Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My brother and I bought this game back in September, we each like these kinds of games and cross-play made this a no brainer. My Technomancer has full Plague Sowers and my Trickster is using the Boom Town world record build. We’ve been playing a ton since New Horizons, and it seems that there’s a ton of new and returning players. Since the update I’ve finished every Trickster set and I’m working on my Frost build for Techno, and leveling up a Devestator so I can be a chonky rock wizard.

I really like this game and play on PS5 almost every day if anyone wants a buddy or just a hard carry for free loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only downside of New Horizons is that server stability is completely borked. I’ve been playing daily for months and have had more DC’s and host connection issues in the last two weeks than I did all summer.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They patched in a “Skip Intro Movie” button, but the frame during which they add the button chugs on PS5, so they’ve effectively ruined the intro movie by adding the skip button, lmao

Really meaningful Upgrades for my characters last night. My brother and I each added Dark Sacrifice to our Technomancers for huge DPS increase and I discovered I was wasting two whole mod slots on my Trickster with redundant DPS mods, so now I’m just focusing on Ammo management and my damage is way better now.

Gonna be leveling my Devastator today.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I never find any use for those abilities in high level play. Maybe the meta has shifted away from perfect Supah Speed DPS but you still don’t want to focus your build around enemies that only appear in about half of the game’s content.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wonder if Squeenix ever paid People Can Fly or even told them how many copies sold. Last I heard it had done neither thing, but that was back in October.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/pcfpeoplecanfly/status/1491772309681721351?s=21

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTb6twPCbVI

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I put 120 hours into the game for $40 already, I’ll give them another $40

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Protocol7 posted:

Today's apparently early access for the new DLC and the login servers aren't working. Lol and lmao

Yeah I pre-ordered for both me & my brother. I can log in and play on PS5 no problem, he hasn’t been able to log in on Steam all day :negative:

Kibayasu posted:

When I played it well after launch time knife class was continually hamstrung by the bizarre decision to handle spawning more enemies based entirely on how far into the current arena you've moved. This did not work out well a lot of the time for a class explicitly based on getting close to enemies.

…the entire class is completely balanced around the instant speed infinite range teleport and resetting its cooldown, a trickster’s entire play pattern is “teleport to directly behind enemy - freeze them in time and turn them to chili - teleport to next group of enemies”. If you get a good group that keeps pushing you might not ever actually seen your own sprint animation.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The devs have posted a lot recently about how they’re gonna move away from builds being “stack a bunch of passive %” and towards more combo/build based gameplay that requires active participation vs just slapping 5 buffs on to your assault rifle tactical variant and going berserk. That alone has me more than ready to go for another couple dozen hours.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Servers have calmed down and my brother can finally join my party… just as his wife finishes cooking supper!!

We’re gonna get in a fat 3-4 hour session tonight, very excited.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Played for about 3 hours co-op with my brother last night, no connectivity issues or drops, nice & stable. We completed the first two big missions. My “Nothing Personal, Kid” build is absolutely moonwalking through A16, and I found an Apocalyptic Bulwark from the first boss with a T3 mod in the apocalypse slot so it’s just like Deathshield on crystal meth.

Story seems weirdly hopeful for Outriders and we played for 3 hours without someone comically obviously betraying us or dying brutally in a cutscene.

I expect that I won’t really upgrade my trickster unless the new armor sets are insane or I get apocalyptic versions of the gear that I’m wearing, my build is so OP, but we’re just loving the new maps, enemy types, and bosses so far.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would not recommend this game for solo play, but co-op with strangers works fine.

My Trickster uses Twisted Rounds, Teleport, Timerift, top tree skills and top tree Pax. Basically total and complete map control and absolutely disgusting boss DPS. My brother is playing an AoE Ashblast Pyro, so he basically walks into a room, explodes, everything wimpy and shrimpy dies and then I teleport around the room finishing off the elites before we converge on the boss. I truly cannot imagine what this build will look like with 5-6 more mods.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did you ever beat the final boss expedition solo? I couldn’t manage it even on my completely broken Technomancer, the blue sniper electricity orbs were just too much for me.

But again, this game is for me and my brother to play co-op, so I never really pushed my solo builds. We’ll have to see what A40 looks like :unsmigghh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My brother & I have cleared the campaign and did our first Tarya Katar run. It’s fun, he really enjoys it which is cool, but I absolutely HATE the new “base camp” zone and the ending of the Worldslayer in general.

Spoilers for the ending: You save the day and create a new paradise safe for everyone and then decide to leave and as you leave your new alien friend tells you you are forbidden from ever returning, and then you just ghost everyone, and the final area has letters from all your NPCs saying how much they miss you… wtf? Why would you take away all our in game friends? Why wouldn’t Zahedi, Tiago, and Channa go with me on this adventure to save the world? It just makes no sense and really makes the whole game super dreary sad and I really hope… I dunno what they could even change, it definitely really bums me out though. No reason is ever given for why this exile is permanent or why you’d go alone.

It’s just a huge bummer and has really soured me on the ending TBH! I’ll beat the game and grind my dudes up, but in typical Outriders fashion I feel like the game is 80% really awesome and great, and then 20% of the game is just rubbing sand in your face.

The final boss also has a wide variety of completely bullshit attacks including slowing you down while also locking you out of your abilities. We couldn’t beat him but I also only have 2 apocalypse items and my build is just nowhere near as sustainable as it used to be. He also appears to have at least one attack which is just unavoidable AoE damage for like 10-15 seconds with no Adds. We’re unclear of how to do beat this, it appears to just be a gear check attack to make sure you have X amount of healing or sustain

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, you only fight one of those in the base game

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think mechanically the game is more exciting and deep, but somehow it feels less interesting? Definitely feeling super disappointed in what I got for $40 (x2, because I bought it for my brother for his birthday)

I’m just not that bummed because he really enjoys it, and I like playing with him :unsmith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This game made absolutely zero money, I really doubt it’s getting anything else. I wasn’t even expecting an expansion, and this one is so anemic I am not sure I’d be excited for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

dogstile posted:

It was so successful that they had no idea how to handle it.

Outriders hasn’t turned a profit and might not ever recoup production costs - PC Gamer, 2 months ago.

Finished Tarya Gratar. I was withholding final judgment on the campaign until I did, hoping that maybe the macguffin at the bottom of the well would provide a satisfying conclusion to the story and make all my sacrifices worth it.

It does not. This might actually be the very worst story mode content ever added to a game that I’ve played. I mean going as far back as Brood War, I’ve never seen a video game just go “all your friends, all your trials, all your adventures, just throw em in the trash and grind for loot you little loot monkey! All your friends are sad and you’ll never see them again!” and then the final cinematic of the game is literally the PC asking a bunch of really awesome and interesting questions about what’s going on, then they take an elevator down into a basement and the game ends without answering a single riddle or mystery

I like this game, my brother and I had an awesome time and will probably play for a few weeks until all our characters are maxed out, but Jesus Christ they took everything I liked about the game’s story, characters, and even the setting and just made all of it infinitely worse. I mean really, I am floored that a team of people who ostensibly like their game and their fans would do something so stupid, it’s like they literally couldn’t think of how to end the story so they just… don’t

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have to assume that it negatively impacted their launch sales but gave a substantial boost to Worldslayer sales because thousands of people who otherwise wouldn’t have played it all are now invested in the game and want more of it.

But even so, PCF haven’t gotten a dime from royalty sales yet which means Squeenix hasn’t recouped production costs. Thanks fully that includes the salaries of the devs who made the game, but they’re never gonna get a windfall or a big payout from their game.

Goddam Worldslayer doesn’t even add a few Expeditions? What?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s kind of absurd that they made 4-5 new maps for the XPac campaign and didn’t even, like, put sidequests in them. I don’t understand how this feels so rushed when they were under literally no expectations of any kind.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My brother and I booted up and ran 2 Expedtions, Eye of the Storm, and Tarya Gratar without dying. Got an absolute volcanic eruption of loot. We lucked out and got a decently geared technomancer who insisted on 100% poison turret uptime so the debuff was always on. While I am bummed as hell about the bad story content, the game is still good and I do really enjoy the build craft and gameplay :unsmith:

Also FYI a full TG clear grants a guaranteed Apocalyptic Legendary item

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That is 100% a bug, I dissemble everything right there in the dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I feel great about not being able to play since beating the campaign at launch, I’m only gonna be playing this patched version