Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

KVeezy3 posted:

I’m not too familiar with Smallville,

Smallville is fascinating but it's also unbelievably bad and it runs for 10 seasons of 20+ episodes each, which means that much as I'd love to hear more people's takes on it I can't really ask them to suffer through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Darko posted:

Smallville made Jon Kent the greatest villain in DC. He created Lex, etc.

Which is why I got so confused that people were so mad about Costner and his "I dont know" in MoS.

Clark and Lana having to give up on each other because she's literally toxic to him is one of the greatest unintentional(?) punchlines in television but you need like seven seasons of unbelievable trash to appreciate it

it's also probably one of the key vectors of the Joss Whedonification of superhero media. that show wants to be Buffy the Vampire Slayer so goddamn bad you can taste it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i prefer portrayals of Darkseid that lean more towards ostentatious than drab, and more "he's worshiped by the people he oppresses to such a degree that they won't allow themselves to be saved" vs. how this movie seems to be going more for Apokolips as an industrial insect hive with no individuality at all except for the rulers

but that's a judgment in a vacuum, i can wait and see how this actually plays out in context

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I know two things about Darkseid from osmosis: he dresses like an idiot and he loves reclining on couches

whomst among us

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

McCloud posted:

The insect hive thing ties back to Krypton though, and also kind of, to earth, so it kind of makes sense as a thematic throughline. Plus his whole thing is trying to subvert the free will of sentient beings and replace it with his own, the hive mind thing ties neatly into that too.

yeah in much the same way that MoS is a Superman who's just starting out and doesn't have the effortless command of his own power a la All Star Superman or whatever, this is (presumably) a Darkseid who has just about fully realized his goal

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Barreft posted:

I've just never seen such slavish loyalty to one person. The Snyder poo poo just reminds me of Trump/Elon/Roberts idol worship. Like I'm sure there's many out there defending Joss Whedon as well, which is just as weird.

e: eh

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sucker Punch is an ambitious experiment that falls distinctly short of its goals (in large part due to studio interference, but still). It's my favorite for exactly that reason, though. Mess is interesting, and watching someone sincerely criticize the worst parts of the things they love is a good cause as well. I honestly can't wait for the guy to get away from superhero stuff and produce another original work like that, or at least something where the source material is a little less clearly defined (like this rumored upcoming King Arthur movie.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

BiggestBatman posted:

Julia Roberts?

Chris Roberts. Which kind of gives away how stupid the comparison is, because the Snyder Cut actually exists. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Roth posted:

What is the aspect ratio and framerate of real life?

planck time is basically a single frame IRL

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

And our eyes evolved backwards so all the blood vessels that feed the eye are in front of the retina. Our brain filters them out and fills in the missing pieces otherwise we’d be looking through a field of blood vessels all the time.

In fairness, the more you learn about human perception and memory, the easier it is to have a little sympathy for how bad people are at watching movies. :haw:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pissing people off drives clicks too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

BiggestBatman posted:

I love Jupiter Ascending I've always loved Jupiter Ascending

yeah i just can't hate a movie where Sean Bean explains that he can instinctively detect royalty because he's part bee

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Roth posted:

Give Wonder Woman 3 to Cathy Yan

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

Is this thread an elaborate Bizarro roleplay?

turn on ur monitor

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lmao

i loved the movie but this is fantastic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

weekly font posted:

This is absolutely canon to The Lighthouse

now i'm imagining a world where Robert Pattinson was Batman all along

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

So uh, I just started watching JL and it seems to be playing in 4:3 format. It’s not scrunched up, and it’s not my TV as other content is fine. Is this normal?

Yeah. Intentional choice, whether it was a good one is a circular argument that just happened a few pages ago. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

does Diana's lasso compel honesty or literal truth-telling

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: wrong snyder-thread

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Its Chocolate posted:

this is a really bizarre interpretation but why DID Martian Manhunter do that? did he know that Superman would go nuts and Lois needed to be there and was using reverse psychology on her?

I don't think he necessarily needs foreknowledge. Martian Manhunter's whole deal since his first appearance as Swanwick in MoS has been that he wants to control or at least keep tabs on Superman.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lex: i can control Superman by using Martha

Superman: i can get Batman to relate to my humanity by mentioning Martha

Martian Manhunter: oh okay i see how this works

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

a fair point, but if we're grading on a curve Sucker Punch is worse than anything in any cut of this movie

Sucker Punch is Snyder's best film and both better than, and a critique of, the entire narrative and aesthetic standard that Whedon represents

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Nice enough to be the smiling face of the US military and executive. Not sure what to make of manhunter here at all, it’s a very unusual take on the character.

it is kind of funny that in this film the U.S. military is infiltrated by little green men up to the highest levels of command and it's, like, such a minor sub-plot that you could cut it without hardly affecting the rest of the story at all

teagone posted:

Sucker Punch is an indictment of the Joss Whedon "brand" of feminism and fans of Whedon's poo poo. Its message is delivered sloppily, but it absolutely is there.

i wouldn't even say sloppy -- more like "blunted" or maybe "uncharacteristically subtle by Snyder's standards, to its detriment"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

What if it is Zeus? The actual God Zeus, all pissed off that nobody cares about Zeus anymore?

that scene is set 5000 years ago, right? isn't that peak "people caring about Zeus?"

e: some cursory googling suggests that actually that might be pre-Zeus worship in ancient Greece

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i want to know the story of the 7-foot-tall woman with the fire hands

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"superheroes are cops" is hardly an original take but CW Flash literally has his own private gitmo lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gatts posted:

Lmao exactly. Martha should be the key to combat the anti life equation

the grand finale of the entire Justice League series is a Martha Kent vs. Granny Goodness showdown

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Trying to locate the problem in the actual contents and properties of the movies is a waste of time. The people you're arguing with mostly don't know or care what they are either.

e: Like there are fair criticisms of any and all of them, but anyone talking about "grimdark" or objectivist Superman or whatever can be traced back to some moronic outrage farmer on YouTube.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 22, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

I also think it's his best film. You also wrote that the film could be described as 'blunt', which I think is apt. The idea that the film is muddled in its messaging is mostly rooted in its serious commitment to the harrowing subject matter. It's just not really addressed in our culture, never-mind in what should be a schlocky genre action film.

You might be giving me too much credit here; I said it was "blunted", like a weapon made safe for practicing with. I think Sucker Punch as presented still has a clear message, but it expects the viewer to do a lot of the follow-through themselves to get there -- which is all well and good, but the extended cut (and even moreso the unreleased / partially unfilmed director's cut & original ending that Snyder has mentioned once or twice) do (and would presumably have) made it a lot less ambivalent, which would have been more to my taste.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm like insanely hype for this.

I have my misgivings about Ava DuVernay but yeah that's a really good match of talent to subject matter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

After like 8 years I still don't know what makes people so angry about Snyder.

The comparison to Lucas is apt, and I think there's also something similar going on with how people reacted to Ridley Scott and Prometheus.

There's something about the way people relate to these, sorta, foundational pillars of nerd culture like Alien or Star Wars or Superman that starts to feel threatened when either the original creator of the work (or even worse, a bigger fan than them) does something that they perceive as taking away their ownership of the material. It's extremely territorial in nature.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Ridley, George, and Zack are definitely on the Cined Mt. Rushmore.

To be fair you can see the same phenomenon happen with genuinely lovely, forgettable movies -- take the Ghostbusters remake, for example. It's just that those don't generally spawn much of a fanbase and as such the controversy dies out much quicker.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

insofar as Snyder did anything to invite this hate -- as opposed to just having the misfortune to have laid hands on zombies, Watchmen, and Superman, how dare he -- it's that he really obviously does understand the history of those characters and stories inside and out and displays this knowledge and lore constantly, visually quoting decades' worth of comic book references and so on.

he's a bigger loving nerd than his audience and this very fact brings out something competitive

e: i can't buy that it's his politics either, because, as anyone who's read his interviews should be able to tell, he's a completely bog-standard liberal. his movies have some nods towards the international and systemic nature of the problems the world is facing, and that's a good first step, but it's not like he's some kind of communist auteur, any more than he's a fascist lol. he's almost comically inoffensive, at least relative to the mainstream American baseline

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 24, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Another two directors who I consider somewhat superficially similar to Snyder et al. are the Wachowskis. I don't remember the Matrix sequels getting quite the level of hate as some of the films mentioned, but there was kind of a similar vibe of nerd frustration about them.

the way the metaphor that the Wachowski sisters used to describe the experience of subaltern frustration and, in particular, being trans got transformed into MRA bullshit is really sad and grotesque

and also a perfect example of the kind of "territorializing" behavior i'm describing when it succeeds at its goals

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Taintrunner, guy who obnoxiously attacked anyone he thought was insufficiently leftist, not only turned out to be a sex pest but also crashed at Sady Doyle's place, who wrote the original Bernie Bro article. It's extremely possible that he was the inspiration.

lmao what the gently caress

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why has this goddamn forum ended up being the epicenter for American politics since 9/11?

there's no such thing as apolitical media

the bigger question is "why are TVIV / Book Barn / ADTRW so pathologically apolitical" and the answer is mostly "cowardice" :v:

e: if you meant SA in general and not CineD specifically, then it's probably because C-SPAM drives more traffic than the entire rest of the site combined. SA's primary relevance to the greater internet is that even in its current state of decline it's one of the bigger left-wing social spaces on the web, as hilarious as that sounds given the site's history

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 24, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

teagone posted:

According to IGN, 24 minutes and 7 seconds of ZSJL is in slow motion. Lmao.

release the Real-Time Cut

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The whole scene is very discomforting. Basically the movies opening action scene is WW murdering these terrorists and then smiling about it to the kids. She leaves visible bloody marks on the walls where she uses her powers unrestrained to just crush skulls and vaporize the one guy with her gauntlets.

Kids cheer. Just a really weird tone.

it owns, because that's basically characterization of Wonder Woman (and consistent with BvS and the original WW film, at least)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i don't think Snyder's take on Wonder Woman is that she's a female Homelander, but there definitely is a bit of a "live by the sword, die by the sword" vibe there, especially with her funeral scene in the vision of the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TLJ is gorgeous but I wanted a movie that would actually commit to condemning the Jedi ideology and it whiffed that hard

which isn't an entirely fair criticism because it's very much "it's not this other movie I wanted it to be" but still