Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I took a look at the adventure in the starter box and didn't see any recommendations for number of players. Should I assume 3-4 would be ideal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea you can run it with most any size as long as you're not going insane and doing like a 12 person party but it plays best with average sized groups of about 4 or 5 yea

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Lemon-Lime posted:

The paper quality on the core book is odd - I'm used to glossy paper for high-production-value hardbacks, but Fria Ligan decided to go with what feels like completely uncoated paper?

It made the book feel oddly fragile when I started leafing through it, but the grammage is solid and the papery texture actually does contribute to the rulebook feeling like you're perusing a tome and not reading a textbook.

I think that's the same paper type they used in the Tales from the Loop books. On the one hand, I think that the Alien book is TOO glossy with the black backgrounds and is hard to read sometimes, but on the other hand, I think that paper doesn't really do justice to Stålenhag's art. Either way, I think I'm going to pick TOR up at some point. What are people's play experiences with it like? Anyone running a campaign?

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Really tempted to pick this up after being on a bit of a lotr binge recently - are the solo rules included in the core rules? And are they any good?

I'd like to get my head round the system before trying to attempt to run it and that seems like an excellent way to do it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Fake Name posted:

Really tempted to pick this up after being on a bit of a lotr binge recently - are the solo rules included in the core rules? And are they any good?

I'd like to get my head round the system before trying to attempt to run it and that seems like an excellent way to do it.

The solo rules are not out yet, no.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Thanks for confirming - that explains why some brief googling whilst working didn't turn up anything.

Are there any good actual play podcasts for the game? Or tips for someone thinking of running the system for the first time?

radlum
May 13, 2013
Played the starter box yesterday with some friends. They managed to complete the first quest (had to add some drama to make it a bit more exciting); it was pretty cool! I want to play a more complex adventure so I’ll try to think of something for a future session.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I kicked off a campaign with a short session zero, in which a Hobbit Warden, a Ranger Treasure-Hunter, a Breewoman Messenger and a High Elf Scholar went looking for a lost merchant, and found him being kept hostage by some rather scruffy bandits. The session happened without any combat whatsoever, the Ranger simply sneaked in and freed the prisoners.

At this point I kinda like the new emphasis on the attributes, favored rolls and skills, and all the little things characters get. Though it does feel weird that there's no Specialities anymore, since I always felt those were fun and served to make characters more distinct. I'll likely adapt the mini-campaign from the 1st ed Bree book, as the High Elf is an artificer who's loving about in Bree-land looking for interesting items and relics, and that thing is rather well-suited for it. I've warmed on the Eriador map despite the awful layout of the letters. We'll test Travel rules a bit next sesh, when we're joined by a Dorf Champion, who's backstory is that he's looking for a lost Dwarf he swore to keep safe.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Hell yeah! Excited to hear how it goes.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Re-reading the 1st Ed Bree book: Gorlanc is a great villain. It's like someone bought Saruman from Wish.com.

There's some distinctly weird choices in some of the TOR books, like the first adventure in Ruins of the North takes the players to Carn Dûm which feels like uh, maybe build up to that a bit? Gorlanc is cool tho because he's an evil guy and a local threat who's also a low-rent scumbag with pretentions of greatness, and fighting a guy who is dressed in a hobbit's bathrobe for the finale is a good mental image.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Did the solo rules come out? I feel like I saw they did, is that what the Strider mode is? Anyone give it a go?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

HopperUK posted:

Did the solo rules come out? I feel like I saw they did, is that what the Strider mode is? Anyone give it a go?

Yes, it's Strider Mode. I've heard very good things but haven't yet read it myself. There have been at least few APs done that I see getting posted to one or the other of the TOR subreddits, which I have also failed to watch/listen to.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Trip Report:

I ran Old Skin and Old Bones last night for my group, the Ranger in my group was unfortunately absent, but we got a new player who plays a Dorf Champion.

It turned out to be a quite hilarious bit that was also kinda lacking in gravitas, but my group just rolled with it. They racked up gigantic amounts of fatigue tracking the troll, and it turned out that the scenario doesn't really plan for players coming up with alternative solutions. They got the warning from the Ranger Haleth that the Old Troll has foul magic, if they fight it in his troll cave, so after they found the cave, they built a pyre to smoke the troll out of the cave, and spent a bunch of Battle rolls setting up logs to roll at the troll, so I figured they'd get three Opening Volleys: one from doing an ambush, one as usual, one for having good weapons and tactics. Since I converted the troll using the 2nd ed Troll rules, I figured they'd have some trouble with it, what with trolls being able to pop back to full endurance, but I figured a good fight was worth it.

The Breewoman 360noscoped the troll with her third bow shot, and Wounded it straight off the bat. First round of melee, the Hobbit is the third one to attack and hit the troll, and causes a second wound immediately. Troll dies without actually having done anything. They retrieve the treasure map and go hunting for the eaten uncle's treasure, and end up fighting the Dwarf out for blood and his henchmen outside the barrow, and doing a real poo poo job at it too: the High Elf got wounded, and barely avoided another wound. After the Dwarf Gror was dead, and three of his henchmen gone, the other two dudes fled.

It's a drat bizarre adventure really, since the players aren't really strongly motivated to do anything but my players basically rolled with it.

The Elf also rolled double Saurons on his first Magical Treasure roll and found a spear and a lantern, and is now sitting at 7 Shadow with 8 Hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZiEAdpX3_o

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

The first non-KS expansion to the game was announced, it's adventures as expected:

https://twitter.com/FreeLeaguePub/status/1633105219989954565

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
Has anyone tried The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying 5E game? I'm curious and since it's based on 5e, might be easier for my players to try it instead of One Ring