Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kemper Boyd posted:

Resurrecting my thread to post this:

There's an Eriador map preview and it kinda sucks. Luckily they're reconsidering it, because it is awful.

Otherwise, it looks like the KS is rolling along rather nicely and they're on schedule for everything.

wow thats bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm not a big fan of the setting change; Eriador is much less interesting than Rhovanion just because it's such well-trodden ground.

The mechanical changes do seem pretty solid, though, agreed.

For me I find the setting change good since my plan is to play with people who are not huge fans of the books like I am. They have a bit more familiarity with the stuff there. To me it has potential since there is all kinds of stuff to get up to in the north.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Kemper Boyd posted:

Ok so the PDFs for the Starter Kit, Rivendell and the Core are out and first impressions in no particular order:

- The art's good, but I keep missing the Vibe that wosshisname brought to the C7 edition, and not being full color is sad
- I like the inclusion of lots of random tables to come up with poo poo happening during travel
- Rule changes seem to be generally good
- I'm a big dummy but I think I might love it
- It puts some interesting vibrancy into Eriador which I think the first edition's Eriador stuff lacked, it feels more naturalistic than 1st Ed's version of the same as a setting, generally getting the vibe that there's a lot going on in Eriador that isn't present in LOTR itself because most of the time Strider and the Hobbits are loving about in the wilderness, trying to avoid people, so it would make sense they'd avoid stuff like homesteads etc that might be around

Thats why im excited for the setting. It's always been my personal interpretation that while Eriador is full of wilderness, it would not be actually Empty. The elves would have to have significant infrastructure in the grey havens, given the dwarves there as well. there would be humans in the surrounding areas. There would also be plenty of homesteads, small communities, and other groups along the East West Road and the Greenway. Rivendell would also likely have more people in and around it than just The Last Homely House since otherwise Sauron would just zergrush them down.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I got my stuff today. I just had a brief look through the starter set but it looks quite nice.

Oh poo poo i'll have to watch for that, thanks!