Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Violator posted:

I hope this aspect ratio grows on me because right now I’m not liking it. Much prefer the whole screen be filled.

Wondering if the BvS IMAX version had to do some trickery to update some of the super wide shots, like the Doomsday/Superman eye blast showdown.

Those shots (and most of the rest of the move) would be projected letterboxed, since only a few sequences were filmed with IMAX cameras. There were some shots done on 35mm that we had to upscale and crop to fix the IMAX aspect ratio, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I imagine the home release of the IMAX version is going to do something similar - have the 35mm parts of the move letterboxed, and the IMAX sections either pillarboxed or cropped at the top and bottom to fit a modern 16:9 screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Cameo posted:

I do wonder if Cyborg’s in the background because he’s the character witnessing all of this going down in some self-projection stuff like what was in those original, pre-Whedon trailers where he’s walking around in his college clothes or if he’s actually in this future.

Snyder did a Q&A a few years ago and apparently Cyborg is the one who does the calculations that allow Flash to travel back in time to warn Bruce in BvS, so it's likely that he's actually still alive in that timeframe.
It's also supposed to explain why Flash is "too soon" in BvS. Because Flash can travel through time but not space, they need the Earth to be at the same point in its rotation around the sun, or else he'll end up floating in the void when he gets to the past. Cyborg's able to calculate two viable points in spacetime for Flash to visit, but Batman remembers that the one they chose initially was too early, so he gets them to go to the other one instead, and may be what triggers his premonitions in this movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Snyder's also perfectly willing to cut abusers from his movies. Tig Notaro replaced Chris D'Elia in Army of the Dead after the stuff about him surfaced. Having Leto and Miller in Justice League is unfortunate, and if this was a one-off production rather than the capstone of a franchise Snyder's spent years working on, he might recast them too.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

Also its very hard to see but theres a ton of shots that they intentionally leave the curvature of the corners of the 35mm negatives in any shot theyre in.

Look at the top left and bottom left edges compared to the others. If you watch those corners throughout the trailer you'll notice the shift between shots where its present and where its not.

Theres something incredibly novel and cool about them leaving such an analogue image artifact in to shots with a heavy amount of digital effects.

Its like Fabian and Snyder didnt want to leave out a single millimeter of image from a single frame of their footage.

Some of the 100% CGI shots have the corners too, which I wasn't expecting. Adding imperfections to things is a common trick to make things subconsciously more real, so it's nice that they're paying enough attention to it that the stuff being added is stylistically in line with the rest of the movie.

Ironically, cutting off the corners is a sign that they're not cutting corners.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

That always bothered me about Thor in the MCU. He's the closest thing to Superman in the MCU, he's no secret, and there are others like him openly walking around Earth by the time of Endgame, but at most people like to pose with him for selfies and he plays Fortnight (how funny and not self-serious!). They don't do anything interesting with the fact that god aliens live among them.

Has Marvel ever had Thor condemn the white supremacist groups that utilize Norse mythology like they did with the Punisher skull stuff?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think it was between him and Hugh Jackman.

We did do some early animation tests with Danny DeVito's voice, but I think it was mostly just a "let's see what happens" kind of thing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ryan Reynolds is 19 years older than Justice Smith, who was 23 when the movie was filmed, so it technically works but it's definitely a little odd to see Reynolds starting to take Dad roles.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 23, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Julius CSAR posted:

What if it was Jon Stewart GL but played John Stewart in blackface, but then again Geoff Johns isn’t around anymore so it probably won’t happen

I'd say it'd be hard to pull off since Jon Stewart already appeared in BvS as himself, but then I remembered that Ocean Master is also the president of the United States, so I guess anything's possible.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/CultSnyder/status/1366454548240478211?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

well why not posted:

stammering rambles about internet memes.

So he should talk like Eisenberg Luthor.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well Ledger's Joker is good at sowing chaos, but it turns out that his theories on people's innate badness are totally wrong.

The "Citizens of Gotham" were totally willing to destroy the criminals though. He's half right in that it doesn't take much for "good" people to descend into darkness, especially if they feel that doing evil still makes them morally right, but he fails to understand that people who have been condemned as "evil" still have the capacity to do good.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The movie also tracks in some of the score from Sunshine during her First Flight moment, which is kind of a weird choice since it's used so often in trailers and things that it would be familiar to audiences as something distinctly modern.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, WB is the studio that literally thought "BvS was too dark" meant "have more scenes take place during the day".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McCloud posted:

Oh my god, is that why they changed the Superman vs the league fight to take place during the day?!

I don't know about that one, but it's why we had to change the Russia sequence from night to day.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wouldn't mind if they pulled back on some of the grading. They really killed a lot of detail in shots like the beam struggle by blowing out the highlights.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

A lot of movies get new grades for home releases anyway - usually to brighten them a bit to compensate for the amount of ambient lighting in most home viewing environments. I think the 2014 Godzilla movie didn't get this treatment, so it seems really dark compared to other movies.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

It that line from Jonathan Kent "Fly son, it's time." new?

Chris Terrio really likes having characters talk to their dead dads, doesn't he?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

"Make your own future / Make your own past"

Reminder that this guy's dad is Doctor Manhattan. With The Comedian and Miles Dyson, Snyder's dad-casting is pretty good.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

teagone posted:

Just watching this again that sounds like Laurence Fishburne delivering pontificating some lines, right? Or am I crazy? :tinfoil: There's scenes between Perry and Cyborg?

It's Silas Stone.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

From what I've heard about that sequence, there's definitely some Matrix inspiration, so it's probably intentional.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McCloud posted:

There's been some questions about where the 70 million went to if not for additional scenes, and one chunk of that money went to unfuck the vfx on already existing footage, presumably Steppenwolfs, whose design was changed early on to the less spiky version we saw in the theatrical cut (with the motivation it was "less intimidating").

I also remember us being told that the design was changing because the studio wanted it to be closer to the current design in the comics. If they were also worried about him being too intimidating they should have just put Jack Kirby's tall green hat on him.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tomtrek posted:

The website has been updated with a list of international release information.... but a lot of countries are still listed as "TBD" (including UK...):

https://zacksnydersjusticeleague.dcuniverseinfinite.com/

Interesting that the "meet the characters" section has a nice promo shot for everyone except Darkseid and Steppenwolf, who are just using low-res screengrabs from the trailers. The marketing budget must be pretty low if they're not even bothering to pay for promo renders of those guys.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently Dogma comes down to the rights to the movie being personally owned by the Weinsteins, and with all the current distribution deals lapsed, someone would need to actively seek out a business deal with Harvey Weinstein to get the movie released again.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

And we were told she was his favorite character in the movie too (or more accurately, the only character he didn't hate).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I think 300 is his most overrated film, I say this as someone who likes it too.

I think about the criticisms leveled against it and I think it was also probably his most unfortunately and ill-timed release. If it were released today, especially either before or after his Owl film, people would view it more as its defenders do (a film about the effectiveness of propaganda) rather than being a rally cry for invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yeah, I rewatched it last night in the run-up to JL, and even though it's in-universe war propaganda from the point of view of a society that Snyder and even Frank Miller understand are pretty hosed up and pointedly not people you want to emulate (baby skulls), it's really effective at selling their point of view. There's a reason so many impressionable teenage boys memed the lines from that movie when it came out.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

I did like that his initial plan was to call up Affleck and Leto and shoot the scene in his back garden with just the three of them.

It would be kind of funny for the theatrical version to start with iPhone footage, and the Snyder Cut to end with it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Darko posted:

Let's see some Goku reboot.

Does this mean we'd get Michael Shannon as Vegeta?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

roffels posted:

Yes. They cut the runtime of it pretty close to release.

For a certain definition of "close to release". The additional VFX work for the Ultimate Edition was done at the end of 2015, a few months after the rest of the movie had finished, so it was more a case of Snyder delivering the studio edit and then building it back up to his preferred version of the movie afterwards.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I have a story. A friend of my brother's was a driver on the film and production stopped for several days because Bryan Singer vanished to go to mardi gras. It's not creepy or anything but it is massively unprofessional. I think he pulled something similar on that Queen film he did.

This is like, a third-hand anecdote, so I don't know for sure that it's true, but apparently when one of our sister studios was doing VFX for one of the X-Men movies and Singer visited for a day, they specifically and intentionally assigned a runner to him and his entourage that was "his type".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

el oso posted:

But :laffo: at Hallejulah in the end credits, c'mon

With context (that the movie isn't going to provide, naturally) it's quite a nice thing to end on for the project. Apparently it was the favorite song of his daughter (who the film is dedicated to), and the version used in the credits is by the person who sang it at her funeral.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Its Chocolate posted:

I'm watching a torrent of this and it's so Epic lol. it starts with Superman's yelp echoing around the whole world in slow mo, including this terrible composite shot of Zuckerberg

Yeah, that part of the sequence definitely wasn't this long when we were first working on it. Originally it was just the first shot that opens the movie, and the wide shot that travels over the bay. The Lois/Batman/Diana cutaways seem to be new additions, and I'm guessing the Luthor shots are as well.

It's likely that since this movie is coming out 5 years after BvS instead of 1 like it was originally scheduled for, those shots were added to remind people who may have forgotten who was all there to see Superman's death, or in Luthor's case, didn't watch the Ultimate Edition.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Whatever happened to gim, anyways? Did he stop making movies?

It looks like he's been working on commercials the past few years, but he also did a shortlived Wizard of Oz series for NBC in 2017

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

I might be misremembering, but I thought there were articles like a decade ago about how Lucas turned in a huge pile of boring space opera poo poo that was extremely recut by an editor into what we know as a new hope. Judging by what he also turned in for the prequels, that struck me as making a lot of sense.

That's something of an overstatement - the original rough cut was allegedly pretty bad, but it didn't have any of the music or special effects finished so it was just a bunch of people talking about space bullshit without any context. Most of the actual deleted scenes were begrudgingly added to the script by Lucas at the behest of his friends (who, admittedly were people like Coppola, Spielberg, and De Palma) because they wanted him to introduce Luke earlier rather than following the droids for the first 20 minutes of the movie. Those were also the guys who told him the rough cut sucked, though most rough cuts are going to because it's basically just the script laid out from end to end. The rest of the editing process would have been supervised by Lucas, so it's not like the editors went rogue and secretly made "Star Wars: Good Version" while Lucas was off buying white sneakers or whatever.

One of the biggest contributions to the edit was the ticking clock element of the Death Star battle, which originally didn't have that countdown tension, though I think having people unfamiliar with the story doing the editing was just a huge help regardles. Lucas filmed the fourth draft of the script, and had been developing the characters and the world for years at that point, so there was probably a bunch of poo poo he just took for granted about the movie, while the editors came at it from the perspective of "what is a star war" and helped to put it together in a way that the audience would understand.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Glottis posted:

is there anything they wouldn't even let him put in this cut? Or did he basically get carte blanche

He wanted to have John Stewart Green Lantern show up at the end (and even filmed it that way), but WB told him they had plans for the character and he took Martian Manhunter as a compromise.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ammanas posted:

so darkseid prepares loads and moves his armada to earth within 8.5 months of the end of JL? seems pretty fast, must be nearby

Probably would use whatever's the local equivalent of the Phantom Drive Jor-El used to send Clark to Earth.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

roffels posted:

If you do some side by sides, there are definitely some cropped and squished shots to make 4x3 in the Snyder cut. Notably some of the shots during speed-force time in the fight against Superman, and some of the shots in the Wonder Woman opening fight had the sides of the image cropped.

Those ones specifically are a result of the cameras. The slow-mo stuff used a high speed digital camera that had a different aspect ratio than the 35mm cameras used for the rest of the movie. Would've been fine for the original theatrical release since it was closer to the native AR of the high speed cameras, and cropped for the HBO Max version to maintain a consistent ratio (Unlike say, Transformers 5, which cuts back and forth between aspect ratios on a shot-by-shot basis depending on the camera).

This happened on BvS as well - some of the IMAX sequences included widescreen 35mm footage that had to be upscaled and cropped/reframed to keep things consistent for that release.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 21, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

KVeezy3 posted:

That reminds me, Superman psychotically smiling while beating down Steppenwolf will always be a black mark on this film for me. I get the part where he's happy to be back and dodging Steppenwolf's blows, but the other parts are just unsettling. Too light-happy, not my superman, etc.

Any moments in particular come to mind? The only times I can remember him actually smiling are his smirk when he no-sells the axe, and when he dodges Steppenwolf's slow-mo grab. The rest from my recollection are angry-eyes or CG Neutral-face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, Zod didn't really get much of a chance to scream. You know...because of the broken neck.

In a nice bit of continuity, Superman's death already has the scream & shockwaves in BvS.