attack which is just unavoidable AoE damage for like 10-15 seconds with no Adds. We’re unclear of how to do beat this, it appears to just be a gear check attack to make sure you have X amount of healing or sustain

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I was pretty positive on the initial release and think the game does interesting things with itemization, but I really regret buying the expansion pack. It feels like it leans into a lot of the worst parts of the vanilla experience . The campaign is short, bosses continue to be really dumb bulletsponges that get by on a lot of bullshit and endless waves of adds, and the endgame is really poorly scaled for solo players.

I was hoping this would be Outriders' Reaper of Souls moment but I kind a think it shows that PCF doesn't have the chops to execute this kind of game and that the franchise is probably going to die an ignoble death.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
For people that have played Worldslayer, do the gigantic gently caress off quadroped monsters from the intro and the first area show up and do you fight one?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, you only fight one of those in the base game

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

The final boss also has a wide variety of completely bullshit attacks including slowing you down while also locking you out of your abilities. We couldn’t beat him but I also only have 2 apocalypse items and my build is just nowhere near as sustainable as it used to be. He also appears to have at least one attack which is just unavoidable AoE damage for like 10-15 seconds with no Adds. We’re unclear of how to do beat this, it appears to just be a gear check attack to make sure you have X amount of healing or sustain

I beat him (with my brother) using the same gear I had before the expansion. All his attacks are dodgeable, although it required me to stop and focus on the ground more than usual.

SalTheBard posted:

For people that have played Worldslayer, do the gigantic gently caress off quadroped monsters from the intro and the first area show up and do you fight one?

They show up in the background of a scene or two and the characters mention them, but you don't fight them, no.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 30, 2022

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

You can get both Legendaries and Apocalypse gear from chests now. IIRC they had disabled Legendaries dropping from chests to discourage farming the chests at the electro altered tower fight, but they're back.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So how's the expansion overall? Does it add enough quality of life and fun stuff from the base game? Can regular powers tear poo poo up as good as the ammo powers?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's mostly more of the same? I've been tearing stuff up with Anomaly Powers, but I also did that in the base game so I'm not sure precisely how they compare to ammo powers right now. But honestly I can't think of anything I'd consider "quality of life" or "fun stuff." It's just... more Outriders. Honestly even if you enjoy the game it's probably overpriced; it's more of a DLC than a sequel.

Edit: I will say though that I feel like the endgame lacks direction even more than the base game had. In the original, I at least had the goal of reaching max Expedition Tier, which took a while and was something of a challenge. But now it's just a grind for Apocalypse Tier exp. You can't try go after the perfect gear because you'll outlevel it soon enough, and you can't push yourself to your limits because everything in the world scales with the same tier levels. So there's literally nothing but an incredibly long grind. I do enjoy the gameplay but I can't see myself sticking with this for long.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 30, 2022

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
There is some fun stuff here, like the new guns and their effects. But €39.99 (-10% on Steam) for a 3-4 hour campaign and some new end game maps is very little value for a lot of money. Also there are no new abilities, in the Pax and Ascension systems you just dump points into stuff like "Reduce cooldown by X", or "Increase anomaly power by Y".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eh, the Pax tree is a little more interesting than that. Like "get shields for hitting things with skills" is a gamechanger for my build, and applying bleed with all Seismic skills frees up a mod slot. That said, others are just an overly complicated way of adding 3% to my total damage.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 30, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think mechanically the game is more exciting and deep, but somehow it feels less interesting? Definitely feeling super disappointed in what I got for $40 (x2, because I bought it for my brother for his birthday)

I’m just not that bummed because he really enjoys it, and I like playing with him :unsmith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah man I dunno I haven't gone through the trials stuff yet, but I enjoyed my time with it. Soloing it on apoc level 13.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I swapped up my trickster built to use the chrono trigger SET with LMGs instead of shotguns and have WAY better results for it. Alter time has a 5 second ish cooldown, and it's a huge get out of jail free card for any time you get remotely in danger or stunlocked, as well as the set bonus reloading your entire magazine so you can keep up twisted rounds permanently without spending any other mod slots on ammo sustainment.

I'm specced out the full bottom tree and using an LMG with tier 3 gauss arc and a legendary unique damage proc that shoots through cover on a 4 second cooldown. It's just far more flexible than the shotgun build I was doing, and less dangerous since it doesn't rely so heavily on getting up close right in behind mobs to do the best damage. Most importantly the sustain for bosses is far better. Very happy with those tweaks.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I'm one of those suckers that likes this game's world and story, but yeah 47-ish CAD for this feels kinda bad. I did a full complete run of TG and it seems like the RNG elements really aren't that substantive, so I doubt I'll bother with the Apoc grind.

I'd like to see where they go with a second game, assuming Square Enix lets them make it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This game made absolutely zero money, I really doubt it’s getting anything else. I wasn’t even expecting an expansion, and this one is so anemic I am not sure I’d be excited for it.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Bust Rodd posted:

Spoilers for the ending: You save the day and create a new paradise safe for everyone and then decide to leave and as you leave your new alien friend tells you you are forbidden from ever returning, and then you just ghost everyone, and the final area has letters from all your NPCs saying how much they miss you… wtf? Why would you take away all our in game friends? Why wouldn’t Zahedi, Tiago, and Channa go with me on this adventure to save the world? It just makes no sense and really makes the whole game super dreary sad and I really hope… I dunno what they could even change, it definitely really bums me out though. No reason is ever given for why this exile is permanent or why you’d go alone.

Yeah, that's pretty hosed up. Especially considering that I kinda enjoyed the original story.

Almost everyone is dead anyway and the little bubble can barely protect enough territory to sustain a handful of people. And then our main character fucks off to grind loot in the temple, for what purpose exactly?

Would have been easy to fix too. Have a couple more survivors, say that you need to explore the temple to find more crystal shards to build some ultimate thingy that will get rid of the anomaly forever once you hit max apoc rank. Done. Happy End.

Instead we get a cliffhanger ending for a franchise that may never see another sequel or DLC.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 30, 2022

PsySabreW
Jan 7, 2005

Bicep curls the asgardian way
My 2 cents on this expansion.

One, 40 dollars is way too high for this. Even with green man gaming discounts dropping it to 30, it still feels like I overpaid.

Pros.
Legendaries dropping in story mode is good to see.
PAX points helping struggling classes/builds. Devastator getting "refund ammo into the mag on kill" perk makes it a god send that I don't have to camp the ammo crate all the time.
Feels like there's more mooks to shoot on the map at once in the new content.

Cons
Story mode. I was surprised how fast it was over with. Guess I shouldn't ran my devastator's ultimate damage link build and nuked the entire map at once.
Too much RNG now with loot. RNG if it's apoc tier and RNG on a non-replacable 3rd mod (any 1-3 tier mod in the game). Good luck getting the god roll you want on your gear.
Too much Diablo 3 greater rift style play with loot. I would prefer an option to play with loot dropping from mooks in end game play.
New apoc mats are too low after disassembly. Upgrading gear to new apoc levels is going to be too grindy. It needs to be upped 5x times or so.
Apoc level grinding takes too long. I expect everyone to be bored and quitting around apoc level 20.
New end game dungeon missed the mark. Same room, enemies & bosses all the time makes it stale as gently caress after a few runs. Rooms with targeted loot is cool but the map layout makes it dumb (chest piece room next to final boss room as an example).
Didn't fix the 2nd mod in set gear being static instead of random. Legitimately my biggest pet peeve in this game. You're always stuck with at least 1 bad mod with those pieces which breaks build experimentation with them.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Bust Rodd posted:

This game made absolutely zero money, I really doubt it’s getting anything else. I wasn’t even expecting an expansion, and this one is so anemic I am not sure I’d be excited for it.

I thought People Can Fly and SqueEnix said it exceeded their sales expectations. It at least had a modestly good launch before being taken by the Curse of ICR.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was hoping this expansion would bring a bit more to the table especially given the cost but I have to agree with the lukewarm response. It's a $20 DLC if you ask me, not a $40 one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Father Wendigo posted:

I thought People Can Fly and SqueEnix said it exceeded their sales expectations. It at least had a modestly good launch before being taken by the Curse of ICR.

It was so successful that they had no idea how to handle it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

dogstile posted:

It was so successful that they had no idea how to handle it.

Honestly, I think it was this. Which is really sad because the developer is pretty creative and talented and thought they were making some niche title that'd get a following slowly over the years like Painkiller and Bulletstorm did but when it blew up there were all "wtf, why is our game doing so well? We weren't prepared for this!"

Anyway, thanks for the expansion impressions. I was going to wait for a sale anyway and this just cements that decision. Really loved the base game so I look forward to trying out the expansion when it's cheaper. That's fine, though. I have a backlog of games I want to get to.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I completed the expansion's story and I second the criticisms offered here. They just completely fumbled the whole thing and it didn't make a loving bit of sense.

Not amazing otherwise either, still had the same problems as the basic game did, so I guess they didn't learn any lessons.

I will say the game became a lot more fun when I unlocked the "killing shots while using Blighted Rounds refill your ammo" mod and kept it on my gear. Then I could just hold down R2 and mow down everything with a neverending Blighted Rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solo is working out ok for me since I rerolled a techomancer. I'm running a sniper rifle in the main slot, do you guys think shotguns, smgs, or ARs are the best complement