Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Filthy Hans posted:

wildcard pick: Behind Enemy Lines (2001)

Owen Wilson stars in this 2 hour long misbegotten military recruitment endeavor. With irrepressibly American verve, he flies over North Korea and they have the temerity to shoot him down. He cinematically eludes and outsmarts the entire North Korean military, except for one badass Korean special forces sniper who murders his way through his own countrymen to capture the war criminal pilot who had no business violating his country's sovereignty. This movie could have been salvaged by making the Korean murderer the protagonist. At any rate, Gene Hackman is a crusty general tasked with recovering the wayward pilot, and no scruples will be observed in the undertaking. Hackman clearly doesn't give a poo poo about the film, barking out stinkers like "the American people want their pilot back" with no real commitment to the thankless role. At any rate, the movie ends with the US blowing up the Northern side of the DMZ in an undeclared act of war, and everyone cheered. Notably, this movie was made before the 9/11 attacks, so the post-towers collapse brain-brokenness of the American public cannot excuse this atrocious film.

Behind Enemy Lines wasn't set in Korea, it was set in the Balkans. Wilson violates Serbian territory to discover a mass grave of Bosnians, and that's why they shoot him down.

There's a very Samantha Power-ish, "A Problem from Hell" framing to the movie where the Americans constantly feel like NATO is getting in the way of them Doing The Right Thing, whether it's the prosecution of the conflict in general where Wilson is set against these very strict rules-of-engagement and airspace restrictions, or when the NATO commander (played by Joaquim de Almeida) keeps stopping Gene Hackman from deploying a rescue team to pick up Wilson.

Not only does the movie engage in the stereotype of the Serbian sniper wearing a tracksuit and squatting a lot, the movie just reinforces the pop-history understanding of the Balkans that essentially boils down to "they've been killing each other for hundreds of years, it's too complex to really understand, except the Serb who did a War Crime, that's the one identifiably bad guy in all this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKTejyk9ZIA

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

john rambo did nothing wrong

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Voice of Labor posted:

john rambo did nothing wrong

Rambo 2 did some very wrong things by basically ignoring everything about the character from the first film

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
re: network

lorreen hobbs was legit until she thought she could grab hold and use television like it was the ruling ring

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Clear and Present Danger, but not in a good way; it’s an example of what’s wrong with things.

* Rich, entitled, connected people influencing US policy.
* The US loving around in Central America under the guise of protecting US interests and/or The War on Drugs.
* An early prototype of a drone strike: a manned plane dropping a guided bomb at the order of, and with a live video feed to, the CIA.
* “Good guys” doing horrible things because they believe in the US, then doing other horrible things because they want to cover it up.
* Big talk and implied consequences, but nothing tangible.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
my favorite scene in Dirty Harry is when the DA lays into him for loving up basic rules of evidence and procedure and he just stands there looking like it's the first time he'd heard anything about it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gradenko_2000 posted:

Behind Enemy Lines wasn't set in Korea, it was set in the Balkans. Wilson violates Serbian territory to discover a mass grave of Bosnians, and that's why they shoot him down.

There's a very Samantha Power-ish, "A Problem from Hell" framing to the movie where the Americans constantly feel like NATO is getting in the way of them Doing The Right Thing, whether it's the prosecution of the conflict in general where Wilson is set against these very strict rules-of-engagement and airspace restrictions, or when the NATO commander (played by Joaquim de Almeida) keeps stopping Gene Hackman from deploying a rescue team to pick up Wilson.

Not only does the movie engage in the stereotype of the Serbian sniper wearing a tracksuit and squatting a lot, the movie just reinforces the pop-history understanding of the Balkans that essentially boils down to "they've been killing each other for hundreds of years, it's too complex to really understand, except the Serb who did a War Crime, that's the one identifiably bad guy in all this".

I think I conflated this film with Stealth, which is where North Korea comes into play

either that or I was high when I watched it

Stealth is a jingoistic piece of poo poo too, and might have had a badass sniper in pursuit of a different downed pilot so I don't feel all that bad about the mixup

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Feb 14, 2021

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tricky D posted:

my favorite scene in Dirty Harry is when the DA lays into him for loving up basic rules of evidence and procedure and he just stands there looking like it's the first time he'd heard anything about it.

I like the part where he was scouting some area and he climbed onto a dumpster to look through a window and then some dudes walked by and thought he's a peeping tom so they started to beat the poo poo out of them until they saw his badge and he just sent them on their way because that's the vigilante code

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

What's the movie where Sam Jackson was right to murder a bunch of arab civilians? gently caress that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_30VjNREhAM

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

Children of Men

Too easy, but sure.

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Dirty Work because the plot mocks capitalism and the movie itself was a product of capitalism but was a huge financial failure

I checked Letterboxd and there's like 7 Dirty Works. which one gooner???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YLByUkQkF8

I wholeheartedly reccomend Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky to this thread. At a crisp 70 minutes, it may yet be the only pure anti-war war movie, set in a future war between Earth and its colonies. What makes December Sky so interesting is how it truly makes war itself a character, this omnipresent, ever-hungry, devouring beast that just consumes human lives with no end in sight. People throw themselves off the launch deck and into war, and those that survive develop new identities as a result of it, at least in the case of our two main characters. The free jazz soundtrack is chaotic and overwhelming, and a perfect backdrop for the heartless and chaotic violence that follows, ripping apart human lives on a level that feels almost Eldritch in nature, soon to be followed by the introduction of child soldiers as cannon fodder.

The main antagonist and protagonist (depending on which side of the war you sympathize with) are deranged, broken, and in the course of the film, become further devoured by the great beast that is war itself. The horrific war machines that they command for the final climax become less of a toy commercial and more of a prison, which becomes reflected in real life. For example, the Master Grade Ver Ka Psycho Zaku model kit has a massive booster pack which dominates any sort of shelf space, and is a total nightmare to actually assemble. These metallic behemoths end up smashing against one another in clumsy, horrific manner that ends up destroying whatever remains of the real estate they were originally fighting over, and the resolution to the final conflict is just as unsatisfying as the pretense for the original outburst of violence that sets the stage for the beginning of the film.

Honestly? Probably the best thing Gundam has ever done.

bonus:

https://twitter.com/DSA_RACIST/status/1360675133032181766

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Feb 14, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
sounds like a toy commercial

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

I wholeheartedly reccomend Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky to this thread. At a crisp 70 minutes, it may yet be the only pure anti-war war movie, set in a future war between Earth and its colonies. What makes December Sky so interesting is how it truly makes war itself a character, this omnipresent, ever-hungry, devouring beast that just consumes human lives with no end in sight. People throw themselves off the launch deck and into war, and those that survive develop new identities as a result of it, at least in the case of our two main characters. The free jazz soundtrack is chaotic and overwhelming, and a perfect backdrop for the heartless and chaotic violence that follows, ripping apart human lives on a level that feels almost Eldritch in nature, soon to be followed by the introduction of child soldiers as cannon fodder.

The main antagonist and protagonist (depending on which side of the war you sympathize with) are deranged, broken, and in the course of the film, become further devoured by the great beast that is war itself. The horrific war machines that they command for the final climax become less of a toy commercial and more of a prison, which becomes reflected in real life. For example, the Master Grade Ver Ka Psycho Zaku model kit has a massive booster pack which dominates any sort of shelf space, and is a total nightmare to actually assemble. These metallic behemoths end up smashing against one another in clumsy, horrific manner that ends up destroying whatever remains of the real estate they were originally fighting over, and the resolution to the final conflict is just as unsatisfying as the pretense for the original outburst of violence that sets the stage for the beginning of the film.

Honestly? Probably the best thing Gundam has ever done.
man, you're going to turn me into a gundam guy, aren't you?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk2vrRKel6k

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

man, you're going to turn me into a gundam guy, aren't you?

Honestly most of Gundam really is a drag but holy gently caress December Sky just shoots for loving Mars and blasts right by it. December Sky is pure ideology, not by telling, but purely by showing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

honestly I prefer this version (audio-only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L03K2njcCrM

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
rugrats in paris portrays a bunch of leftists who have banded together (represented as babies to show the difference in power and standing) as they overthrow an evil corporate overlord who runs a disney park

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxYPq_1iYFk

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I watched Judas and the Black Messiah tonight and that feels like a pretty damned CSPAM movie

i watched it today. it was alright. the writing felt like the weakest part. If you've read about Hampton at all or seen the documentaries that followed him for a bit, you can see the stories they pulled from. Which is good, the source material makes it interesting, but some of the stuff they gloss over for time sticks out. The stuff with the Crowns stood out especially. It seems like they were trying to not have Jeff Fort in the movie, but they needed a composite character to do the stuff Fort did, like have an armed negotiation with Hampton.

The rainbow coalition stuff sort of had the same treatment, but that didn't bug me as much.

To be fair, it's much better than I expected from a Hollywood film about Fred Hampton.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I watched Judas and the Black Messiah tonight and that feels like a pretty damned CSPAM movie

https://twitter.com/dylanmatt/status/1360719241167712261?s=21

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Holy poo poo you guys I'm watching Beverly hills ninja and the guy that plays Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat is in it.

This movie rules

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Holy poo poo you guys I'm watching Beverly hills ninja and the guy that plays Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat is in it.

This movie rules

Edit: He's practicing with num-chuks and he hits himself in the dick hahahaahahahahahaaaa

sorry I meant to hit edit but I hosed up

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Unthinkable (2010)

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
how has Matewan not been mentioned yet. brain poisoned by marvel movies i guess

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Clip-On Fedora posted:

This movie rules

I tried doing a Beverly Hills Ninja character in the Dark Souls games a few times but there was just no way to make a character fat enough and it looked wrong so I scrapped 'em

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the east german Gojko Mitić westerns are cspam as all hell. east german commy westerns depicting the evilness and corruption of america and american capitalism via an incredibly white person in red face.

they are unironically pretty good movies despite some production corners being cut and they are about the only examples I can think of of westerns where the focus is on indigenous people and they are depicted as people and as the good guys in the story.

boxed sets are going for stupid expensive right now and I don't think there are any rips up which are decidely not cspam though

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there, there's the word I couldn't remember

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostern

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
ok the actual c-spammest film of all time is Walker (1987), a historical biopic/satire of real-life grand rear end in a top hat William Walker

quote:

William Walker (May 8, 1824 – September 12, 1860) was an American physician, lawyer, journalist, and mercenary who organized several private military expeditions into Mexico and Central America with the intention of establishing English-speaking colonies under his personal control, an enterprise then known as "filibustering". Walker usurped the presidency of Nicaragua in July 1856 and ruled until May 1, 1857,[1] when he was forced out[2] of the presidency and the country by a coalition of Central American armies. He returned in an attempt to re-establish his control of the region and was captured and executed by the government of Honduras in 1860.

it's impossible for me to articulate why it's the c-spammest film without spoiling the best parts but I'll just say that you need to watch this movie, preferably going in blind, keep in mind the release date, and understand that the director was immediately blacklisted once it came out.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is baby yoda antifa

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Quetzadilla posted:

ok the actual c-spammest film of all time is Walker (1987), a historical biopic/satire of real-life grand rear end in a top hat William Walker

it's impossible for me to articulate why it's the c-spammest film without spoiling the best parts but I'll just say that you need to watch this movie, preferably going in blind, keep in mind the release date, and understand that the director was immediately blacklisted once it came out.

someone buy Alex Cox an account

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I like how in Aquaman the "bad guy" dumps all of our trash from the ocean back onto the beaches

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You could probably make a case for the film industry in Sunset Boulevard being a metaphor for capitalism chewing up and spitting out everyone, rich and poor alike, and causing them to turn on each other in desperation to survive. (Although it's pretty obvious that the film industry in Sunset Boulevard is a metaphor for the film industry).

Anyway, the correct answer is Repo: The Genetic Opera.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

I tried doing a Beverly Hills Ninja character in the Dark Souls games a few times but there was just no way to make a character fat enough and it looked wrong so I scrapped 'em

What a shame. The fat rolls would have been amazing.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

dragged across concrete and the vast of night are my twin obsessions at the moment. lots to mull over and discuss, think i already posted about DAC not too long ago. anyway i don't really know if im doing the thread right so i thought i'd just share two films i think you should check out.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

*sniffs* the UFO at the end represents a rorschach test for the viewer. the reactionary mind sees grief and loss, the true seeker knows the UFO here represents Hope, and the moment of transcendence. the warm C major resonating on the soundtrack at the exact moment the mother ship appears above the protagonists is our cue; we need not be afraid, but we must dare to Hope.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

The Avengers because its about how good guys triumph over evil

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Egg Moron posted:

Rollerball[ (1975)
and it understands that nothing matters

Learn more about Rollerball at your local library

Egg Moron posted:

Zardoz 1974

Zardoz is about owning the libs.
loving sick!

Quetzadilla posted:

Thanks for these. Gunna check them out. Also never saw Soylent Green even though I'm very much aware of the plot/meme. It's kinda crazy how much anti-corp/capitalism movies were in the 70s and 80s. Like for gently caress sake, even National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is all about some workers being shafted out of their christmas bonus and even the cops going 'hey man thats hosed up' and now "jelly of the month" is about the most you can even look forward to, if anything lmao.

somewhere by the end of the 80s and early 90s hollywoo killed off the small/mid budget movies and focused more on gen x/boomer ~ennui of da working middle class life~ and neglecting all that poo poo in favor of ~woe is me~ and divorced dad/mom bullshit

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Feb 15, 2021

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

network is a great movie. i also like how the only two characters who really know what's going on is the corporate CEO at the top and the stand-in for angela davis who has no illusions but skeptically agrees on a licensing deal to get that :10bux:
network is fantastic
like most movies, it could cut out the heterosexuality and be better

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I tried to watch Vast of Night and the dialogue was so lovely and repetitive and the acting so poor I gave up within about 12 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

I tried to watch Vast of Night and the dialogue was so lovely and repetitive and the acting so poor I gave up within about 12 minutes

I enjoyed it but it was nothing amazing. Kinda a fun throwback to 195-60s sci-fi flicks and not a bad way to kill an hr and ah alf