Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bringing back a sex pest to do an internet meme. It's like Joss Whedon never left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

It probably wont happen but would really love Darkseid to say some wild 4th world world dialogue like "I am the tiger-force at the core of all things"

I would also adore that, though at heart I feel like Jack Kirby and Grant Morrison are really the only ones who can capture that level of WTF.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knightmare is no more ridiculous or silly than most Batman titles TBH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It's bullshit it was Pratt and not him

Could the same not be said of every role Chris Pratt has?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

josh04 posted:

Just so this post doesn't go completely unanswered, yeah it sucks that Leto is widely considered to have taken advantage of underage fans and hopefully there'll be some restitution for that sooner rather than later.

Oh, I know people are aware, I just couldn't pass up the chance to throw poo poo at Joss Whedon and Jerid Leto in the same sentence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

I think we all know that when people complain about these movies not being fun, what is actually being said is that they're unhappy that these films aren't power fantasies that make them feel good. It's why there's so much focus on Superman not smiling and being "dour", they don't feel reassured that he's having a good time! They want Superman as the warm father figure that they can depend on to save the day, and a Batman that brutalizes and cripples criminals, but in a heart of gold kind of way, ya know

It's honestly baffling how there's this weird expectation that every superhero movie needs to be FUN and drip in self effacing irony. Doubly so considering Josstice League was exactly that kind of movie, and that flopped.

The films are still power fantasies though? Like through and through. Batman in particular will never escape being a power fantasy and even if BvS gives him the Space Racism angle they also give him tons of scenes showing how cool and awesome he is. Superman is still plenty power fantasy, it's just the more angsty "why don't people see" kind of power fantasy. And Wonder Woman basically exists to swoop in with a kickin' rad theme and kick the poo poo out of a monster and look neat doing it.

There is nothing not power fantasy about the Snyder movies. They represent flawed characters but that does not preclude the other because there is a large genre of power fantasy which revolves around that and uses it as melodrama fuel. There are absolutely people for who the Snyder films are fun power fantasy. You can argue they are misreading the film but when the film goes out of its way to present Batman kicking the rear end of a room full of people in brutal violent ways as Fuckin' Sweet there is at least some element of that there.

The major difference is largely what people want in their power fantasy. Snyder's films are very focused on the idea of the Great People who stand above and the difficulties they face from jealousy, spite and hatred, whereas Marvel has decided to go all-in on the idea of 'normal people' who obtain great power. Both are power fantasies it just depends on what flavor of power fantasy you enjoy.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 15, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bullbar posted:

What can I say I like the flash

You mean the guy who attacked and choked someone?

Ezra Miller is lower on the list of People Who Shouldn't Be Getting Acting Work than some of the other co-stars but he's still a piece of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Difference being that those weren't directed by Zack Snyder. People don't like him for some reason and there's a reason why folks mockingly post about the Randian Objectivist poo poo - there's an industry of hot-takes about the filmmaker's politics from youtubers, bloggers and the like. Yeah, psycho-analysis of people not liking the film in general terms isn't good form, but people do it to Zack Snyder and his fanbase all the time. But also keep in mind that "not my superman" talking point was a thing because that's what it boiled down to. When the Snydercut was announced you had a lot of people talking about rewarding a toxic fanbase in the same tone as they'd talk about Trump both-siding literal neo-nazis and Antifa. All fanbases have bad apples and I wouldn't lump TLJ fans with the same Star Wars fans that were pieces of poo poo to the actresses who starred in that film. You can see why people get defensive when people do that.

All just feel like caveats to rationalize the main point of "I did not like this adaptation of this character". The reason why the discourse is so lovely is because of overzealous Zack Snyder fans on social media and people profiling the filmmaker as some super Objectivist Fascist. Things would be a whole lot more pleasant if those two groups understood that not everyone has to like their film/filmmaker and it's okay to understand that this adaptation isn't for you and to move on. A lot of criticisms at this point have devolved into meme so if you engage in good faith chances are you'll just get some meme in return expecting to understand "why it's bad" or whatever.

I don't like Snyder because he makes rape jokes and hires abusers. There are precious few directors I genuinely like because a lot of them are loving awful people who have openly either contributed to or ignored Hollywood's history of abuse. It is possible to dislike a director and still think positively of their work but not everyone is going to be able to get over that hill. God knows I've had a hard time enjoying a lot of movies these days because the odds that a rapist or monster is going to be put in a sympathetic role is hard for me to get past. Justice League is a little worse than most but it isn't like Avengers doesn't have Jeremy loving Renner and Chris Pratt (not to mention much worse director Joss Whedon) just off the top of my head.

Acting like anyone who dislikes Snyder's behavior is just upset about Superman Portrayal is frustrating because Snyder has done some genuinely lovely stuff. Again not anywhere as bad as the OTHER Justice League director but I don't think anyone in this or any other thread is going to bat for Joss Whedon anytime soon.

And I actually like Man of Steel and my primary problem with BvS is that it focuses so much on Batman and shoehorns in a bunch of Justice League setup that detracts from the movie less than anything else. Snyder is an excellent director visually and I'm at least curious to see what he does, but him intentionally going out of his way to hire on Leto is a huge black mark to me and makes it harder for me to justify supporting The Snyder Cut when one of their primary marketing tools is Leto.

I'm probably going to end up watching it anyway because I'm a lovely nerd and the curiosity is overwhelming but it's super depressing in a way Amber Heard isn't because instead of having someone cast ages ago in existing footage it's bringing back someone who had already been removed to film new footage.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 15, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Rape jokes? :confused: Snyder can barely bring himself to say a naughty word in most of the interviews I've seen

"Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not a joke but I'm guessing it's about what he'd have had happened to Batman in prison

If it isn't a joke then that is even worse. "Man, how do I make a superhero movie dark? I have someone get raped" is an abhorrent thing to say and something a lot of comic writers are rightly criticized for using carelessly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

drat, the one quote from over a decade ago.

I heard James Gunn has some tweets you're going to hate.

Those were also lovely jokes. He has long since apologized for them where Zach Snyder has not. He is also the same guy who said "You said you enjoyed the theatrical cut of Justice League like you enjoy your Saturday morning cartoons… Well this is made for grownups, so you’re not in the demographic. Also, cool of you to comment on a leaked teaser" which is in fact the exact same attitude people criticize from the bad segment of the Snyder fandom. He isn't Mr. Rogers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

well why not posted:

why is it bad for a film maker to discuss hypothetical scenes in a film? Are you saying that it makes light of real rape? I do not follow you here.

When discussing how you make a movie about a man in a bat suit dark your answer is "include rape" then yes, that is lovely. This isn't unique to Snyder and Alan Moore (to use a similar example) has been largely and heavily criticized lately for doing exactly that. The Killing Joke may be one of the most influential Batman stories ever but it still features a scene where Barbara Gordon is sexually terrorized by The Joker which is both unnecessary and disgusting considering it comes right after he shoots her which is horrifying enough on its own without the needless inclusion of sexual terror.

The Cameo posted:

One of the most beloved movies of the last thirty years has prison rape as a major plot point in the first half.

“I’d like to say Andy fought the good fight, and the Sisters let him be. I wish I could tell you that. But prison is no fairy-tale world. He never said who did it, but we all knew.”

There is a significant difference between how the Shawshank Redemption handles it (and to be honest The Shawkshank Redemption playing into the 'evil rapist prisoners' stereotype has aged like poo poo) and doing it in a superhero movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Saying Snyders Superman is empowering is certainly a strange take, unless one finds it empowering to constantly be questioned, belittled or demonized by Society. He's constantly second guessing himself, unsure of how to best go about helping people who have legitimate reasons to be scared shitless of him. Even when he uses his powers, arguably what the power fantasy about Superman centers around, it comes off as almost horrifying and scary, it's more akin to a natural disaster than anything else.

Have you ever heard of The X-Men? Being an outsider who is rejected by society but having the power to ignore that is totally a power fantasy. Even the melodrama and angst that goes with it is part of the fantasy. If it wasn't then nobody would want to be any of the X-Men, even ignoring the fact the majority of them are superpowerful supermodels.

McCloud posted:

Batman is portrayed as a violent sociopath vigilante that prowls on the underclass and commits extrajudicial violence while the cops look the other way, and he's deranged enough that he now outright plans to commit premeditated murder. Yeah, he looks cool while he kicks a dude into a grenade he's still portrayed unsympathetically for large portions of the film. Him being a broken person is very much not part of a power fantasy, kickass action sequence not withstanding. Like, the "fantasy" of Batman is that of a super ninja with a moral code who has tons of cool toys and can "Disable you 25 ways, 2 are lethal, 4 really hurt" and then cripple a dude, but will never kill, because he's a good guy, honest! Him killing is voiding the fantasy, because that's the one figleaf people have of him being a hero, and you take that away and there's no hero left, just a bully. :

Again, this really doesn't mesh because this argument would suggest Batman is almost never a power fantasy. It's just a different kind of power fantasy. The Punisher is also a power fantasy and he is a literal violent sociopath vigilante who does all those things and is known for killing. Even in versions where he is portrayed as his most broken and awful it still goes out of its way to show how cool he is when he kills people and works to give the viewer a sense of satisfaction when he murders the Real Bad Guys. You're not removing the power fantasy by having Batman kill people, you're just shifting it even more over to the Punisher then most modern Batman already is.

I am not saying this is a wrong interpretation of Batman. It is absolutely not and certainly the "billionare who beats up poor people" thing has gotten worse and worse over the years. But it absolutely is a power fantasy and even the elements of being broken or hosed up don't prevent it from being a fantasy when it plays so hard into those elements.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 15, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Snyder did not put prison rape in a super hero movie, he used it in a interview as an example of a “dark” story you could do in a setting such as the Watchmen universe.

At a certain point you’re asking the guy to apologize for mentioning the fact that prison rape is a thing that exists in too flippant a manner

The issue isn't that he mentioned it as a thing, it is that he specifically said it would be something he would include in a 'dark' Batman movie.

Guy A. Person posted:

Like ImpAtom, someone said they liked the Flash and you said “you mean the character played by a woman assaulter!?

What are you trying to accomplish here if not making people feel morally wrong for liking the wrong brand of super hero movies

I'm not trying to accomplish anything? Like I don't have some Big End Goal Here. I just like discussing things. If I had one wish related to the Snyder Cut it would be to get Leto removed from the movie so I could watch it and not feel so crappy about it but that ain't happening on the SA forums so it's mostly discussion. if I let some of my anger at the Leto thing leak into other things I apologize for that, but it's a pretty sore spot for me.

brawleh posted:

All this power fantasy crap aside, is this just another re-run of Batman Doesn't Kill again? because goddamnit.

No? Batman and The Punisher are just very similar concepts. Batman's "doesn't kill" thing separates him from the Punisher but it isn't like Batman is a great concept even with it. "He kills" is a pretty minor thing to add onto "An extremely wealthy white billionare uses his enormous wealth to terrorize people" as far as those things go. Batman as a member of the Justice League these days is something I find a lot easier to enjoy than Batman as a vigilante crime fighter. (And yes, Iron man also sucks and while I enjoyed Iron Man 3 as a film it's much harder/impossible to watch these days both in concept and because the director is a shithead guy who hires abusers.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 15, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Snyder's also perfectly willing to cut abusers from his movies. Tig Notaro replaced Chris D'Elia in Army of the Dead after the stuff about him surfaced. Having Leto and Miller in Justice League is unfortunate, and if this was a one-off production rather than the capstone of a franchise Snyder's spent years working on, he might recast them too.

I can understand this argument for Heard and Miller but he specifically hired Leto for new scenes that weren't in the original cut. That is a big part of why this is frustrating. "Cut Joker Scene included" is eh but at least doesn't involve actively going out of your way to do it. I should probably drop it but it's absolutely a sticking point for me so I'll try to avoid bringing it up if I can. Sorry for being an rear end in this thread.

Robot Style posted:

Snyder's also perfectly willing to cut abusers from his movies. Tig Notaro replaced Chris D'Elia in Army of the Dead after the stuff about him surfaced. Having Leto and Miller in Justice League is unfortunate, and if this was a one-off production rather than the capstone of a franchise Snyder's spent years working on, he might recast them too.

Well, we'll see. I know there's a lot of hope that if the Snyder Cut does well we might actually see a Part 2. I'd be down for it if it meant A) Ray Fisher gets more work and B) Those Other People don't.

Guy A. Person posted:

I don’t think that’s an accurate assessment, he’s talking about the Watchmen setting to contrast Nolan’s movies. He’s also had the opportunity to make this movie and it doesn’t seem like a thing that will happen in the R rated ZSJL.

Well then I apologize. I do think the Flash thing was a bit confrontational but in the end NBD

Nah, you were right to call me out. That was a lovely response from me and I am sorry to anyone who that made feel crappy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

IMO Superman and Batman are absolutely power fantasies, and no amount of angst is really going to change that, it's just inherent to the concept and will bleed into any work.

I honestly feel the exact opposite but for similar reasons. "Batman but now he just punches galactic space-dictators and has lunch with a martian" feels more problematic to me, because it's papering over the problematic facts of the character; that he's a mentally ill misanthrope that has decided he wants to hurt people in his favorite leather, and that's just accepted because he has the superpower "too rich to stop".

The stories that embrace the concept of "billionaire dresses up and maims poor people and mentally ill/physically deformed villains" feel more honest and less problematic to me, because instead of ignoring the problems with the character, it makes them the entire point.

The thing is that the latter still almost universally come to the conclusion of "Actually Batman is unique and different and it's important he exists." They don't address the elements so much as wave their hands at it and then follow up with "but it's okay."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

There's a big difference between finding some heroes relatable and their actions being a power fantasy. They overlap at times yes, but they are not one and the same. Also key here, is that the X-men use their powers to stand up to their tormenters. The power fantasy isn't "the melodrama and angst", it's standing up to your bullies. The X-men being ostracised is relatable, the X-men using their powers to threaten the President of the United States to "Not gently caress with us" is the fantasy.

I never said that Batman killing removes the power fantasy, I said that Batman wasn't a power fantasy because he's portrayed as a lonely depressed, broken and miserable person
Punisher can be written as a power fantasy, sure. But if he's written as a horrible monster with little redeeming qualities that gruesomely executes people then I'd argue that no, that particular iteration isn't a power fantasy, it's just a story about him being an rear end in a top hat. If this Batman is a power fantasy I don't think he's a particularly good one. That said, the warehouse scene is clearly meant to be a cool scene, I just don't think it makes up for...well, everything else.

Regarding the Leto thing, I do think the simplest explanation is that Snyder either doesn't believe the rumors around Leto or doesn't want to take action unless there's actually someone that steps forward. Perhaps he just doesn't want to fire someone based on rumors :shrug:

The issue here I think with both Batman and the Punisher is that at the end of the day they are considered heroes. The Punisher is an 'anti-hero' but even at his worst and most disgusting he is specifically framed as being a force that targets terrible people and most versions stick hard and fast to the idea that the Punisher doesn't kill innocent people, even ones where he's horribly gutting and torturing people. You and I both would say "oh god what he did is horrible" but depending how it is portrayed it can also be designed as a power fantasy. With the reveal and with the worst violence usually targeted at horrible people it fills people's desire to be able to physically act out in a way they can't do in reality. And that's at the absolute worst.

You may think that the tragic state of the character doesn't make it a fantasy but for some people the tragedy is part of the fantasy. It's weird to think of it but it is. There is an appeal someone being sad or miserable or broken but none the less having the ability to enforce their will upon the world around them. At its lightest you get Peter Parker dealing with bills and everyday problems, at its darkest you get the most excessive kinds of Punisher. The fantasy isn't just in having power how you relate to that power.

Batman as presented in Batman v. Superman is a sad and broken individual who can't believe in the good of a person. He is humiliated and left feeling powerless and helpless in the face of someone stronger than him and then humbled by that same person's act of self-sacrifice. And that might be enough to defang him except...

He's right. Superman in-world is a threat to the planet held in check only by Lois Lane. Literal time travel is necessary to prevent him from snapping and ravaging the world. His paranoia and fear, far from being merely the manipulations of Lex Luthor, are absolutely justified. Even beyond that when he is left powerless and humiliated he effectively pulls the equivalent of a Charles Atlas ad and comes back prepared to fight. And he wins. Straight up. He shows that he is singlehandedly capable of taking down a god as long as he goes in prepared and Superman has to be saved by the begging of his girlfriend and the unbelievable coincidence of them sharing a mother's name. Then, fresh from taking down Superman, he goes and singlehandedly kicks the rear end of an entire room full of well-trained thugs, saves Martha, helps fight Doomsday, convinces Wonder Woman to come back and helps found the Justice League. Even where he's wrong (Superman) he's still right too. (Superman in a world where Batman doesn't have the Justice League time travel does indeed become a horrific monster.)

The element of weakness is there but it's also punctuated by being able to stand up after that element of weakness and prove yourself right. He misjudged Superman (except he really didn't), he was made impotent and fearful by Superman (so he responded by coming exactly one Lois Lane away from killing him), and in general his problem is shown not to be his behavior but not having a good enough plan and foreknowledge. There's arguments to be made about him being spared by Superman not just eye lasering him from space but "Batman can totally beat Superman with prep time" is a fantasy that tends to ignore that option for a reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Superman wasn't even trying to fight back for most of the fight. He's just trying to get Batman's attention. A recurring theme of the movie is Superman not being able to get a word in because his mere presence makes people react in wild ways.

The coincidence of the mother's name isn't what stops Batman, it's the fact that he realized he became the very thing he was fighting against.

"Superman wasn't trying to kill Batman" is, as I said, not actually relevant to the Batman Beats Superman power fantasy, which almost universally just relies on the fact that Batman can kill Superman. The fight itself is based off the Dark Knight Returns fight where Batman has a power suit fueled by an entire city block, help from Green Arrow, and Superman is not actively trying to kill him and which ends with Batman dying from a heart attack (sort of) which is still held up as the ur "Batman can beat Superman" moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

That sequence is played as Batman brutally and viscerally beating up Jesus, and imo Batman comes off as more of a bully than any kind of savior, which is very much unlike DKR where he's the underdog fighting for freedom or w/e. The context differs a lot between those two iterations.

Batman absolutely comes across as a bully in DKR. Remember that DKR Superman isn't a villain. He's there because Batman has basically declared Gotham his kingdom. This is understandable because the government sucks but Superman isn't there to Take Batman Down if he can avoid it. He doesn't want to fight him at all and tries to reason with him throughout the entire fight. When he hears Bruce's heart start to go he panics and tries to warn him and that is when he gets a crippling beatdown.

And as Batman is stomping the helpless face of the man who showed him mercy, he thinks about how he wants Superman to remember how it feels to bleed and be helpless.

He absolutely does look like a bully because his goal is to make Superman feel scared and bleed. It's worth remembering the entire thing is a ploy so he can fake his death and go back into hiding. Making Superman hurt is just a side bonus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

DKR Superman has willingly become an enforcer of a corrupt US government, he's there because Reagan ordered him to apprehend Batman because he's making the government look bad, and whos actions are framed as trying to take back a city that's been more or less ceded to crime. This is in stark contrast to the BvS Superman who's there to try to talk some god drat sense into this weirdo so they can save his mom and where Batman eventually surrenders because even he realizes how far off the deep end he went.

There is an obvious swap between Batman defending the Status Quo in BvS versus Superman doing the same in DKR (which is why Batman and Superman both 'die' and then have an obvious moment at their graves) but that doesn't mean Batman wasn't acting similarly in both versions. In both cases Superman is displaying mercy and restraint which Batman uses to brutalize him with at least some genuine pleasure. In both cases Batman having Superman helpless entirely because Superman doesn't try to kill him is kind of the point. In DKR it's a bit more blunt but BvS Superman is the same guy who pulled the "do you bleed" card.

brawleh posted:

To back up here a little, cause this is what stood out to me as really weird. Just to make a direct comparison here between Marvel and Snyder.

Thor is straight-fowardly some god-like prince and heir apparent in some far flung future feudal society. Facing jealousy, spite and hatred from his brother Loki on his journey towards learning to rule with humility.

Clark/Kal is a child natural birth under a society driven by a strict caste and eugenics system that reinforce each other to a point of planetary and societal death. His parents' love is the only thing that saves him from a doomed fate. Where he goes on to save his adopted parents/planet from fascists who appear like ghosts from his past and an unwritten future - Not even to mention the major difficulties he faced growing up and coming to terms with who he is and what he can do.

I don’t know what the hell this normal people stuff is.

It is how the characters are presented. The earliest films (Iron Man and Thor) don't fit in as well because that was before they got their formula down, but you have seen them moving in that direction since. Thor has gone from a God to a schlubby overweight guy playing games with his friends. Iron Man was always a billionare but they started to position him as an antagonistic force. The bulk of the Marvel movies try very hard to focus on the Human part of their characters, not merely in the sense of having human genetics but in being 'normal.' This has always been true of Marvel comics to be fair but the movies are very true. Thor is not someone to be worshipped or feared. He's a guy you take selfies with. Iron Man is a billionare supergenius but he is mostly presented as Just Some Guy. Black Panther is probably the least 'normal' of the lot but they go out of their way to tie his actions to something relatable to the audience which is why making a youth center is treated as a significant plot point because it is more grounded than "cures cancer for the entire world and ends world hunger" despite the fact that it lessens the idea of Wakanda reaching out to the world.

In comparison DC is very in on the mythology. Superman is presented as a literal god and the bulk of the interactions we see with his parents or his upbringing are colored by the "a god in a world of men' aspect. The Jesus symbolism is absolutely not subtle with him. Wonder Woman is a diety. Cyborg is a man turned into something beyond a man, no longer feeling connected to his humanity because he has been touched by godly power. Aquaman is basically Water Thor. Batman, the man amongst gods, is as much a worshipper as a member, a nonbeliever who becomes a prophet. Their primary antagonists are gods, new and old. The story is framed as mythology and while the characters have humanizing moments they come secondary to their godliness. The Flash is the closest but the only time we've seen him in Snyderverse is when he literally breaks space and time to deliver a dire warning to Batman. I'll be interested to see what his role is because the Flash seems to be the guy who is barely mentioned.

This isn't wrong or bad for the DC universe. Morrison and Kirby are very much in line with the idea not merely of characters but those characters being Ideas and Concepts as much as they are people.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 15, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

there is nothing normal about being a war profiteer billionaire who invents futuretech power armor in a cave (WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS) and solves clean energy and builds a global response force of power-armor drones and builds enough power armors that he eventually has nanotechnology

You are pretty bluntly missing the actual point. No, Tony Stark is not a normal person but the films go out of the way to present him as one. He is a snarky quippy guy who likes Burger King and despite the fact his technology technically should revolution mankind and change who he is it really doesn't because presenting him as not meaningfully different from some guy you hang out with is part of the design. Again, it isn't about their power, it is about their presentation. You can see Whedon desperately trying to ape this in his Justice League where he tries to be #withit and have Lois Lane called thirsty and Superman taking vine videos and everyone has the same basically interchangeable attitude.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tony Stark wanted to build a racist planetary border wall and was later vindicated and given sainthood.

Unfortunately that is actually relatable to a significant portion of the US audience at bare minimum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

With Leto it's probably a Michael Fassbender situation - he's handsome and talented so the ugly rumours will get ignored until a shoe really drops

Aw poo poo is Fassbender a fuckhead too?

Robot Style posted:

Has Marvel ever had Thor condemn the white supremacist groups that utilize Norse mythology like they did with the Punisher skull stuff?

They haven't but a big part of that is that Thor has as much to do with Norse Mythology as Final Fantasy does. Beyond some names and references it's basically entirely its own thing. Punisher is a lot more, depressingly, specific.

They did have him attack Tony Stark for not helping during Hurricane Katrina though because Marvel.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 15, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

This is something that has always irked my about the “not my Superman” line of criticism. A lot of people take issue with the distrust Clark faces in MoS and BvS but It would be extremely loving weird if the whole world just sortve decided “godlike alien is good!!!” completely independent of each other.

I actually understand where you're coming from here. I'm not big on "not my superman" but I can explain why that doesn't bother me in other stories.

Superhero stories don't exist in reality. They exist in worlds where godlike beings exist but there is no real meaningful change in culture, history or technology. They are, for better or worse, dropped directly into the real world unchanged because they are ongoing serial stories meant to be set in some version of our reality. They are not meant to be plausible or realistic because they can't be. They would very rapidly become something far different and while that something far different could be super interesting it isn't what the stories are intended to be. (This is why Elseworlds tend to go so far in that direction because they can.) Stuff like In Astro City can do more with the concept because it isn't beholden to a realistic world that absolutely mirrors modern day.

At no point do I go into a DC or Marvel story expecting realism because it isn't something they can provide. Even Snyder's films basically assume a fairly normal world despite having backstory that is anathema to that because it isn't really easy to structure and create such a world. And that is *absolutely fine.* The story is the important part, not the plausibility thereof.

It's fine if that isn't the story you want to see but the reasoning behind it is that superhero stories are specifically structured not to do that, at least the kind DC and Marvel tell. Hell part of the reason Watchmen stood out and still kind of does is that it does show a world where superheroes existed and it basically changed a ton of things and even if all those changes aren't super plausible it's a world that can't be our world even in goofy little ways (like superhero comics being replaced by pirate comics.)

God drat it. Well, good to know at least. :smith:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 15, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

Yeah I get that, and to your point most of my favorite comic book stories tend to be one-offs or elsewhere titles because they get to be a lot more flexible with established characters. The MCU emulates this dynamic very well. It’s been pointed out a million times but Tony Stark basically invents free energy in the first iron man movie and it’s just sortve never brought up again but they can’t ever really do that because outside of the avengers trilogy they expect most of these movies to be watched in a vacuum.

To be honest most of my favorites are too for that same reason. I *like* a lot of superhero stories that are 'in-continuity' but when my list of favorites comes up a lot of them are stand-alone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

Smallville made Jon Kent the greatest villain in DC. He created Lex, etc.

Which is why I got so confused that people were so mad about Costner and his "I dont know" in MoS.

You assume most of those people watched more than two seasons of Smallville. I was a giant Superman nerd and had a tremendous crush on Michael Rosenbaum and even that couldn't keep me onboard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair that kind of ending is basically the only way to build hype for a sequel. It is a gamble but what isn't

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

I just want closure :negative:

My friend let me tell you about a little franchise called Shenmue...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

I feel the same way. I think the suits agreeing to put a not insubstantial amount of money into completing/marketing Justice League is partially meant to repair the working relationship with Snyder, so I'm fully ready to be brainwashed by the forthcoming The Fountainhead adaptation.

To be fair I feel like this wouldn't have happened if not for COVID because "restore the Snyder cut" probably is a more cost effective way, even considering the costs, to get something new out and use it to promote their home service since they decided to go All In on that. At very least it seems like it'd be significantly harder to do a sequel considering everything unless it does so absurdly well Snyder can demand people be cast no matter what. (Which to be honest is pretty unlikely because it's a home-streaming service movie that at least a portion of people have a vested interest in hating no matter what.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Uh, so I made the mistake of looking at a twitter thread about the Tom and Jerry fuckup/partial leak, and i have to say: don't do that.

Twitter stans are just hardcore conspiracy theorists at this point. I wish it was just Snyder ppl, but I'm pretty much sure it isnt. The internet has just broken so many people.

Yeah I see people arguing that the leak was actually WB intentionally trying to ruin Zach Snyder because... something something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Honestly, it's the thing I'm most excited for. As long as I get a solid Cyborg story, I don't care about the movie around it. And I have barely any knowledge of Cyborg as a character, I was so disheartened when I heard what happened to his character in the Whedon cut.

As a side note if you want to see a solid Cyborg story I really recommend giving The Doom Patrol TV series a shot. It does a fantastic job with Cyborg and is probably one of the high water marks of a depiction of his character that isn't the somewhat goofy Teen Titans animated version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People can be more than one thing and don't divide neatly into Good or Evil. Zach Snyder can be a talented director who cares about his actors and also associate with lovely people. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Trying to paint him as a perfect messiah with no flaws is dumb because at the end of the day he's a human being.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How do we know deathstroke isn't just a halo fan

Because Deathstroke is very clearly a Shadow Warrior fan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Racist?

Slade Wilson is an extremely old arrogant white dude. Yeah, probably.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It must be nice to be Zach Snyder because if an obsessives fan insists they seen shapes in random configurations of light you can just go "Yep that was planned" and it sounds entirely plausible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I'm surprised no one caught that the S in Superman's suit stands for Snyder.

Oh my planet it means "ZSHope."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

There was a bit in the BvS stream he did when he offhandedly mentioned that a hole in a wall (when Batman slaps Superman around) that vaguely resembled a whale was a reference to the earlier moby dick reference and he's all like "but that was just a hole that looked like a shrimp, didn't mean anything"

If it was me I'd have rolled with it

I mean I can't lie I would too. I would be a crappy famous creator. If you asked me if a character was wearing spandex as a metaphor for the repression of the male form in media I'd be like "Yeah sure that sounds about right."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overall I enjoyed it but I think MoS is still Snyder's best DC work. Honestly I think a huge number of the problems I have with this movie boil down to specific acting choices or the fact it is somewhere between an hour to an hour and a half longer than it can actually sustain and meanders in the wrong places.

My biggest regret is that at the end of the day Cyborg was significantly better than the Whedon version but still not that particularly great. I feel bad saying it because I really wanted Cyborg to come out of the movie with insane levels of hype as a gently caress you to WB and a chance for Ray Fisher to get something out of that whole mess, but he's just... good? Fine? He's not the standout of the film at all . (Wonder Woman and Batman, I would argue, largely steal the show.) He isn't bad, he isn't great, he's just kind of an good part of the ensemble which isn't a bad thing but he really doesn't feel like the heart of the film like he was hyped up before release.

If the rumored sequel does happen I really hope it isn't another 4 hour cut. There are a lot of great scenes in the Snyder Cut but they are diluted enough that they don't have as much impact as they should.

Jared Leto still had no loving reason to be the Joker ever again.

Edit: Also yes, the Martian Manhunter thing was a huge misstep. It actually dragged away from scenes in the film and felt entirely unnecessary. Also he really really did not look good.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 19, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

MM is one of the core characters of the League, they had to introduce him at some point. Clearly he was intended to be in JL2.

Green Lantern is the same and apparently Snyder wanted to get John Stewart in there but it didn't work out. Getting the full JL together should be a priority IMO. And its natural to want to grow your cast with new characters. (and sell more toys)

Probably hoping MM can be DC's Vision :cheeky:

I couldn't agree less. You shouldn't be including people just to check off boxes on the list. If Martian Manhunter is so important than he should be a part of the movie and not a glorified cameo, and if he isn't then you can probably wait. It isn't like there's a defined Justice League. The Snyder cast isn't the original JL cast, it isn't the cartoon cast, it isn't anything where they have to declare (x) is a Must Have. I love Martian Manhunter but the dude could have waited.

Edit: And on a similar note I think 'getting the Justice League together' isn't something that is a stopping process. Having a set unaltering cast of League members seems to miss the point of the league from a writing perspective.

Zaphod42 posted:

I felt like he was just loving around with Batman / saying how they've had a "relationship" of criminal and crime fighter (Joker is definitely a big part of Batman's character)

But it felt pretty :jerkbag: to me, and another example of queer coding a villain, which in cases like this feels less like character development and more like building them on homophobia. Like Moriarty in Sherlock.

Unfortunately there is a long history of doing exactly that with The Joker.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 19, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

The first time Martian Manhunter shows is one of the film's few fumbles, in my opinion. But the second time, just treat it like you would a mid-credit stinger in a Marvel film, but has the courtesy of just being in the epilogue.

I am admittedly of the opinion that Marvel stinger scenes suck rear end which probably colors that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

One thing I really loved was how visually creative they got with showing how fast Flash is. They didn’t just settle for doing the quicksilver slowmo thing but they also had these really great and flashy shots of him zipping and bouncing around with the camera struggling to keep up with him. I respect the fact that Snyder’s movies have CGI schlock that has some real expressiveness and impact to it rather than just kinda blurring together like most other CGI schlock does.

The worst part of any half-decent superhero movie is always the sequel-bait breadcrumbs they toss into the middle of the movies that have nothing to do with the rest of the plot. Doubly so when it’s a sequel that probably won’t ever happen. Or at least I don’t think it will? Who the gently caress knows how WB will treat this film in regards to “canon”

If nothing else it's difficult to imagine them not saying that Cyborg died on the way back to his home planet or was suddenly played by Will Smith all along.